If you had just followed the rules......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok now I have no idea WTF you are trying to say. I don't see the correlation of your analogies to what's actually happening here.

I'm an aircraft mech, you own a aircraft, and I am the only possible mech that is in the area... you have a plane that is rated to fly 19 people to a destination, and you now have to follow FAR 143 or 145, so only maintenance from a FAR1 43 or 145 rated shop can work on your aircraft, and whelp...your shit out of luck, because...the fair trade and policies have fucked up the honest system so much, that now there is no FAR's to follow... so some Smoe on the street can now service your aircraft to any amount of payable notations of work performed... All code and conduct goes out the window...and for better service...you better have money up front.

That's the day I'll never fly on another plane again...

It's only an expected service if you paid for it. He was under the agreement of payment prior to expected service. You will not, EVER, get something for nothing in this lifetime.

Jiffy Lube is an expected service that you do pay for....

So are most sit down restaurants, but you can't pay for that service until the work is completed due to the fact that no two fixes will be the same and price varies from what you order to eat.

I am not gonna lie i didn't see the comments coming in the way they have. Here is the logic behind my thinking, you can't call your insurance company after a storm comes rolling through and say i want to add flood insurance to my policy when you have 3 feet of standing water in your basement can you. Nope same thing applies here, now if there was someone stuck in the house by all means the fire dept should have went in saved said person and done nothing more, it is the humane thing to do and hell i would do it even though i am not a firefighter. The fact that they went out for the neighbor to protect his property was well within there right because he made his payment on time. Call me an asshole but i would have watched it burn too if he didn't pay.

and a fire does what?

burn and consume B's computers.

if a scumbag holds protecting my property a fee for fighting a fire that will still be a 50/50 fight...but shows up late due to traffic...that narrows my chances down 25/75...but I still pay the $75 fee...which is BS...and if there was a storm..and multiple places were on fire...0/100%..... but I paid...and my insurance was paid as well.... and I lost everything...would I get my $75 back... no.

I pay city, state, and federal taxes...their income come from me to begin with...why the hell should I pay a favoritism tax for? do they tip waiters any better for them not to spit in their food?

lets throw another theoretical curveball.

what if each house has a $75 "premium" for insurance coverage. if the department directly insures your house with that $75, then the department covers all of their fees and expenses, including insurance for the fire trucks and insurance for the firefighters.

now if you don't have insurance, and a firefighter dies or a truck is destroyed, you have to foot the bill.

would you have second thoughts if you hop in a car and your friend says, "just so you know, i didn't pay my insurance this year"? your ass wouldnt' be covered if he runs a red light.....well, if that $75 covers your house and all thats in it, the firefighters saving your cat and ceramic tea cups might feel more comfortable running in there.

real life...

9/ll FF's had no insurance......

let alone a $50K policy of "fight my fire now please since I paid the towns fire policy fee, the towns fire code fee, the states emergency responders fee, and the 3 "i was standing there with a video camera fee" but the "aircraft guided by insane kamikaze type eastern Muslim radicals hit it...halp me please fee" was partially covered... but they didn't pay the $100K "god's of change forbearance fee...so the towers fell...

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I pay city, state, and federal taxes...their income come from me to begin with...why the hell should I pay a favoritism tax for? do they tip waiters any better for them not to spit in their food?

he doesnt pay city taxes. this is a service from a neighboring city.

i have to admit that im having trouble understanding your posts here as well.
i feel that they were well within their right to not do anything. he didnt pay. the insurance comparisons have already been made, thats all this is. he didnt pay, he didnt get the service.

now, lets say hypothetically, that they told him when he got there that they would have to charge $2,000 to put out the fire and do the work, what would have happened after that?
he wouldnt have paid. he's be doing the same thing he is now, and going to the news saying "the fire department shook me down, they blackmailed me and made me pay them extra to put out my fire. they took advantage of the fact that i was in between a rock and a hard place and made money from my situation."

that would have still resulted with us making a thread related to this matter.
he got what he deserved. he knew about having to pay that, and he chose not to. i bet he was one of the people who though "eh, i'll never need it, im responsible enough to not catch my house on fire"
i just hope that when he sues, and they go to court, the judge is one with common sense and tells him "you didnt play by the rules, you felt you were exempt from having to pay the fees to have the services, and now you got what you paid for."

edit: This:
"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong."

he felt that they would come out and do the work regardless of whether or not he paid. so, he felt that he didnt have to pay them.

