If a second job comes around...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I want a bike. Something slow and basic.

This summer I may push myself into getting a part time job. I have my loan and my car as extra payments. When they're paid off I have an extra $429.00 to spend on something else aside from the house. I know bike insurance isn't going to be that much, and I'll probably only use it to go over to my friends, or go get a bite to eat, etc.

What kind of classes could I take? I have to renew my license here in August this year, so would I have to take a BMV motorcycle test and ammend both my normal drivers and motorcyclist licenses into one? or how does that work?

~ A basic, slow, low CC sport bike, how large of an engine am I looking at for a starter who's never DRIVEN a sport bike? I don't care if a bike has been laid down, cause I'll probably end up doing it.

Prices on suggested bikes, as well.

~ How much are boots, gloves, a jacket and a helmet for the best money can buy?

~ Any other Information ya'll could give me I'd appreciate every bit of help you can give me.

you have 2 choices
you can start on something like a ninja 250 and then you'll want to upgrade
or you can get a 600cc to start with and be content for a while

250 ninja is decently peppy, very light weight, and lots of fun
probably get around 70-80 mpg, insurance will be dirt cheap

or you can look at the kawasaki 500's
a little bigger, will be cheaper than the 600's
not as likely to kill yourself on it

I would say get an 80-something honda. Around 600cc. Will be cheap, easy to learn on, and if you drop it, it isn't a big deal.

PS- My friend had a Buell sport bike. Wrecked it doing a Highchair. Now all he has is his Mustang Bullet.

Check my sig. Its absolutely perfect for you. Its lower so it handles better (when stopped and when going) Has 883cc's.. which sounds like alot, but its a harley, so it doesnt put out that much power. And its a harley, which means slow, basic, and uber cheap insurance. My full coverage is $17 a month.

And its for sale way below book. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to get out from under it. $5200.

P.S. 3400 miles on the clock, 2005 Sportster Custom.. Black, flame pegs.. Other than that, its 100% stock. I'll even give you my helmets if they fit ya. $170 touring helm and a $40 brain bucket for city driving.

Oh, and the license is cake. Go pick up the book from the dmv, read it, take the written test the next day. Then you'll have the riding test. 1 bike, one person to follow you. They honk once, you turn right, twice, you turn left. Stop at a stop sign, turn 3-4 times, slap down your $10 (i think) and they'll mail you a new DL that has car and motorcycle allowances on it. Done deal.

Last edited:
harleys aren't sport bikes....

that, and 2000si weighs like 120 lbs.

i think the 250 would be a good choice for you to ride this year.
next year, sell it to someone else looking for a starter bike and pick up a 6

harleys aren't sport bikes....

that, and 2000si weighs like 120 lbs.

i think the 250 would be a good choice for you to ride this year.
next year, sell it to someone else looking for a starter bike and pick up a 6

I'm 138, thanks. :)

But yeah, so many different bikes and all that.

the problem with most 250cc bikes is they look like ass. you generally wont find "cool" looking bike until >600cc
imo the only <600cc bike that doesnt look like total shit is the hyosung 250r. its a new korean bike company. they are super cheap and look pretty cool. they dont perform as well as the other bikes, but if you just want to scoot around in a cool looking bike id check them out.

"~ How much are boots, gloves, a jacket and a helmet for the best money can buy?"

well for leather racing suit and boots with a good helmet you can easily spend a few grand. youd spend more on leathers then you will on a 250cc bike. thats the best money can buy.
sounds like you arent trying to be an asshole, so really about 1k for a jacket/boots/helmet/gloves would be more then adequate for your style riding.

"~ How much are boots, gloves, a jacket and a helmet for the best money can buy?"

well for leather racing suit and boots with a good helmet you can easily spend a few grand. youd spend more on leathers then you will on a 250cc bike. thats the best money can buy.
sounds like you arent trying to be an asshole, so really about 1k for a jacket/boots/helmet/gloves would be more then adequate for your style riding.

Thanks. I was figuring something along those lines. I really don't want to cheap out on protective gear either.

hyosung

Hyosung Motors America - Ridden by the world

the 250r under road sports.

i dont care for the flashy paint job they show on the site, but in just a simple base color they look good. like i said before, prolly the best looking 250cc bike.

oh. I like that bike. I'll pretty much use it for short trips to and from my parents, or my close friends here and there so I can put even less mileage on my car.

$3,699? shit... with a second job I could have that in about 6 months.

370.44 pounds, plus my 145 lb ass (with riding gear on). 515.44 lbs. I wish it'd tell you the amount of power it makes.

just google it. dont expect to be impressed, seriously.
a ninja 250 would smoke it.
but then again a ninja 250 looks like dog shit and it sounds like you dont care about the performance of it.

My new 2007 Hyosung GT 250R! - Sportbikes.net

o good thread to read if your interested in the 250r.
its a new company and not alot of people know anything about them. hard to find actual owners thoughts on them online and not just a bunch of people skeptical about a new cheap korean bike.

anyway, the thread is a good read and some links to pics of it on the street. ill leave the rest to you ;)

Performance will come after experience. I didn't mod my Civic until I learned my civic. Now, I know when I'm going to hit vtec in it before I cross over 5500 rpm and without looking at the tach.

Just need a starter bike. 24 hp is what it looks like. lol

21.5 lbs per 1 hp isn't too bad, I guess.

Only problem with a bike is people are extremely inconsiderate of everyone on the road here. I've been cut off several times in a big white minivan in plain daylight.

Back