Identifying a block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hello hondaswap guru's. After searching the reference material section and using the "search button" need help identifying a block. I'm picking up a jdm b16a long block from a guy in NC today, and he's claiming that its the jdm b16a out of a 1995 sirII 170hp/116tq.

1. Is there any special #'s or markings on the block that I should look for?

2. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

I don't want to get scammed. :)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Reemo-

If it says "B16A" and no numbers after the block it is most likely JDM. I am not sure, but I do not think there is a way to tell the exact year of car the motor came out of. Make sure it is OBD1, it will most likely have grey injector plugs. If you really want to make sure it is an SIRII then you can pull the head, and look at the pistons, they should say P30 on them. If they say PR3 then it is an SIR1 motor. The valve cover is also different on SIRII cars, I think the VTEC lettering is larger, I will have to check later as I do not have my valve cover with me.

Thanks man, I was sure about the "B16A" stamp on the block being a JDM sir motor but I wasn't sure how to tell what gen. it came out of. I know the sirII has the highest factory hp rating for the b16's and that's what I wanted. I do remember seeing some #'s right above or below the exhaust side of the block.

We're pulling the head today to find out if it is indeed an sirII motor. Will the pistons have the p30 stamp on the dome of the pistons??????

Thanks again, :D

:yes: , but you may have to clean off some of the carbon to see it.

Thanks "Dtec" & MaaseyRacer.

One more question...... :worthy:

How can you read the year of the block?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I hope you guys don't mind.

Thanks again.

theres little circular castings with the month and year of manufacture cast into the head(just above the exhaust manifold/ports.) theres some on the block too but I forget where.

:thumbsup:

I don't know where the manufacture date stampings are on the block either...

Back