If you drive an AWD car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
please take all the time you need to realize that just because you have 2 extra drive wheels doesnt mean you need to drive faster.

today i was slammed into a curb by a SUBARU WRX. looked brand new. that ugly silver color. no damage to the body of either car since he just tapped me, probably going a little too fast. i was going STRAIGHT, not turning/stopping/anything. i was pushed into a nice tall water drain/curb.

the front rota is curbed to shit and bent, the back one has a few scratches on it. trust me i laid into this fucker soooo bad. i told him maybe he should be driving a geo since 227hp in 8 inches of snow is too much for him. im suprised the tire is still holding air. ill toss the car up on a lift and put the SSC's back on the front and check for other damage. nothing looked bent when i looked, the car still tracks straight and the car didnt shake at all until 40+ on the highway.

my boss called me too, said he got hit by a truck. he drives a newer AWD jaguar.

guhhh i hate mondays.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohnoooooooooooooooooooo

wtf?

you want a "receipt" for the wheels?

he probably still had summer tires on. i've ranted about this before....

people were all over the place this morning in out 6+ inches of snow/sleet mix. pretty slippery. i was passing people like crazy cuz they were going 3 mph... i tested the traction of my big ass hill. I came to a complete stop with hardly impedding ABS to to turn on. nice firm stop. i knew i was fine from there.

dunlop m3's FTW!

Quoted post[/post]]
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohnoooooooooooooooooooo

wtf?

you want a "receipt" for the wheels?
sure :) you can fax it over to 508 865 0096 just make sure the cover sheet has my name on it :)

Quoted post[/post]]
he probably still had summer tires on. i've ranted about this before....

people were all over the place this morning in out 6+ inches of snow/sleet mix. pretty slippery. i was passing people like crazy cuz they were going 3 mph... i tested the traction of my big ass hill. I came to a complete stop with hardly impedding ABS to to turn on. nice firm stop. i knew i was fine from there.

dunlop m3's FTW!

word. the fz4's are just as capable as the skinnier yoko as430's. i dont really have any issues. its just BS when idiots.... guh.

also - WRX's come stock with yoko as430's in their bug-eye years.

Heh, 6 inches of snow in MA, with 3 inches of water down here at URI.

Sorry man, that seriously sucks. Those Rotas were t3h sekts.

BTW, the Minime is awsome on the highway - I can pass people in 5th now! :mrgreen:

trust me, i get nervous when people are coming down the hill behind me in their Corolla's and shit....
i know i can stop.
can they? i doubt it.

Yeah no shit. My STi handles fine in the snow, only becuase I have winter tires now. LOL dont ever try to drive with the stock pontenza's, it can be deadly. They are like drag slicks in the snow

I think its not just the tires part - it's the stupid part as well. A good deal of people have no idea how to drive in the snow. I don't have ABS, or gnarly snow tires, but I still can get around in the snow - provided its not 6" deep and wet. Tires do help though.

I'm not picking on you B, I'm more or less talking about the soccer moms in Tahoes I have to dodge every snow storm.

i dont even know what asshole has stock on his new wrx. its just bullshit. well a police report will be filed this afternoon (i already called) and my insurance company is set for kill (they love me :))

just "attn: Chris" or ...?

I think you guys have mostly missed the point of this thread.

you are NOT indestructible because you have AWD. You can't say "Yeah, everyone else is wrong and I'm right" because you have snow tires. I don't give a fuck if you have tracks, don't be ignorant thinking that you're somehow immune from sliding.

"I passed people today because they were too slow" "I can pass people in 5th gear with snow tires on" You're clowns, plain and simple - and more to the point you're the exact kinda clown that ran Chris off the road.

As a New Englander I'm more into playing in the snow than most of the people in the US - I love it, every moment of it. sliding off the road and trying to make hills - I have a lot of experience and a VERY good car for doing it in. Do I pass people because they are going too slow ? No. Do I fuck around on the streets at high speed? No. I'm the slowest motherfucker on the highway lately, which is annoying when I'm being passed and run off the lane because some asshole doesn't know the limits of his SUV, or thinks that he's got good traction and it gives him licence to fuck off. But thenup the highway I can bet money that he'll be on his roof in the median.

Sorry to hear about that Chris - that's the exact thing that took out my mom's Eclipse.

