If the Y8 Manifold is the Type R D series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

auggiereg

What would be the Type R head, cam, header, exhaust, TB, fuel rail, injectors, etc. for the D series motor if the Y8 IM is considered the Type R manifold for D series motors?

Comparing the type-r to the "d" series
is akin to the two words "Hyundai" and "performance"
in the same sentence....

just doesnt happen.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Aug 20 2003, 03:53 AM
Comparing the type-r to the "d" series
is akin to the two words "Hyundai" and "performance"
in the same sentence....

just doesnt happen.

You missed his point, sparky. The Y8 intake manifold is the closest D series intake manifold to the Type R design, meaning, it's the best D series intake manifold made. He's asking about what other parts are the best D series parts made.

Pistons- DOHC ZC pistons or '88- '89 Integra D16A1 pistons. Same thing
Rods- You can use B16 rods with 1st gen JDM Supra turbo pistons if you're boosting, otherwise '88- '89 Integra D16A1 rods are the way to go. This doesn't apply to an engine with a D15 crank.
Cams- Y8 cam for SOHC VTEC or D16A6 cam for non- VTEC SOHC.
Crank- either crank will handle whatever power you throw at it, but if I were building an engine to rev past 10K, I'd use a D15 crank because it has a shorter stroke, and try to make up some of the displacement loss with boring the cylinders out.
Tranny- '96+ trannies are best because they have stronger synchros. If you have a '91 or older Civic, you could pull the synchros out of the EK box and throw 'em in your EF box. And it goes without saying that the Si/ EX five speed boxes are best. Stay away from '88 boxes because they're the only year to use 21 splines on the input shaft. If you have an '88 box, you're stuck with a 200mm clutch disc (see next in list). '89+ boxes have 20 splines.
Flywheel- a '90+ flywheel is your best bet because it uses a 212mm clutch disc as opposed to 200 for '89 and older.
Head- For VTEC, I've heard conflicting reports about weather the Y8 flows better or the Z6 flows better. Considering that the Y8 only has three more HP than the Z6, it'll come down to which you can find cheaper because you'll most likely be porting it out. For non- VTEC, any 16 valve head will work; they're all the same. A DOHC head will not bolt to a SOHC block, and vice versa.
Exhaust manifold- '92+ EX/ Si exhaust manifold is the way to go for OEM exhaust evacuation.

:withstupid: Yeah, what he said... Those pistons actually give you a really high compression ration (12.6:1 I think) so plan on getting some sort of tuning device ie. Hondata, etc....

Head- For VTEC, I've heard conflicting reports about weather the Y8 flows better or the Z6 flows better. Considering that the Y8 only has three more HP than the Z6, it'll come down to which you can find cheaper because you'll most likely be porting it out. For non- VTEC, any 16 valve head will work; they're all the same. A DOHC head will not bolt to a SOHC block, and vice versa.

for the head y8 head will help bump compression a little bit with stock pistons from what i have heard but the z6 will flow a little better is what i was told

Back