If you like wrenching on car's....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

holy shit, this is exactly the thing i have been looking for.. and it's about 2 hours from my house. thanks mang!!

a GOOD career too. It can take you anywhere.

-> Steve

Sweet I have family and a place to stay in Tucson too, however I am not going to start school all over again to go into a mechanical program.

Here a list of other schools....some might be really in your area.

And yes...you can go far in this career feild....about as far as you want.

I had Delta FedEx me an application for employment, once they found my resume floating around, and hell....I didn't even think about Sikorsky Aircraft when I was looking for jobs....but they found me and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse....

I went to ERAU...which is the Yale equivelent of the Aircraft/Aviation schools out there...and liveing in Daytona Beach..for a few years was fun....

I'd get to class at 6:00 in the morning...finish at 2:00...go to the bars on the beach...watch the highschool and college cheerleader championships pratice, have some beers, go home...and study...

If you want to live in Alaska...they have the best pay for someone just fresh out of school..they start at $25-35 an hour....and some places provide living area's....hehe

ERAU's Embry-Riddle's Professional Aviation Maintenance Programs

And yes..the guy with the bleached hair and the blue t-shirt fondaling an engine....is me...hehe

You looked like Anthony Michael Hall for a sec

-> Steve

hmm. how hard to you think the transition from auto body repair to aviation repair would be? I have all my certifications through I-CAR for MIG welding etc. Im moving to PA in a couple months and im thinking about a career change.

Not too hard...

The only welding on aircraft...is well...in a repair shop, and that you will need a little more training and a big certificate from the FAA...for aircraft welders....and they dooooooooo make the big bucks. Where I work they still make half of the main rotor blade spars with roled titainium, and the blades for the 53E are over 40 ft...and it is welded in one shot....if you can be that good...with no stoping, and consistant welds...you would have no problems at all.

Other aspects that you do now is to make sure the body is straight, well...same when inspecting aircraft, and you have to look at all the rivits for cracks delamination...etc...

Structural repair is very important...and also a decent paycheck... ;)

By the Way,

This topic is Honda Swap's 40,000th topic.

Look in your address bar.

-> Steve

Aircraft welders, from what I hear, have to be some of the best out there. Even the guys that work on the skins would have to be very good. In the Northwest, we have WABO certification. You have to be certified to weld a certain kind of metal in one position, or any position, using a specific process. Steel plate certification would be a 1 inch plate, in vertical or overhead position, using a stick welder. Each certification is different, and need to be maintained to get a high paying job around here. One more quarter at the college, and I could have a Welding Certificate degree. I already have two degrees, a job, and that certificate is worthless as a qualification.

And yeah, they make fucking bank. If you put in the time, you'd write your own ticket.

Back