Idle with an attitude...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driverunknown

I have a 93 dx stock.
The car will sometimes idle at a constant 700 rpms, which is good, but if I shut it off and later turn it on, car will idle really low even if the car is up to operating temp.. Other times it idles low and surges as if it was going to shut off. Is this what defines the idle problem in the help section? Or can there be something else wrong? I get no cel's. Could dirty injectors cause this? Maybe I need a fuel fiter? The car has died on me about 2 times in the past 6 months, when the rpms drop too low. I've been in gear and slowly accelerating when this happens.

My car does this once in a while. Usually when an electrical load comes and goes. In my case, bass causes my amp to pull juice and the idle drops. So for every good vibration, my idle drops, and raises between beats.

Stupid but true :lol:

have u ever changed ur fuel filter? it could be the prob. and if it didnt fix it, its stil a realy realy good thing to change, there very commonly overlooked, and neglected. i would start there, its only 20$ for a new one at NAPA. good luck
Tyler

Yeah I'll do that in the next couple of days. Thanks!!! Any other suggestions?

check your plugs and wires, distributor cap, etc?

Oh, also, my buddy had a similar problem. The EGR sends a signal to your ECU which can cause a CEL. However, if the EGR is working properly, and the channels get clogged, then the ECU does not know there is a problem. Try unplugging the vacuum host to the EGR, and plug it. See if your car still does the same thing.

All are cheap things to check out. ;)

Thank you guys for the responses. Well my car I can't find the egr valve, or my car isn't equipped with one. I adjusted the idle on the throttle body and it held steady at around 600 rpms. I will drive like this for a couple of days to see if it just needed to be adjusted. I hope it did. I will move to the fuel filter if I can get the chance soon. I don't know when the owner changed it last.
Again thank you very much for the replies guys. I will keep you posted on the outcome of this annoying problem.

Back