ignition coil burning out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

finally got my swap done, but the ignition coil on the distributor keeps burning out, maybe the wiriing got done wrong? the sensor have been checked. im running a same year ecu as the motor, any help would greatly be appreciated.

ok, you have a 93 b18a in your car? well thats a obd1, try using an obd0 distributor with your odo ecu, then see what happens, i know that the distributor is continually the weak link witha b18a-b motors, they burn up after you've beat up on them for awhile, first the cap, then the coil smokes out, try using external coil/ with msd cap, it worked awesome for my integra, no more burn ups, and if you choose not to do that, you will most likely end up replacing distributor coil like 2-3 times a year like me, and where i live you cant buy that part UNLESS you buy the whole distibutor and theyre getting more rare by the day, because of kids like us.

did this help any?
matt :roll:

ok you have an obd1 motor /ecu in your obd0 car, check in to buying an obd0 distributor see if that helps - if you havent converted your 91 to obd1, i know with that 91 you should def. have everything the same obdo to be 100% sure your not going to run into codes, injector prob's, and fuel delivery issues. if you already have your car converted to obd1 then just do the external coil , etc. i was talking about. easy fix.

HOW MUCH WILL IT RUN ME IF I DO GET AN MSD EXTERNAL COIL I GOT A TIGHT BUDGET? ALSO THE DISTRIBUTOR HAS BEEN REPLACED AS MANY AS 3 TIMES IN ONE DAY IT BURNS THEM QUICK. :huh: :huh:

How the heck do you burn through as many as 3 distributors a day? Those coils are not cheap, and you're on a tight budget? Shoot I'd like to have your tight budget. The worst thing I ever did to the distributor was fry the rotor and cap, and that was only once. Like everyone else said, just make sure your parts match, and you shouldn't fry anything, especially not 3 distibutors a day. that's a hell of a lot of wasted money.

Just pull up the passengers side floor pan, find the ecu, and check the number on the side, and get a dist. that matches it. pre92- obd0, 92-95 obd1, 96-present obd2. When you find the number of the ecu, eg pr3, pr4, p30, etc, look it up in this site's ecu reference section.

well i ended up taking my car to a shop and ir seems like they just took my money and couldnt figure the proble, they said it was my injectos at first. they changed those and still bogging out, after this they ended up just leaving my car and i had to go look for it because the guy disappeared. now its in another shop onced they looked at it they told me i had the dx harness, and i had the wrong distributor so know tehy are going to replace the dist, and the wiring.

Any CEL's? I burnt up a coil first, then burnt the igniter and finally burned up the distributor.
panchovilla760: if you want to know how much it will cost to run an external Coil, etc... "google it up." Hondaswap isn't your personal serach engine. We wont find these things for you, there are shops in the reference section of this site and by the way www.hondaswap.com is a tech forum.

emericazzz: he most likely isn't using the OBD1 ECU or Distributor it wouldnt plug into the OBD-0 harness. I along with many others on here know this, that it simple it won't work. I have first hand experience with putting an OBD-1 engine in an OBD-0 car. I have a 93 B18A1 in my 90 DB1.

An finally make sure your electrical system is fried. IE: Exposed wires, etc.

Well i knew first hand what the problem was, i went through the same thing, always have to make sure everything is the same OBD just so your swap will be easy, if you did this the first time, you would have been able to complete swap and wiring in a week, we do it all the time, but i tried to help, i knew it was either your harness or distributor.

Back