Last edited:
You can't buy health/life insurance after you get cancer....
you can't buy auto insurance after you wreck your car....
You can't buy fire insurance after your shits on fire.

I see no difference. If he wanted the service, he should have followed the rules and paid the $75 ahead of time.

It sucks, but thats the reality of the situation. Not a single person would be throwing up arms over someone who tried to buy life insurance on a dead person. It's the same cause/effect.

Last edited:
ooohhh pleassse.....

so sir, would you like brakes that work on your car, or not...

excuse me, we have a special on aircraft landing gears that extend, but it's going to cost ya....

I can change your tires on your truck, how much do you have?....

new endless opportunities....

f451-01.jpg

remember kids, your Oxygen allowance tax is due....

I can install a landing gear spring..there are plenty of them, but pay me $50 for better springs...1/10th of them wont do the job....

how cheap are you?

if your wife was being raped and a cop was watching and wanted money to help her... and there was no ATM around... and you was at work making money...

expected services are services....

it's BS the fire department would stoop that low.... to want a fucking fee.

well..what goes around.....goes around.... when that fire fighter's wife's cars needs a little brake tuning...I'm sure that mechanic that just lost his house is not going to install new pads and new rotors...but he's going to grind the pads down further, and mill down the rotors to the minimum.....

I'm an aircraft mech, you own a aircraft, and I am the only possible mech that is in the area... you have a plane that is rated to fly 19 people to a destination, and you now have to follow FAR 143 or 145, so only maintenance from a FAR1 43 or 145 rated shop can work on your aircraft, and whelp...your shit out of luck, because...the fair trade and policies have fucked up the honest system so much, that now there is no FAR's to follow... so some Smoe on the street can now service your aircraft to any amount of payable notations of work performed... All code and conduct goes out the window...and for better service...you better have money up front.

That's the day I'll never fly on another plane again...

Jiffy Lube is an expected service that you do pay for....

and a fire does what?

burn and consume B's computers.

if a scumbag holds protecting my property a fee for fighting a fire that will still be a 50/50 fight...but shows up late due to traffic...that narrows my chances down 25/75...but I still pay the $75 fee...which is BS...and if there was a storm..and multiple places were on fire...0/100%..... but I paid...and my insurance was paid as well.... and I lost everything...would I get my $75 back... no.

real life...

9/ll FF's had no insurance......

let alone a $50K policy of "fight my fire now please since I paid the towns fire policy fee, the towns fire code fee, the states emergency responders fee, and the 3 "i was standing there with a video camera fee" but the "aircraft guided by insane kamikaze type eastern Muslim radicals hit it...halp me please fee" was partially covered... but they didn't pay the $100K "god's of change forbearance fee...so the towers fell...

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
wtf_lightning2.jpg

seriously :wtf2:
11 posts and not one of them made any sense... only one of them almost made some sense but was completely wrong and out of context in regards to the actual news story... did you even read the story in the link???

was this all some kind of bizarre drunk post ??????? :beer:

the guy lived in a town with no fire coverage... none... not paid professional... not volunteer... zip... zero... nada... nothing...
ie: your shit catches on fire... you grab some buckets and or hoses and start throwing water on the flames

at least that's how it was until 1990
20 years ago (TWENTY YEARS AGO!! this shit wasn't new) the fire department in a neighboring city said that they would cover homes in that town for an annual fee of $75 per house ($0.20 per day... you cant even feed starving kids in Africa for that little)
fighting a fire is not cheap... it costs a hell of a lot more than $75
for whatever reason the town let people sign up for coverage on their own, instead of making a deal with the neighboring town for coverage and levying a $75 per household "annual fire dept. tax" (residents probably threw a shit fit and didn't want the yearly "tax")

that fire department COULD NOT put that fire out... if they did they would have set the precedent that no one has to pay the fire department for their services, because they will just take care of it any way... then no one pays... and the fire department ends up so far in debt that they cant function any more and now instead of everyone getting coverage... no one does