Quoted post[/post]]
just "attn: Chris" or ...?

Chris Fuhrmann

Quoted post[/post]]
I think you guys have mostly missed the point of this thread.

you are NOT indestructible because you have AWD. You can't say "Yeah, everyone else is wrong and I'm right" because you have snow tires. I don't give a fuck if you have tracks, don't be ignorant thinking that you're somehow immune from sliding.

"I passed people today because they were too slow" "I can pass people in 5th gear with snow tires on" You're clowns, plain and simple - and more to the point you're the exact kinda clown that ran Chris off the road.

As a New Englander I'm more into playing in the snow than most of the people in the US - I love it, every moment of it. sliding off the road and trying to make hills - I have a lot of experience and a VERY good car for doing it in. Do I pass people because they are going too slow ? No. Do I fuck around on the streets at high speed? No. I'm the slowest motherfucker on the highway lately, which is annoying when I'm being passed and run off the lane because some asshole doesn't know the limits of his SUV, or thinks that he's got good traction and it gives him licence to fuck off. But thenup the highway I can bet money that he'll be on his roof in the median.

Sorry to hear about that Chris - that's the exact thing that took out my mom's Eclipse.

word. exactly. AWD does not make you indestructable. you got it.

sent the fax

figures, 1st day the B18 is in my car and properly running it friggin snows...

Never said I was indestructable now since I have snow tires. I drive very cautiously. Its easy to get the car to slide.

Some folks also need to learn what AWD means. The power is going to the main drive wheels until something (either the vacuum system in older cars or the ABS system in newer cars) notices it's slipping, then will slowly add power to the other tires until all are within some programmed parameter. That's why it's able to handle higher speeds, and that's why it's more of a dry-road system intended to keep all wheels moving to prevent slip through corners and during braking (inertial shift).

My Loyale, and other older 4WD systems doesn't do that. It simply engages another axle and in most cases (like mine) an open-ended diff to choose the wheel that slips to get the power to. The result is that in snow, dirt and mud the car is more capable. The downside: It's top speed (reliably) is 45 mph.

Several vehicles come in both flavors of the driveline. the older Toyota Landcruiser and Jeep Cherokees come to mind. Jeep offered "Command Trac" and "Selec Trac" in their Cherokee models. The Command Trac AWD systems weren't as capable in snow as the SelecTrac models. They were, however, better for hanging out in "AWD" for the remainder of the day so that you didn't get caught by any surprises on a rainy or slushy road. Even Current jeeps with the All-time AWD systems aren't as offroad capable as other drives (As seen by their failure of the famous "Rubicon factory test")

You choose your favored system and go with it. It's for this reason that I don't feel I'll ever need or warrant an AWD system as much as I will Part Time, and definately not for actually getting places in real snow fall. Today it's snowing slightly, and my GF is staying home because her WRX isn't as capable as we originally believed.

yeah, i actually prefer the FWD car in snow. i was able to go anywhere my buddy dave did in his wrx with as430's on it.

got a link to that rubicon test :)

I used to be big in my RWDs. I thought the power layout was just more efficient until someone with a Pulsar may have set me straight. he said "A dog sled team. Do they hook the dogs up in front or in the back? Which takes simply less force, pulling a weight up a hill, or pushing it?"

Well, the dog sled thing was a Subaru ad, turns out - but the weight up an incline thing made more sense. Either way, with FWD the drive wheels just drag the ass end around which makes sense for tracking through the snow. But the sliding when stopping is STILL there.

The key is, in any drive configuration, to not just slam the brakes and wait for some miracle. FWD allows you to give it some gas and try to correct the attitude, and RWD ( a bit trickier ) is to adjust the Vector angles to ward the car in a better path. AWD / 4WD allows you to combine both techniques, and if you give it some power through the slide, you'll be able to retain "control" of the car. Braking, don't give a shit if it's ABS or not, has to be done with the usual - double your following distance, pay attention and be vigilant to stop in time. Driving through the snow like it doesn't affect you is the opposite of these intelligent techniques.

I have driven pizzas for the past 8 winters, and not ONE accident (I slipped into a snow bank once 2 years ago).

awd = better forward acceleration. thats it.

tires still effect your ultimate cornering ability and stopping ability

Back