Identify my engine.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rcbamm

Hi all, I am new here to Honda Swap and am hoping I can learn all about my Honda engine I have. I hope I have this in the right section.
Ok, so..
My Dad bought this engine a few years ago from a engine importer in Miami. My Dad told me it has less then 50k miles on it and he bought it for a Del Sol that one of my older brothers blew the engine in. The Del Sol never got fixed and ended up going to the junk yard (wish I had it now!) and about 5 months ago I got a 1978 Clubman Estate wagon (mini cooper wagon) that I am restoring. about 3 months into tearing down my Mini, I am at the point to where I need to start putting panels back into it. So, as I am saving money I am also thinking.... My Mini had a 1098cc carburetor engine in it, and when I drove it before I took it all apart, it was dog slow. My brother pulled on me with my 5hp go kart on a dead stop drag race. And I'm thinking... I drove this thing without any interior, only the two front seats and rear seats, and they weigh nothing, and I want to put all the interior back in it and more and by the time my Mini is all restored with the 1098cc engine, it's going to be even slower! so I don't want that... and I have this Honda engine, and want to use it in my Mini to make it get up and go.
All I know about this engine is that it is a ZC SOHC 16 Valve engine. I would really like to find out exactly how much HP it has, where I can find some online manuals or something to learn about it. I am guessing it is a D16A6? I'm not sure, but check out the pictures.
Any help will be appriciated!
Thanks! -Dan

Last edited:
that looks like a d16a6 to me but the a6 i dont think were ever marked ZC.
it may be a ZC block with an a6 head. But the safe bet to me is the A6

yeah I'v read the whole wikipedia page as I was studying the engine today. Wikipedia didn't help much. It will help when I find out what it is exactly lol

it is a JDM SOHC non-VTEC ZC - 1.6 liter - came in 88-91 JDM Civic 56i, 92-95 Civic Beagle (OBD1) and a couple of others - it was listed at 118hp - essentially, it is the same as the D16A6 but has bigger camshaft - this is a translated page from the JDM Civic 56i brochure:

ZC56i_2-1.jpg

Last edited:
the SOHC ZC also came as a dual carb version at 105hp - here is a picture of the carbs from one - we have swapped at least a dozen of the SOHC ZCs into the 88-91 cars

dualcarb.jpg

dual carb? you can run this thing on a carberator?:eek:
sure, you can run carbs on anything if you have the right parts, i.e. intake manifold, distributor - carb or carbs in your case would make a lot of sense because of the simplification of the engine wiring - with carbs, you don't need the ECU and all of the sensors required to run fuel injection - this is our DOHC ZC running dual Weber carbs

carbsfront-2.jpg

wow, that is pretty sweet. This is my first computer operated engine I have worked on. All my life I have only messed around with carburetor engines and what do you know, my first car's engine is a carburetor engine hah. Not any more though. My Honda Mini build is on! This engine is for sure going in my Mini no matter what and am definately going to turbo charge it to make it keep up with the Vtec Minis out there :D

Will post a build thread about my Mini somewhere else (I guess) on this forum.

Back