IC Pipe and TB Sizing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's an over ten year old dream of mine. One of the things I learned during this build (taught to me by Calesta) is to go higher in compression with a good tune in order to have the turbo spool faster. I really hope I quoted him properly on that.

At a 10:1 compression it will be right at GSR compression, which means that the lower end will be just as strong as the top and middle.

The turbo will be a T3/T4, by the way.

EDIT: Anything over 10:1 would not be a good idea to boost.

Werd. Thats one thing Ive learned since I got into Hondas. I myself wanna try to stay just under 10.0:1, but Im on the fence between 9.5 or 9.0. Ill have it figured out soon enough lol.

What is your...ahh, I can't think how to word this now I'm so tired....thinking for staying under 10:1? Eh, something like that. haha You are wanting to be able to run more boost?

EDIT: Man, I can't even think straight I'm so freakin' tired. If it wasn't for this site, I would be asleep at work. haha

Yup, Im runnin a lower CR so I can run more boost. My ultimate plan is to have a pretty mean street/strip car with 2 seperate tunes. I plan on runnin the car at the track on race gas regularly, being as theres a track that holds open test and tunes every Wednesday and Friday that happens to be on my way home from work lol. I want a nice low power street tune, and that lower CR will get me a lil more fuel economy, but then when I wanna let it all hang out with some Sunoco race fuel, I can switch chips and have a high boost race tune ready to go.

Yup, Im runnin a lower CR so I can run more boost. My ultimate plan is to have a pretty mean street/strip car with 2 seperate tunes. I plan on runnin the car at the track on race gas regularly, being as theres a track that holds open test and tunes every Wednesday and Friday that happens to be on my way home from work lol. I want a nice low power street tune, and that lower CR will get me a lil more fuel economy, but then when I wanna let it all hang out with some Sunoco race fuel, I can switch chips and have a high boost race tune ready to go.

Brilliant! I like your way of thinking. :thumbsup:

my thoughts on the matter are and they are just my thoughts . match your piping tothe compressor outlet size , and TB inlet size

Brilliant! I like your way of thinking. :thumbsup:

Why thank you. Ya, its gunna cost more to tune, but in all reality Im not ever gunna need 400 plus horse on the street, although it would be lots of fun. :D Hopefully runnin that low power tune will help my motor last a little bit longer too.

my thoughts on the matter are and they are just my thoughts . match your piping tothe compressor outlet size , and TB inlet size

I think quite a few ppl share your thoughts on this, and they make it work for them too.

Why thank you. Ya, its gunna cost more to tune, but in all reality Im not ever gunna need 400 plus horse on the street, although it would be lots of fun. :D Hopefully runnin that low power tune will help my motor last a little bit longer too.

I think quite a few ppl share your thoughts on this, and they make it work for them too.

Your lower compression is going to cost more to tune? Or what is?

No not the lower compression, having to make 2 seperate tunes will. There is no way Im gunna try to tune my motor by myself, so Im paying a very experienced person in my area to do it. And just having to burn seperate chips is gunna cost me a lil more. Im also breaking my motor in off boost so when its all said and done my project will have seen at least 3 different tunes.

Ah, I see. Will you be using a boost controller as well?

I've wondered about having two separate tunes for my build. I wonder though, would that be possible with such a compression of 10:1?

Ill be using Crome to control boost just for ease and simplicity. I was origianlly thinkin of runnin a Gizzmo boost controller because its loaded with functions, but thats just one more thing to deal with and depend on.

I dont see why you couldnt run 2 tunes. My main reason is for fuel economy, but in your case (high compression, low boost) I dunno if youll notice enough difference to make the cost of another tune worth while. Im just about gunna cut power output in half, so Ill see a pretty fair difference. You could always have a pump gas tune and a race tune tho. You could keep your 330 horse goal for pump gas, then since the parts your using will permit it, you could run race fuel and crank the power levels way up.

Mine will be tuned with Hondata s200 which has every option, as you already know. Race gas is something which I highly doubt I will get into using at all. I wonder if it would be possible to have a 330 tune and then one around 380? At this point my main focus is to pay off my parts first, as I have yet to actually purchase my pistons. That and my transmission I'm leaving until later, as I could change my mind on the compression. Eh, maybe I should drop it down to 9:5? I thought about 9:1, but I just do not want to lose the power in the bottom end.

