If I am a Private First Class...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

what is my code thing in the marines... like E1, 2, 3... I am doing a budget and since i plan on being in the marines for at least 10 years. I need to know the pay level for someone on active duty for 5 years... Thanks everyone.

Thanks for confirming my original thoughts but now the actual question is what would my rank be after 5 years of enlisted service?

no way to estimate that

some people rank up very quickly
some people rank up slowly
some people fuck up and get busted back down a few notches
some MOS's rank faster than others
some CO's promote faster than others
etc....

thats VERY optimistic

more realisticly you are probly gunna be looking at E-5 or E-6

excellent thanks bud... this is good An E-6 makes with 2 or less years of service... 1770.60 Im assuming this is a month. now to resolve my confusion on the websites pay scale would you mind looking at it and tell me what the all of the information means... you must be able to open PDF files to read it. Heres the site... dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay

My recruiter has been in the army for 20 years. He's an E-7. I'm going into the Army as E-3. I guess it all depends on the person.

There is NO WAY on earth you will get to E-9 in 5 years (Sergent Major, man, come on), it isn't possible.
You will more than likely be an E-5 or E-5 promotable, possibly an E-6.

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Dec 1 2003, 06:55 PM
Oh, so it's based on qualifications? I see... Thanks everyone... I have the info I need.

Not only qualifications, but doing a good job as well. There may be 50 people up for a certain job as an E-7, etc...and they all may have the same qualifications. So keeping your nose clean may not matter right away, but down the road may make a bigger difference. My brother in law is a lifer in the Navy (been in 13 years), he was sailor of the year, passed the chief's test (for E-7) but had a couple bad marks from early on in his career...he was passed over for chief. Long story short...Do every job that is given to you better than everyone else, while keeping a "can do" and positive attitude...you'll be fine.

If you really worry about money, you should go to OCS or OTS, I don't know what the marines use. These are the officer canidate school and officer training schools, where you spend I believe 3 months to become a sencond lieutenant, then move up through the officer's ladder. You'll be making more money faster, and you'll have better jobs.

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Dec 1 2003, 01:00 PM
excellent thanks bud... this is good An E-6 makes with 2 or less years of service... 1770.60 Im assuming this is a month. now to resolve my confusion on the websites pay scale would you mind looking at it and tell me what the all of the information means... you must be able to open PDF files to read it. Heres the site... dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay

you have to remember that as an E6 you'll be living off base, unless your married and opt for base housing. Once your off you'll recieve BAS and BAH at a rate of $240 and $560 (a guess) respectivly. That's single rate, married or kids and it will be higher. These are not taxed as there allowences not forms of pay and are added to your base pay along with COLA if your overseas. All bets are off though for the first few years if your single, you'll be in the dorms.

Originally posted by Fastciv+Dec 1 2003, 02:18 PM-->
199IntegraBuildUpH22A3
@Dec 1 2003, 06:55 PM
Oh, so it's based on qualifications? I see... Thanks everyone... I have the info I need.

Not only qualifications, but doing a good job as well. There may be 50 people up for a certain job as an E-7, etc...and they all may have the same qualifications. So keeping your nose clean may not matter right away, but down the road may make a bigger difference. My brother in law is a lifer in the Navy (been in 13 years), he was sailor of the year, passed the chief's test (for E-7) but had a couple bad marks from early on in his career...he was passed over for chief. Long story short...Do every job that is given to you better than everyone else, while keeping a "can do" and positive attitude...you'll be fine.

Good Info mang, thanks. Few more questions, WTF is Drill Pay? Do you only get Aviation Career Incentive pay if you are a fly boy? Or since I will be working with plans do I reveice this as well? SInce I may not and most likely wont be a E7 or E6 most likely an E5 will I live on base, will this home be paid for? Would I make this less hard on myself if I go to my recruiter? Aside from needing documentation

Not sure about Aviation Career Pay, you should be able to ask your recruiter those questions. I believe Drill Pay is for the Reserves, they meet one weekend a month and it it usually called a "Drill" your recruiter should be able to answer those questions as well. Has he been in touch with you as much as he was before you signed up?

Originally posted by Fastciv@Dec 5 2003, 06:48 PM
Has he been in touch with you as much as he was before you signed up?

Yea right, haha, I was lucky to get two words out of mine afterwards. But yes, drill pay is for the reserves.

Back