Idling/Revving issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboRex90

Golden EG
So i blew a charge line while going down the highway recently, which led to the destruction of the turbo (nothing exciting, just lots of shaft play). Well the car would idle at 300rpm, and when you gave it throttle it would stutter and hesitate to reach 1000rpm. Beyond 1000rpm the car would rev just fine, but between the extrememly low idle and 1000rpm is a "WTF ZONE". (Oh, and no i didnt drive the car home, i pulled over when it started doing all this and got it towed, so i wouldnt risk further damamging it).

I thought it was the turbo just restricting air flow, so i took it off and opened the charge line so the car ran without the turbo. It now idles at 500rpm, but still has that problem area.

Other then a possible IACV that could have decided to go up in smoke the exact same time i blew a charge line..im stumped. I hear no ticking, knocking or other sounds of "immediate problems", Anyone have an idea where to look?

At running temp....unplug the elec connection on the IACV and see if the idle drops. If it donesn't, IACV is bad.

Do you have a FITV?

Since things happened and stuff went wrong on a turbo'd set up.... I'm a little worried/curious

I would thinkk about doing a leak down test and a compression test... Even though it feels fine at higher rpm's

Lets start off with your check engine light is it on? if so then you might want to check the codes, don't start ripping stuff apart before diagnosing the problem first.

@CAFROG: I havent let the car warm up at idle since it was towed home. The oil feel line is still "open", so i have to keep it lodged in the oil fill hole on the valve cover, but i dont trust leaving it like that up to idle (it already popped out once and sprayed oil everywhere). As far as a FITV, it does have one.. so what do you suggest?

I dont have a compression test kit in my posession, but i can get one and test it when the weather clears up (its raining pretty good outside atm).

@PsychoREX: The car doesnt throw a CEL.

No big deal if you don't have FITV. It would be something to check but you don't have one so no worries.

get it ready to run without turbo and I would try the things I mentioned

Yeah, Im trying to get it to run and idle just fine "NA" before i put the new turbo on. Guess this weekend ill be draining the coolant and pulling the IACV off, cleaning it, and trying to get a leakdown/compression test done.

Oh, and it does have a FITV, im guessing i should try and find time and clean that too.

Any other ideas are welcome.

You can just unplug to see if it's bad (like I wrote about earlier) But cleaning the iacv may help.

Back