idle jumps from 1000 to 3000

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxjon

i put in a new fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor to see if that would help but it doesn't, so i was told to take my aic off and spray that with carb cleaner but that was no help. there is no cell light and my ecu is not throwing codes

i checked that too. my swap been in the car for about almost two months and tthis is the 1st problem i ever had

Check your throttle body gasket and intake mainfold gasket... especially if you're able to just hold your foot lightly on the gas and make the engine run smooth.

Get some carburator cleaner and use that to spray around the throttlebody and injectors and intake manifold gasket areas if you have leak your motor will try and stall out, just use it to troubleshoot. also spray some of the vacuum lines that attach to the intake manifold. i found mine that way it was a loose bolt on the driver side intake manifold the hi-lo rpm is a leak somewhere and your iac valve is trying to compensate.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 22 2004, 02:27 PM
Check your throttle body gasket and intake mainfold gasket... especially if you're able to just hold your foot lightly on the gas and make the engine run smooth.

it only runs smooth if i rev over 3000 rpm

IACV??? i had that problem before. cleaned the IACV and worked for about a week and came back so i just unpluged it. now i get code 14 or 15 forgot.
i know its getto but don't have a cold idle problem in florida and saveing $ for a swap

yeah i had the same problem eventually after i swapped my head. i solved mine by buying a jdm intake mani and it went away. i had to run my old ecu, and when i put the p28 back in, it idles really low and my car shuts off. loosening the screw on the tb hasn't worked, so i think i may have a vacuum leak somewhere. if you find anything out, then let me know, but check the reference section, pissedoffsol did an article about fixing an erratic idle, and i'm in the process of going through it. :D

The fact that its making a "sucking sound" makes me think that the throttle adjust screw is loose, or improperly adjusted. As you unscrew it you get a distinct "sucking" noise becuase air is being pulled through such a small space and the car starts having really wierd problems. I bet it's screwing up your vacuum and your idling wierd becuase the computer is getting wrong readings.
I don't know exactly whats its supposed to be called, but it's the big screw thats on the throttle body. On my car it's brass colored and on the top left of the throttle plate.
It has a back stop, you can't screw it in too far, and its made to be all the way in on a properly adjusted engine, comes that way from the factory and they say don't 'screw' with it... Sorry bad joke.

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

hey John,
sorry to hear about the problem with your engine. what engine are you running now?

I've been having probs with the B16 "sputtering" between 2k and 3k rpm and this morning it was idling really rough. I'm thinking it might be the injectors and will probably run a bottle of injector cleaner through the gas... unless I hear a few people telling me not to do that from experience

good luck
Sean

Back