Idel problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bmcracing

I have a 98 gsr engine in a 93 civic, the ecu is from a 94 gsr. Whenever the engine is in open loop (before the engine and sensors warm up) it idels just fine. Although when running in closed loop it wants to die all the time at idel. It gets to 1000 rpm and then just out of the blue, shuts off the engine. I was wondering if by chipping the ecu (sence a chippd ecu ONLY runs in open loop) will fix this problem. It is becoming huge annoyance and I am about to just go and by another p72 since this has only recently started happening. What a possibility of it is, I was adding a socket to the ecu for ez chipping, and I was a dumb @$$ and wasnt paying attention to where i was spitting the soldier that i had pickd up with the desoldier. It got all over the ecu internals. I then later fixed the ecu by cleaning up all the spots of soder and it is as clean as stock now but this is when and how the problem started. I know if i force it to run in open loop (put the jumper in with no chip) it will idel fine no matter how warmed up the engine is. so this is why i am hoping to fix it with a chip ty later

yes i did this about 4 months ago. a chip should work right?? since it will then be in open loop which it works perfectly in already....

You are very confused, and somewhat impatient.

-not all chips run in open loop only. Most still run in closed loop, in fact.
-The car is not in open loop when it starts: the car uses cold start enrichment in cold weather, which is a closed loop correction mechanism.
-A chip that runs open loop all the time will waste gas and is not guaranteed to fix your problem.

Do you have a helms manual? Have you followed the idle troubleshooting procedure yet?
Things to check:
-Jumper timing connector, is your timing set to 16 deg?
-Unplug IACV (idle air control valve - you will get a code but it can be cleared) and see if the car idles once warm.
-Try setting/adjusting the idle adjust screw per helms and then reconnecting the IACV
-Try removing/disconnecting the fast idle valve, if you have one.

Back