idle messed up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slipvayne

I really need some help. I just got a 86 civic hb si. I start it up and it revs about 2k. And after acouple of minutes of it being on, the idle starts to surge. 1500 to like 100 over and over again. I have looked it up and still cant seem to figure it out. I went ahead and changed my 02 sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, cleaned the (IACV). It also said that it could be my idle postioning sensor but when i went to the parts store they say that there isnt one for my car. Could it be called the angle control sensor or something like that. And is there a way to see if its out. Anything will help. Thanx :huh:

today when i checked my iac it was fine. but i wanted to kill the engine buy taking the positive and negitive off my battery. when i did the car still ran. is it supposed to keep running after the battery has been disconnected? :(

It'll die if you unplug the alternator. The alternator will keep your car running, your car just needs a battery to store the juice.

Could be a vacum leak, I'd check that too. Change your PCV valve too, i had the same problem, cleaned out the IACV too and it worked fine for about a minute, changed it with a used but low mileage JDM one, but before i did i cleaned the hell out of it and when i put it in i still had the same problem. Well while i was in the motor bay, I said fuck it might as well change the PCV valve too while im here and since i already bought it. After i changed it, no problem. Weird, but it worked.

The Throttle position sensor goes bad sometimes. But if it does, you'll notice some hesitation as you rev the motor as well as a bad idle.

Check for vacuum leaks.

ALso, the TPS can only be bought if you buy a new Throttle body. YOu could just try to buy a used throttle body on ebay and use the TPS. they are almost universal to every honda.

I have the exact same problem, except my idle jumps from 2K to 1.5k back and forth.

What is the PCV valve ? And what is the TPS ? Where are these on the engine bay. I have a D16Y8.

PCV Valve is on the intake manifold, under the fuel rail. Its a little elbow plastic thing. The TPS is on the throtle body.

:blink: lol they want 540 bucks for the tb and tps because on mine they dont come apart. we have a salvage yard here but all they have is a 86 honda civic hb carbbed. and mines fi.Is there a different one i can put on? they have a 88 prelude and the tb looks nice. would that work?

Back