Idle problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So i got a 92 lude last night but the idle is off on it. It jumps from 1-2 thousand and keeps going up and down. Sometimes it doesnet do it though. I will start it up and it will be off but turn it on again and be perfectly fine. Its an f22a motor. Could it be the IACV? where would this be?
Thanks for all the help

there could be air pockets in your coolant system.

and idk exactly where the iacv is on that motor but on my b18 and the d16 i had before its was bolted right on to the back of the intake manifold with 2 bolts. It has a sensor connected to it, you can miss it.

and yes it could be your IACV. it helped my idle when i cleaned it. i just sprayed it down with carb cleaner and then ran some water through it.

how would you get the air pockets out?
ill take a look for it and try to clean it? any other things it could be?
thanks for the help btw

There is alot of really good information on this Site. Just search for bleeding the coolant lines.

Also search for idle problems and you can find alot of people with similar issues and maybe figure out the cause.

I dont know a whole lot a bout your particular problem, but everything i do know is just from searching through threads on HondaSwap.

well the coolant levels are fine. i took out the IACV cleaned it out. Cleaned out the FITV. I was going to check the EGR valve but i cant seem to get the bolts off. anyone have some ideas?
thanks

well i found out that it can cause your idle to surge and fluctuate. So midas well clean so i know for sure. My IAVC is getting power and i think its not that anymore.
And no CEL so its not that.

one more question does your car kinda idle down or anything when you press the break peddle down pretty firm? if so that's a sign of a vacuum leak

i just had this problem in my 94 gsr. i cleaned out the IAVC and had no luck, checked for vaccum leaks and nothing. a few people told me ir could be my map sensor though.

Check for a vacuum leak and clean your fast idle valve (FIV). I have had the opposite problem with a low idle, i cleaned both FIV and IACV and its helped both high and low idles. Clean out your EGR valve too. It could be one, or all or more, its a difficult thing to troubleshoot since soo many things could affect your idle. Fluctuating idle is USUALLY a vacuum leak.

I have a 92 prelude - i just got it about 2 months ago. I just changed the starter, which at the time was the only issue i was having, and now it starts like a charm. However.. after the engine warms up, nearly every single time in press in the clutch (or put it into neutral) it will drop from 1000rpm to 400rpm repeatedly. At first, it only dropped 2-3 times, and it didnt happen every time. Now, a couple days later, it has dropped 6-7 times in a row, at a speed of 1 drop per second. It is rather embaressing at every red light having your rpms spike over and over.. and my cars loud, so i put my foot on the gas and hold the rpms at like 1200. Im wondering if i loosened a hose or sumthing while i was changing my starter.

If someone can break it down to me ( and i mean break it down, like no acronyms ) that would be great. and please be specific when it comes to describing the location and looks of the part being mentioned.

Thanks

Back