Ignition System questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chaindtoarock

My '94 prelude with an H22A swap died on the freeway today. It started off normally but as I started up a steep grade it lost power and died. I tried to restart it and it was turning over nicely it just wouldn't fire. I had plenty of gas so I thought fuel pump/filter but when I loosened the line in the engine compartment I had fuel. Next I pulled a wire at the distributor cap and had a friend turn the key, no spark. So I think I need to replace my ignition system. I am thinking that I would replace everything with performance parts ( wires, distributor cap, plugs) to be sure because I need my car back a.s.a.p. and now is the perfect time to get some hp gains since I have to replace the parts anyway. I figure ignition wires are all the same but does anyone have any recommendations on performance replacement parts. I was thinking Mugen ignition coil, NGK plugs. Also any advice, including trusted vendors, would be greatly appreciated as I am not as up on this stuff as I would like to be.

If you're going all aftermarket, just get all MSD or something with NGK plugs(new distributor or rebuilt of course). I didn't even know Mugen had ignition coils; I bet it cost a lot though. an MSD coil cost like $39 at autozone, and about $50 for MSD cap and rotor at either SummitRacing or Jegs.

If you're going all aftermarket, just get all MSD or something with NGK plugs(new distributor or rebuilt of course). I didn't even know Mugen had ignition coils; I bet it cost a lot though. an MSD coil cost like $39 at autozone, and about $50 for MSD cap and rotor at either SummitRacing or Jegs.

Nor did I, and they may not, but my buddy assured me they did. I haven't looked into it yet. If the price outweighs the benefit I don't want to go Mugen just because it says Mugen.

Back