this guy gambled on the idea that he either would not need the fire department's services... or that they would come take care of him anyway in the event that he did... so he decided not to pay... he claims that "he forgot to pay this year"... i call bullshit
well.... looks like he lost on that gamble... hope he had good home owners insurance

as others have said... this is like trying to get car insurance after you get into an accident... or trying to get theft coverage after your shit is stolen... homeowners insurance after there is a tree laying in your living room... flood insurance after you have 3 feet of water in your home... it just doesn't work that way... you pay for these insurances before hand and over time on the idea that the fees you pay will be less than the cost of taking care of it out of pocket on your own... its a gamble

to everyone that i basically just reposted on... sorry... just take it as a :werd: :withstupid: :concur: :)

I imagine the chief and some members on the city council get ape rapped over this. I do agree with the course of action or inaction in this case. Everyone covered my thoughts already

if your wife was being raped and a cop was watching and wanted money to help her... and there was no ATM around... and you was at work making money...

expected services are services....

it's BS the fire department would stoop that low.... to want a fucking fee.

well..what goes around.....goes around.... when that fire fighter's wife's cars needs a little brake tuning...I'm sure that mechanic that just lost his house is not going to install new pads and new rotors...but he's going to grind the pads down further, and mill down the rotors to the minimum.....

This is different. The home owner had time to pay the $75 and did not decide to do so. He figured his house would never catch on fire, and therefore was willing to risk the value of his home for $75.

Darwin award nominee.

The insurance comparison is bullshit. Insurance is when something bad happens, you get compensated. The fire department provides a service, in this case a subscription service. He did not subscribe to the service, he had no right to take advantage of it. He's an idiot.

However, the costs involved are largely maintaining the equipment and staffing the firefighters, the amount of money to unroll the goddamn hoses and spray this dipshits house down is pretty minimal since they were already there. It's pretty fucking cold blooded to watch everything a man owns go up in smoke when you got a truck full of water parked in his driveway, for the sole reason he didn't chip in his 75 bucks. If my neighbor's house caught fire, I'd be running my garden hoses over there to help a brother out regardless of the fact that he's an asshole. And if I was on that fire truck, I'd have had the humanity to help a fellow human in need, regardless of his intelligence or whether he paid his dues.

E made a good point that having fire service in this guys town was a new thing . . .

I.E. people's houses used to always burn to the ground when they caught fire because there was nobody to call.

The fire department should have made the guy sign a contract for $10k on the spot for them to save the house, since he didnt pay for the service up front. Stupid firefighters, i bet they coulda worked out a deal for way more than $75. The guys feet were to the fire (literally)!

It's pretty fucking cold blooded to watch everything a man owns go up in smoke when you got a truck full of water parked in his driveway, for the sole reason he didn't chip in his 75 bucks.

lets throw another theoretical curveball.

what if each house has a $75 "premium" for insurance coverage. if the department directly insures your house with that $75, then the department covers all of their fees and expenses, including insurance for the fire trucks and insurance for the firefighters.

now if you don't have insurance, and a firefighter dies or a truck is destroyed, you have to foot the bill.

would you have second thoughts if you hop in a car and your friend says, "just so you know, i didn't pay my insurance this year"? your ass wouldnt' be covered if he runs a red light.....well, if that $75 covers your house and all thats in it, the firefighters saving your cat and ceramic tea cups might feel more comfortable running in there.

any thoughts?

l

Mandatory insurance is a scam, there's no way around it. It's just a bad idea. Fire protection is not insurance, it's a service you pay for, through taxes or other means.

If everyone, even those who aren't paying, get fire service and only pay if something breaks or someone gets hurt, no one is going to pay.
I wouldn't drive an uninsured vehicle that wasn't mine.

It's not the firefighter's concern whether a house is insured for fire damage. Only that the home is under their service area or that the home is subscribed to their coverage. The homeowner's insurance doesn't cover injuries/death of firefighter's, the fire departments insurance does.

The homeowner's insurance doesn't cover injuries/death of firefighter's, the fire departments insurance does.

:YES:

And the insurance company charges the fire dept based on their current coverage area. The Ins comp wont cover the fire dept's opperations outside of the coverage area they've agreed to insure.

Back