ignition issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok so i looked into the wiring from that link you sent me dual. i noticed that at A15 it looks like i should splice into it. i cut itand soldered a wire to resistor box. from the diagram it appears wrong... any idea?

ok so i looked into the wiring from that link you sent me dual. i noticed that at A15 it looks like i should splice into it. i cut itand soldered a wire to resistor box. from the diagram it appears wrong... any idea?
That diagram is an EXAMPLE only. It may or may not be the same as what you are looking for.

You need to pull the correct wiring diagram from the year and model of the engine donor vehicle and ensure the ECU & distributor are compatible with it.

Sorry if my link led you astray.

Last edited:
That diagram is an EXAMPLE only. It may or may not be the same as what you are looking for.

You need to pull the correct wiring diagram from the year and model of the engine donor vehicle and ensure the ECU & distributor are compatible with it.

Sorry if my link led you astray.

well the link was not exactly what i needed but i was able to compare. anyways i re-soldered that wire i cut from a15 onto the one i ran from resister. and i tried it and it was back firing in exhaust. so i looked to firing order. it was set one off from rotor. fixed that and vroooom. she fired up. still have a few bugs to fix. and put it back together. ignition is still doing the same thing. but ill address that next. thank you very much dual-500. you have given me the info i needed 2 out of 2 times. your the best

By phuking accident! Better to be lucky than good any day! WTF

Glad you got it. I worked through similar stuff when I did the swap in my '91 hatchback. I even changed from peak and hold to saturated injectors - so the resistor box is gone in mine. Took it from OBD0 to OBD1 in the process.

Glad it helped you sir.

Keep us posted on the relay clicking and ignition switch situation - interesting stuff and it may help someone else. As recommended by another member above, spray the switch - the mechanical part that the key goes into and steering lock components - I use WD-40 on them with success.

Last edited:
will do. i talked to previous owner and he says the ignition has been that way since the auto to manual trans. the purple box has the wire cut. and the neutral safety is wired up. im going to look into it soon

That would be my thought that there isn't a wire hooked up correctly. He might have hooked up the neutral safety making the car think it's in neutral instead of park. It won't let the key out unless it's in park but the car can be started in either park or neutral.

thats kinda what i was thinking. i read your auto to manual swap. im going to locate the interlock relay. remove it and see if that could be my problem

That may be the relay clicking you hear when hooking up the battery.

so the clicking noise i keep hearing when the battery is connected is the ignition. on top there is a small box. under the plastic is a plunger and a shaft. with no power it is to the left. hook up battery it shifts to the right. is this the interlock device?

Back