1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idle increases when i turn on my lights

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 95preludetypes, Nov 17, 2004.

1. 95preludetypes

95preludetypes Member

When i turn the headlights on in my 95 prelude the idle increases by almost 300 rpms. dose this have something to do with the alternator thanks for your help.

2. preludebuddy

preludebuddy Senior Member

my 94 type s did that too, i just ignored it. i eventually ran into the problem of my lights shutting on and off while driving, which sucked. it turned out to be one of the wire connectors, but it got fried twice before my lights started working again.

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

get you alt tested and check all the connections on the battery aswell

4. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

How much does it increase? A minimal amount you should worry about, as the lights draw current from the Alternator and cuase the engine to rev higher (like 50RPM's) to accomodate the load of the lights. Just an idea, but I wouldnt worry about anything.

5. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

The RPMs rise because of the electrical load detector. The ECU knows when there is increased electrical load on the alternator, and signals the IACV to react accordingly. It just overreacts sometimes.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted