Idle Miss

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimblecivic

I'm driving my brother's (nuc79) 90 accord ex last week when it started missing out and idling like shit.....

I figure no biggie, needs plugs, so I put a set of Bosch Platinums in--I know they aren't the best plugs for Hondas but stupidass autozone had NO denso's and only 2 NGK's...
So I put switch the plugs out only to find out that one of the plug chambers has quite a bit of oil in it...aka, bad seal on the plug chamber. I replace the valve cover gasket, all for rings for the plug chambers, and start the car.
The idle isn't as bad as it was, but it's still got a miss so I'm stumped. I call the bro and he says give plug wires a try. The car has 240xxx on the orig. motor and it's been awhile since the wires were replaced so I replace them thinking that'll take care of it. It doesn't....

Now I'm stumped and not sure what could be giving me this grief...The car runs fine while driving-I don't even think it misses unless I can't hear it....but as soon as I pull up to a light at idle it gets choppy and starts missing again....

Any thoughts as to what this could be? It's not throwing a CEL so I'm up to try anything to correct it.....

These are just a few ideas to go off of. You can try puting on a new cap and rotor. But while you are at that you should change your coil when you are in there. These are things you should do like every 60k miles. Things to check on are your timing and maybe your EGR valve. If you havent done your timing belt in 30k miles you should do this. Even think about your a good ald valve adjustment.

But I would try the cap and rotor first. :)

Hope you can fix it.

alright, here's the situation.....

I removed the plug wires and dabbed dielectric grease on both the dist. end and the plug end. After putting the plug wires back on the errant idle was still there.

I just went out and played around with the egr valve-I didn't actually take it off the car but I moved the diaphragm up and down and it felt like there was some resistance so I'm thinking this is the problem....after all, the car has 240k miles and it's the original egr valve.

My question is: I'm going to take off the egr valve tomorrow morn. and look it over-clean out any carbon deposits there may be. Is there anything I can use to lubricate the diaphragm shaft that won't damage the rubber diaphragm or should cleaning it out take care of the problem?

I don't want to buy a new egr valve because:
1. They're expensive....
2. The f22 is going and a built h23 turbo will be going in as soon as I drop the car back off at nuc79's house in a few weeks......

anything that can get me by till then would be great.....Thanks in advance....

Between u and me, I would do a compression test first before I do anything else. U did say its got a lot of mileage and no CEL. It doesn't cost anything if u have the tool and the amount of $ u already spent guessing what it is are all waste of time. U need to know the component and its functions before u start buying and changing. Example, if the car runs, why would u need to change the coil for? If it's got no spark, it wouldn't even start in the first place. There are ways to test and check the components before u assume it's bad. Especially when you're on a budget. BTW, do not use Bosch platinums plugs on your Honda and I wouldn't recommend the dielectric grease either. What would happen is, moisture would build up inside the wire tips and corrosion starts to form. Just some advice from experience, good luck!

Well, I got it.....

I took off the egr this morning and it was pretty carboned up so I cleaned it out and replaced it. I also sucked on the vacuum nipple because it should only take 8lbs of pressure to open and close the diaphragm, which it did without a problem.

Putting back on the egr valve and starting the car the prob. still persisted so I tried one last thing.....You guys had said hondas and bosch platinums don't go together so I tried replacing them.......and it worked......

I never would've believed it if I hadn't done it myself, but when I replaced the plugs with NGK v-powers I also put the wires on tighter than hell....between the two it purrs like a kitten....a kitten with 240k miles.... :D

by the way, thanks for fucking nothing deuceracing1.....your pessimism was not only no help, but incredibly discouraging.....I hope every time you have a prob with your ride, you can look at the motor and know exactly what the prob is and how to fix it because that's how you act......

Moderator: Please close this thread and thanks again for everyone's help..... :worthy:

Originally posted by nimblecivic@Jul 20 2003, 10:10 PM

I never would've believed it if I hadn't done it myself, but when I replaced the plugs with NGK v-powers I also put the wires on tighter than hell....between the two it purrs like a kitten....a kitten with 240k miles.... :D

by the way, thanks for fucking nothing deuceracing1.....your pessimism was not only no help, but incredibly discouraging.....I hope every time you have a prob with your ride, you can look at the motor and know exactly what the prob is and how to fix it because that's how you act......

Moderator: Please close this thread and thanks again for everyone's help..... :worthy:

Well look here nimblecivic, before we get off on the wrong foot u need to re-read my comments and SUGGESTIONS. What part of my comments was so pessimistic to u? I've never instructed u to not change your EGR valve, all I'm saying is know or ASK how to test components first before u start going on a wild goose chase and going broke of this shit. If u can't interpret one's intention by the way they write, then do not be so quick to be so fucken judgemental. I didn't join Hondaswap to waste my time helping closed-minded assholes like u. Oh yeah, by the way "You are WELCOME" for the not using Bosch platinums spark plugs tip and keep the change fuck face. Who do u think SUGGESTED that one IDIOT.

I thank the Admins for not closing this post as they probably have more sense than u do. :whatafucktard:

Originally posted by 1_deuceracing@Jul 20 2003, 01:15 AM
Between u and me, I would do a compression test first before I do anything else. U did say its got a lot of mileage and no CEL. It doesn't cost anything if u have the tool and the amount of $ u already spent guessing what it is are all waste of time.

What "$ he already spent"? So you're saying new plugs were a waste of money when they proved to be the problem? Recommend a compression check for a slight misfire at idle... :huh:

Total cost of repair:
NGK plugs $9
New plug wires (replaced under lifetime warranty) FREE

Also, I heard Advance gave a full refund for the P.O.S. Bosch Platinums :thumbsup:
Thanks for fixing my car bro. And sorry I didn't tell you in advance about Bosch plugs being shitty. Always use NGK or Denso.

In my brother's defense: I have NEVER seen low compression cause a misfire at idle with no accompanying problems. Low compression is caused by 3 things: (1)bad valve stem and/or seat seals. (2)worn rings(accompanied by smoke and loss of power), and (3)blown head gasket(sometimes accompanied by cracked/warped head). All of these have other indications. I.E., smoke, loss of power, loss of coolant. So given the symptoms he described, I recommended that he NOT his waste money to buy a compression gauge to do a meaningless diagnostic. High mileage or not. Of course, what do i know... I've only owned ten Hondas and hold a M.S. in engineering.

U need to know the component and its functions before u start buying and changing.  Example, if the car runs, why would u need to change the coil for?

(MASTER OF THE OBVIOUS)

[sarcasm]Thanks for the advice. Now we are all much smarter by reading that prophetic statement.[/sarcasm]

1_deuceracing Posted on Jul 21 2003, 03:00 AM
I thank the Admins for not closing this post as they probably have more sense than u do.

WTF is that?

Problem solved, no need to keep it open.....common sense to close it I would think, unless you enjoy sifting through needless threads....

And by the way, it was NOT you who gets credit for the plugs...if you'll notice I made that statement in my first post. I read that in another thread a long time ago, but since you're so incredibly perceptive your ego preceded you...

I came on here to get advice on what the prob was and I thank everyone involved, but NOT you.....you helped me none....give your smartass advice elsewhere. :fuckyou2:

:locked:

Alright, all of you quit your bitching. I don't see how 1deuceracing was "pessimistic" in his post, unless he edited it. He gave a bunch of good suggestions, and even ended the post with "good luck".

Anyway, this sheezy is :locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back