Idle Issues, And Checked Many Things

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bitzbp

Hello everyone, my project is near completion and I have encountered a problem. First a little update on what I have done.

I put the drivetrain from LS-Avenger's old integra (96 M62 s/c obd2 LS motor and tranny) into my 94 automatic LS integra. So now the car is manual but running with the AUTO OBD1 ecu.

Ok so right now the car is running but the idle is going crazy!!! It will go from 1000 to 2000 rpms and it never really settles even when the car is warmed up. The car ISN'T throwing any codes either. Here are the things that I HAVE done:

- Let the car warm up and tried to get all the bubbles out of the cooling system.
- Replaced the IACV. And when I cover the hole in the TB completely the motor does die.
- Its a 96 manual motor so there ISN'T a FITV.
- Tried to find any vacuum leaks.
- Replaced the O2 sensor, but the exhaust is disconnected from behind the header, so basically there is nothing after the header, no piping at all, but the O2 sensor is still in the header where it is getting a reading.

I am lost now. Like I said the car never settles in its idle even after being warmed up. But its strange, when I disconnect the harness for the IACV, the car will idle right at about 1000 rpms and occasionally it will fluctuate a little bit, but for the most part it settles. When I do that though, the car doesn't seem to respond well to the throttle, meaning its much more labored then when the IACV is connected.

Things I have been thinking it could be:

- LS-Avenger's old car used to have the J&S knocksensor system on it and some of the wires are left from that, so I thought that could be part of the problem.
- Maybe the TPS or MAP sensors, but there are no codes being thrown for those things and when I unplug them, the motor runs like crap or dies.

If anyone can offer some help I would appreciate it greatly. It sucks to have gotten this far with the project and then be stuck at such a silly point.

I think that something in those instructions is incorrect...... I thought that if you unplug your IACV then the idle will go down.... On every honda I've tried it on (not many) it brings the idle down.

Also he left out a few things to try, but basically those things he lists I've already done except for checking the TPS. I'll try that tonight but I don't believe thats the issue, because unplugging it has a drastic NEGATIVE effect on the way my car idles and runs in general.

But thanks for the help and if you can think of anything else PLEASE let me know. Its got to be something stupid.

Does anyone think that the fact that there is no exhaust on the car right after the O2 sensor would affect it? Or is there something I need to do in order to tell the AUTO ecu to run the car in "D"?

These are just some other things I was thinking today. Please let me know if this could be an issue.

I had a idle problem that sounds pretty similar. The plate in the throtle body was warped and the idle was going crazy because it was sticking. We shaved the sides of the plate and the problem immediatly went away, cost me nothin.

Originally posted by Reny64@aol.com@Jun 3 2003, 09:33 PM
I had a idle problem that sounds pretty similar. The plate in the throtle body was warped and the idle was going crazy because it was sticking. We shaved the sides of the plate and the problem immediatly went away, cost me nothin.

Wow I never would have thought of that.....That must have been a bitch to track down. I don't think this is my problem though.

Tonight I checked the TPS sensor and it is operating within the proper voltage, so I know its not that. Also I got the car to idle at about 800-900 once the car is fully warmed up, but when its cold it is still very erratic. I replaced the IACV already so I don't think its that, but it seems like it has to be....

Someone on another board said they think its my AUTO ecu running with a manual motor thats causing my idle problems, but I'm not sure. No one else has even suggested this theory and I have heard from others that I should be fine running my auto ecu.

Any more ideas or tests I can do?

my list is correct. you are wrong. unplugging a properly functioning IAC valve will raise the idle speed... then you use the idle screw to bring the revs down to like 500 rpm, then plug it back in and usually have a normally functioning idle

we also had a car that had a bad TB gasket causing a vac leak.. check that too

Are you sure about the idle going up? Like I said in all the B18b motors (only tried it on 3) that I've done this on the idle goes down. According to two of the integra manuals I have it states the following:

1.jpg

Both of the manuals are factory service manuals for integras, one is for the 94 and the other is for a 96 and they both seem to say that the IACV RAISES the idle.

Maybe its different in different vehicles though. I'm not saying your wrong, but maybe its just that its not universally true....And I'm not trying to argue, I'm only showing you something you may have not known. If you need me to post something else from the manual let me know.

As far as my problem is concerned, I am starting to think that the AUTO ecu is the problem as a few others have started to suggest, but I am open to any other ideas...Thanks again for helping.

Back