Ignitor/ Coil Problems I think???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flydex28

So Ive got some electrical issues again. This time I was leaving work the other night and as I was pulling out onto the highway to head home the car just kind of sputtered and then died. Will not start at all. I suspected the coil but when I did that simple test to check ohms I got .8 ohms and the 11.54k ohms on the second test which seems to be within spec. I checked the timing belt and it seems ok. The plugs get wet with fuel but not getting any spark. I heard you have to have special equipment to check the ignitor. I do have my old engine (d15b8) and it looks like the coil is the same part number but im not sure about the ignitor. Hopefully its still at my dads shop. My current engine is the B16A SiR2. Can anyone give me any insight. That old engine of mine is 50 miles away...meaning like $30 or $40 in gas just to go get it in my other rig.

Last edited:
A ground may have come loose?

Did you inspect the distributor cap and rotor?

Tested each plug outside the cylinder to see if there was spark on any of them?

The cap and rotor look fine.. I did not check spark at each plug because the first plug did not spark at all. The other three plugs were wet with fuel. Now on the coil im getting .9 to 1.1 or so ohms which is above spec (0.6 to 0.8 ohms)and the other test is still showing below spec but not by much. Ground are good. I think someone might be bringing me my old distributer this weekend...hopefully so I can swap the coil. Still not sure if the ignitor is the same though.

Ehh.. distributers are expensive. Does anybody know the main things inside that go bad besides the coil and ignitor? Is there anything else you have to look out for in there that can go bad?

Figured out the problem.. The coil was bad. I borrowed one from someone and installed it and it finally got spark. I noticed the distributer cap gasket was broken so not sure if that contributed to the coil going out.

Back