Idiot or genius? Happy about $8 gas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:bs:
gas prices are related to global supply and demand, and the cost of getting it out of the ground. the days of spending $1 a barrel to get it out of the ground are also gone. Not saying that i love the gas prices, but with the recent hikes in price we still get it cheaper then most oil importing countries in the world.

Have the machines and processes changed so drastically in eight years that it requires a 400% increase in final consumer prices?

However the question was "Who is they" in relation to the money trail and who likes prices as high as possible. This your rebuttal does not address. You went on this "where do gas prices come from" rant instead.

The main problem is our dollar is worth about the same as the monopoly money it's starting to look like. Second to that is this SUV and giant vehicle addiction. You buy a vehicle that demands three and four times the gasoline of vehicles only a few years back, expect prices to reflect your newfound crack-cocaine. Thirdly are the explosions in development of third world countries. India (where we sent our jobs four for years) and China (where we get our money) are just loving every second of this rollercoaster ride.

we are cheaper for one reason: taxes.

canada, uk, etc all have more expensive oil.
they also have free healthcare, free college, etc etc which is more or less funded from gasonline sales.

That said, the ceo of exxon mobil made, what, 2 billion last year in salary? it's absurd. you can't SPEND 2 billion a year. impossible.

That said, the ceo of exxon mobil made, what, 2 billion last year in salary? it's absurd. you can't SPEND 2 billion a year. impossible.

You don't dream big enough.

Full on castle with peasant houses and a 30 foot rock wall surrounding your "kingdom" Maids/buttlers/chef/etc. Indy car track complete with cars/tools/crew. A fleet of tanks that shoot giant paintballs. A personal jet, an acrobatic plane, and some old cruiser just for fun.. A sailing yacht, a powered yacht for those times that you are feeling lazy.. Ski boat, bass boat, etc. You'll need your own personal lake to play in, of course.

I could blow 2 billion in 2 weeks.

i would love the opportunity to have "brewsters millions". hookers, booze, and coke. then waste the rest.

that still isn't close to $2billion though.

confining people to local areas will lead to higher crime rates in the cities, overpopulation, more polution, overcrowding. god, look at cities like Mexico city and Beijing. They are dumps.

Is that really so bad? Your living closer together, everything is within walking distance. You could take the bus, subway, train, taxi etc. Could saves tons on gas depending on where you work. Houses and taxes are alot cheaper in some cities (mine for example). Most cities have good and bad areas, not to mention living closer together is anti urban sprawl.

The way I see it, the public schools would be about the worst thing.

I'm generally not a fan of gas prices, I commute 90 miles a day, and even though I drive a Civic, my gas budget went from $40-50 a week to close to 80. Diesel is even worse, and I think the price of diesel is more of a concern than gasoline. Pretty soon consumer goods are going to increase in price drastically enough to maybe prevent people from buying them. Heating oil is tauted to reach $5.50 a gallon by december, up like what, $2.50 a gallon from last year? What happens to families who have to trade off heating their homes, feeding their kids, or commuting to work? I'd like all those elitist liberals to answer me that.

And the increase in price? Clearly a manipulation of supply, market prices (theres an investigation going on now), and processing. I really fail to see how a drop in crude production, or the price of oil FUTURES effects the price of the commodity on a daily basis. Watching gas prices is like a fucking game show these days.
Someone needs to step in and regulate the trading of the commodity, and Congress needs to step up and approve more refineries and drilling. Additionally, something needs to be done with the special interest groups on each side - big oil and the "greenies".

I see the future getting more and more bleak every time oil futures climb. Gas theft, diesel theft, riots, violence, robbery, etc. This may be a rude wakeup call, but an increase this fast this soon is nothing but trouble for American society in general.

easier said than done.. 2 billion dollars is a fuckload of money

I can attest to many things at UPS changing, dacheat, as I have worked there for thirteen years. I'm a dispatch Supervisor and we have had to cut a lot of the runs in our department because people are not shipping as much as well. The volume has been down a lot as of late and lots of drivers are being sent back down to package. No one is happy about it really. It is just interesting how much all of this has affected everyone in general.

I got a second job a month ago to help me financially and my build, and now it seems that it will be helping me fill my tank up. haha Sad but true.

I worked at UPS for about 2 years, but ship with FedEx and USPS :p If anything, UPS screws over a lot of customers and their own employees anyway.

Ok, with that out of the way, whatever happened to the hybrid trucks? I remember seeing something on UPSers webpage or somewhere in the building about building hybrid trucks or biodiesel trucks. Over here, they're still using old trucks, getting rid of good workers(or screwing them somehow), and giving retards raises and promotions.

I believe the way of the future is monorails/public transportation...and with technology we have; at-home jobs. A lot of people are too lazy or impatient to use public transportation though :/

I worked at UPS for about 2 years, but ship with FedEx and USPS :p If anything, UPS screws over a lot of customers and their own employees anyway.

Same here, Kevin. haha I usually only ship through the Post Office and may actually ship a block that I am selling through FedEx, just because it is cheaper.

As far as screwing their own employees, after thirteen years there, you don't have to tell me that twice.

I'm generally not a fan of gas prices, I commute 90 miles a day, and even though I drive a Civic, my gas budget went from $40-50 a week to close to 80. Diesel is even worse, and I think the price of diesel is more of a concern than gasoline. Pretty soon consumer goods are going to increase in price drastically enough to maybe prevent people from buying them. Heating oil is tauted to reach $5.50 a gallon by december, up like what, $2.50 a gallon from last year? What happens to families who have to trade off heating their homes, feeding their kids, or commuting to work? I'd like all those elitist liberals to answer me that.

And the increase in price? Clearly a manipulation of supply, market prices (theres an investigation going on now), and processing. I really fail to see how a drop in crude production, or the price of oil FUTURES effects the price of the commodity on a daily basis. Watching gas prices is like a fucking game show these days.
Someone needs to step in and regulate the trading of the commodity, and Congress needs to step up and approve more refineries and drilling. Additionally, something needs to be done with the special interest groups on each side - big oil and the "greenies".

I see the future getting more and more bleak every time oil futures climb. Gas theft, diesel theft, riots, violence, robbery, etc. This may be a rude wakeup call, but an increase this fast this soon is nothing but trouble for American society in general.

For a lot of families the kids are going to have to go without. Since consumer goods go up in price and gas is so expensive what money does that leave people with lower incomes to spend. A lot of families will have to cut back on basics like food, heat, toys for kids, etc. With more more going to gas and high prices of goods there will be less spending. Meaning layoffs and companies cutting back across the board. This will lead to more welfare and unemployment. I just think that gas is going up too much where our economy can't take the blow. We aren't prepared for this. Say if it went up 3-5% a year to stay near the rate of inflation then we could handle it. Most people I know get a 2-5% raise each year if they do not get a promotion. So if things were kept in line it could work. I am not a tree hugging hippie but I just have a feeling this could bring down the country.
If gas goes up to $8 a gallon soon and say minimum wage is 7.25 an hour. If a person uses say 7 gallons of gas a week to go to work and works 40 hours a week. That is $290 a week in wages before taxes and $56 a week in gas just to go to work. Thats $234 before taxes that the person has to spend. I think after a while people just stop going to work, especially the lower wage workers.

I am not a tree hugging hippie but I just have a feeling this could bring down the country.

Stressing several basic infrastructure points (energy and transportation, both of which have ripple effects like an earthquake) to the breaking point all at once will topple a country quick. You don't need to be a treehugger to realize that fact.

You'll know it's *REAL* bad when your sack of weed goes up because of gas prices. When Pablo Escobar has to send out a letter starting with "Due to rising energy costs...", you know something is very wrong.

Last edited:
Stressing several basic infrastructure points (energy and transportation, both of which have ripple effects like an earthquake) to the breaking point all at once will topple a country quick. You don't need to be a treehugger to realize that fact.

You'll know it's *REAL* bad when your sack of weed goes up because of gas prices. When Pablo Escobar has to send out a letter starting with "Due to rising energy costs...", you know something is very wrong.

Haha, one of my friends noted this a few days ago, funny you should mention it.

And keeping in line with Jeefs comment, rising gas prices - especially going into the winter months - will cause a lot of blowback, both in crime (people funding their family), unemployment and in rising shelter numbers.

My family is buying a wood pellet stove this summer, and provided we can run it all winter, it should cut our oil bill at least in half. But it requires a significant upfront investment, which some families cannot afford. We'll be okay, but I feel horrible for the people that already have to stretch their pennies in the winter months.

Oil riots anyone?

i'm still trying to figure out a way to make a damn in the river on the side of my house to set up a water wheel.

Back