1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

illegal to boost?

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by PHOBIA, Jun 28, 2004.

1. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

ok,this is super retarded.is it illegal to boost my civic? for a while know the chp has been poping a hood to anyone they pull over"modded looking cars"looking for illegal modifications.i noticed that some of the turbo kits are carb approved.if i build a turbo setup i wont have any carb info,so is it illegal for me to do this.is there only so much boost you can run?

2. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

if you boost it and then it fails the CARB mandated BAR testing, then yes it's illegal.

3. lsvteccrx

lsvteccrx Senior Member

if you think you will fail, you might be able to pay somebody to "make it pass". I've seen it done. but good luck.

4. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

well my motor is illegal allready,but all the chp sed was "i dont think the 91 hb came with a dohc"and that was that.but if the turbo is in plain view them i am busted right off the bat right?i thought that the greddy kit had a carb exemption tag right on the autual turbo?i thought about trying to bribe some one.auctually the guy who i traded my car with was a smog tech and passed it for me but the smog pass is different than a auctual inspection station ive been told.they look for everything to make sure it falls inline with obd/correct parts,the smog stations just get your reading and tell you whats up.if im not mistaken.

5. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

would it be possible to use a edelbrock performer kit on my 91 hb si with a b16 swap? i read that,that kit is carb approved.i now its only approved for that specific model civic/year but it would throw the average chp.

6. lsvteccrx

lsvteccrx Senior Member

i dont know.... but what state are you in? it dont seem like NY. Its easy to get our cars passed.

7. jamesA

yep, if you do an a2 swap and put that kit on it it should be carb legal, AS LONG as the motor was carb legal in the first place, if the motor is failing BAR tests then you'll have to give it a tune up before using it.

Edit: he's in California, notice he says CHP-Cali Highway patrol.

8. lsvteccrx

lsvteccrx Senior Member

Ok..... it must be hard to do serious mods to cars in cali. my car isnt even required to get an emissions inspection. :D

9. Havok

Havok Senior Member

Putting a B16A2 is not only going from OBD2-0, but also going from hydro to cable tranny. At that point, it wouldn't even be worth it.

10. jamesA

tru dat, but i'm just answering the question he's asking. But... he'll need the S4C tranny to do an a2 swap anyway.

11. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

i have the first gen model b16 with a cable tranny.

12. Havok

Havok Senior Member

If the engine is the same year or NEWER than the car itself, you should be fine, but who knows with California's fucked up laws, they probably update them hourly.

13. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Get the fuck out of faggot-ass California for starters. Move up here to Washington where all you have to do is pass a sniffer test, and that's only in five counties. The rest don't have emissions. California licks my fat hairy ballbag.

14. jamesA

LOL :werd:

Indiana doesn't have ANY emissions in any county.

15. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

auctuallyi was considering it,i got family in olympia,wa .but that wether issuper depressing.all dark and shit all the time.

16. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

hasport has the hydro kit out for EF's, and even if he didnt wanna do that, its not hard to just use a cable tranny. and obd2-0 isnt that bad, just convert everything to obd1, no biggie.

17. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

im not using obd-2...were is the carb expemtion identification plat located on the turbo it's self?

18. hondamidnighter

hondamidnighter Senior Member

Well from the news im seeing in yahoo about LAPD police having trouble fighting crime, yall people from LA California have a new Police chief,and he says that he will keep up with crime and fight it. The way he is going to do it is by putting up new laws(even more) for gangs, robberies, grand theft auto, and the only street racing.

Yeah Mabye Off Topic but just a heads up with LA people

HaHaHaHa goodness I live here in Texas were we can get away with inspection crap. we could swap engines without reporting anything, put no carb legal turbos and intakes, sometimes get away with strait catback exhaust with no catalyt converter.

19. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Senior Member

well it kinda goes like this,the few people that know smog refs keep them to them selves,i know of 2 but i will not and cannot give there info out.a lot of people just put the stock motor in after 2 years get it tested and then switch back.

20. NotUrAverage_Si

NotUrAverage_Si Senior Member

not really, it's actually quite easy...if you know the right people.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted