1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition Timing

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by B16RacerN2NR, Dec 1, 2005.

1. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

I finally got a timing light and tried to time my motor(B16 ina CRX for those who don't know) I put it in perfect time (middle of the 3 lines). since I had to advance the timing to get it perfect, the idle kicked up as usually. so I start to close the adjustment screw on the TB a little bit, I get the idle down to about 800. I turn my lights on so the gauge lights up to see my tach, and the idle drops slightly, no big deal, it's not too low. Then something tells me to check the timing with the gun again, so I do and the timing retarded itself. So I turn off lights so the gauge lights go out, check the timing again, and it's dead on. So I start to notice, the more shit I turn on, I.E. headlights, highbeams, heater, ect, the timing slightly retards.

So my question is, is that normal? Should I advance the timing to where it falls into perfect time when I turn my head lights on? give me some suggestion...

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

maybe get a new battery/alt. Mine does the same thing, but ive never had any problems with it feeling sluggish.

3. B16RacerN2NR

actually, it feels a lot better since my timing was retarded so much. I just want a little insight on if I should adjust it more or leave it how it is.

4. reikoshea

well if you advance it a little i dont think it would hurt, just as long as you dont have detonation with the lights off. A few degrees shouldnt hurt.

5. MXDesa

MXDesa Senior Member

NO NO NO NO NO dont touch anything. U set the timing at BTDC right?? Between the three lines? Than means Before Top Dead Center. U set the timing for that RPM which was 800. If you turn on the lights, your idle is going to decrease because you have a load now. Its completly normal for your timing to retard some more and not be the same because the RPMs are completely different. So you did it right and its acting right so leave it alone. (Its quite funny im at Honda Training this week for our dealership and they showed us how to REALLY time a car correctly and u did it fine)

6. reikoshea

BUUUUT...advancing the timing gives better performance [​IMG]

YOU KNOW YOU WANNA!

7. B16RacerN2NR

hmm...interesting

and reik is right, I do want to fuck with the timing more [​IMG] but now that I know that my car is acting normal, i'm going to go slightly advanced. i'm in perfect time right now, maybe 2 degrees advanced might do me some good. Thanks guys.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted