if its not the head gasket?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well all i know is it was huge clouds of white smoke,

im getting my ass kicke d by that tensioner, could the braket that holds the spring on be upsidedown? does anyone have a picture for refrence? please help retard on the loose. lol

i would check you valve stem seals. its depends because i had the problem about 4 year ago when i had my teg. but i warped my head and burnt my rings ... it coul be you piston ring are toast...get a compression test done on it get back to me...

paulsen. If I understand you correctly??? If your head gasket is showing a break between 2-3 cylinders then you would get a rough running car and the compression in 2 and 3 would show a low compression amount. Are you sure the head gasket did not have any signs of leaking into the water ports or exhaust ports? If the oil is without H2O in it then you might have a leak into the exhaust which would back into your radiator. I have seen this alot, it will blow your radiator or a radiator hose from the increase in pressure.
as far as the tensioner, I don't know if you can put that in upsidedown or not? You should be able to loosen the bolt/nut and it should tighten with the spring loaded to tighten it all by itself.

i have to get it back together before i can get a compression test but ill post my findings when i can get it done.

there is no break on 2 and 3 thats were all the white build up is like a calcium deposit on the valve stems, i figured that this build up is from the wwater and coolant burning off, does that sound possible?

pertaining to the tensioner the pulley has an ajustable slide with a raised surface sloping to one side which way should this slope too? up or down if anyone knows? and the spring is not stretched at all and falls off of the bracket. is that normal?

tegs for life: the car burns no oil that i know of, icheck it regularly and its doesnt seem to be burning off, but why do you ask?

paulsen can you state your problem again. im lost. and get some pictures. that'd help alot. and if you have bad seals it will burn no matter what rpm. obviously the higher the more oil youll burn. my rings might be shot cuz i ran realy rich for a few months. now its good. but still could have fucked up my cyl walls.hope i didnt.

hopefully u didnt scar them, that wold suck,problem: was that the top dowl that holds the tensioner in place slipped out in the midst of the fun, ill check those seals?

Last edited:
paulsen sounds like your having a ass load of fun my car did the same thing and i never could figure out y but i drove mine and i looked behind me and it looked like a bug truck with the sprayer was behind me lol just do as they say check your gasket/seals just go everything and make shur its alright.

go to autozone or somethign and rent a comp tester. hooked it up to your spark plug hole and crank 6 times and do this to all , they should all be close to the same number i think usually around 180 when you do this let me knw, and does your car run??

update. got the car running yesterday. runs like a champ no smoke or heat, waiting to do a compression test, ill get back to you on that, thanks for holdin my hand through it. it was a good learning experience

Back