What do you think would be a good compromise of both compression and power?

380 horse is deffinitly attainable, not even a hard stretch really. Im also leaving my tranny and the goodies Im gunna fill it with until last, along with motor mounts and shift linkage. As far as the compromise between power and compression, Im really not the person to ask, just because of my lack of experience.

Ive seen quite a few ppl using around 10:1 compression and pushin their motors into the mid 300's tho. I definitly like the idea of more compression with less boost. Really it pays off two fold. You have more power down low which will make the torque curve a lot smoother, and youll be able to spool the turbo faster so youll be makin power a lot sooner. Over the past few weeks Ive been considering uppin my compression. As you know I was considering between 9.0 and 9.5:1, but now Im thinkin about goin somewhere between 9.5 and 10.25:1.

I think Ive already posted a link, but Ill post it again
www.b20vtec.com
The site is pretty bad for ppl givin out bad advice, but its peppered with some pretty useful stuff. There are quite a few ppl on there runnin full GSR's with boost, and loving the results. If you get time, Id suggest lookin through the boost and engine building forums on there for some insight on high compression boosted setups. But, like I said it takes some time to find posts that arent bursting with bullshit lol.

Thanks for the link. I can always use something else to read and educate myself with...after I weed out all of the bullshit. haha Do you have AIM by chance?

Also, 10.25:1? Wow! You have balls. haha Personally, I do not know how well that would work, but I am sure you could pull it off.

It's a good thing we haven't bought our pistons yet, eh? :D

It's a good thing we haven't bought our pistons yet, eh? :D

:werd: This is soo true lol. Its gunna hafta be a purchase based on my mood when have the cash in my hand. On this build the chances of goin to 10.25:1 arent to high, but thats not to say that my extra block wont see somethin along those lines. If I do build somethin with that much compression, the power goal will be fairly low, and Im gunna use the turbo as more of a mid range enhancement, not something to bump my peak horse power up. Also, if I get around to a second build Ill be focusing more on gettin a nice broad torque curve thatll give me lots of power that I can use on the street or tight twisty little road course.

I do have AIM, but Im not logged in too often. You can get my AOL screen name out of my HS profile, but like I said, I dont log in too often.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me. My second "build" is not much of a build at all. I am just planning on boosting my stock Y7, just so I can get my feet wet in boost, so to speak. I picked up an HF manifold today, so I'll have to get an adapter plate made but eh, I'm going to take my time as there are a LOT more important things on my plate right now.

We'll have to log on at the same time and bullshit on there some time.

Ya I hear you. I look at it this way, practice makes perfect. You can get knowledge of setups and what not from write ups and other ppl, but it takes some first hand trial and error some times lol.

Ya I mostly get on HS when Im work, and not very much at home, so I cant log into AIM. Every once in a while tho Im able to log in.

Meebo.com is the most convenient way I've found to log onto AIM. I refuse to install AOL on my desktop.

I wish I had the chance to dip my hands into some parts of these projects. Heck, part selection is the most I get to "dip" into, so that's good enough for me for now.

I'm wondering how to go about getting an adapter plate for this HF manifold though. I spoke with Mike (Calesta) last night and he told me that it has to be off set by thirty degrees, the plate that is. Otherwise I would lose my a/c. Have you seen any places that might sell adapters?

Forgive the slight thread jackage. Consider it more as a thread massage. :D

Hey no worries, the original topic doesnt have much goin for it anymore lol. Again, Im not really the person to ask. About all I know is that the HF manifolds make a nice alternative to a tubular one, but I dont know anything else. As for places that might sell em, if all else fails Id go check out the machine shops in your area. The labor rate will be the most expensive part, but like I said thats a last resort kinda deal.

I personally have decided what to do about the piping and what not. I'm going to order the piping set online somehwere. I can't remember the name of the site off hand as I am at work right now, but I'm sure, or rather hope, it is bookmarked at home somewhere.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a machine shop. How much will the labor be is something that I am pondering about right now.

Back