illegal to boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

new york is getting stiffer on emmissions as well
they had emissions tests in the five buroughs, but now i guess next year they start mandatory testing for 96 and newer cars...

inspection fees are gonna be out of control to afford all the new equipment that has to be directly connected to the state capital...

wtf

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si+Jun 28 2004, 10:37 AM-->
lsvteccrx
@Jun 27 2004, 09:49 PM
Ok..... it must be hard to do serious mods to cars in cali.

not really, it's actually quite easy...if you know the right people.

my problem isnt with the smog refs,its with this new tactic the chp is using to stop street racing.so anyone know were the carb exempt plates are located on the carb approved turbo kits?

What part of CA are you from? I haven't had any problems with the CHP, just had bad experiences in the past with Ontario PD and have learned my lesson to never go back there.

Actually I take that back, cause to get to work sometimes I have to drive through west Ontario but they never seem to bother me during the day time, maybe it's cause I'm wearing a suit and tie? Wedensday night Ontario street races is a different story.

Originally posted by PHOBIA+Jun 28 2004, 09:57 AM-->
Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Jun 28 2004, 10:37 AM
lsvteccrx

my problem isnt with the smog refs,its with this new tactic the chp is using to stop street racing.so anyone know were the carb exempt plates are located on the carb approved turbo kits?

Don't street race and you won't have a problem then.

Originally posted by PHOBIA@Jun 28 2004, 10:57 AM
so anyone know were the carb exempt plates are located on the carb approved turbo kits?

probably on the turbo itself.

Originally posted by brc80+Jun 28 2004, 01:31 PM-->
Originally posted by PHOBIA@Jun 28 2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Jun 28 2004, 10:37 AM
lsvteccrx

Don't street race and you won't have a problem then.

both incidents i wasnt racing, imy iacv crapped out on me and my exhaust was reving and i was pulled over for that and he told me to pop the hood,"i just learned that if i dont want them to look,they need a warrent"auctually when i was stopped for racing they didnt check for mods"he was a street cop"

I live in so cal, and ive never been told to pop my hood any of the times ive been pulled over. As long as your not drivng an Insanely loud car or driving like a jack ass you should be fine. And if your hanging out in areas with know racing to be going on, your going to get your hood popped no matter what you have done to your car.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si+Jun 28 2004, 11:35 AM-->
@Jun 28 2004, 10:57 AM
so anyone know were the carb exempt plates are located on the carb approved turbo kits?

probably on the turbo itself.

The Greddy kit has a Blue engraved plate attached directly on the turbo not sure about the edlbrock or any of the other ones though

Doesn't sound like any knowedgable people IN california, have made much of an attempt to help the guy out. Regarding the legality of the turbo kit, there are only 2 that I know of, greddy, and edelbrock. Keep in mind I am speaking of legality issues in california. CARB is a california-only thing that I know of, being that it stands for California Air Resources Board. Using the kits above, with the motor that it was built for (carb refs might fudge this a bit, I am not sure), you have to go to the referee in your area, let him know what your situation is, and get info from him on how to legalize it. For instance, you have a 91 ef civic, and you want to drop a b16a in it, with a turbo kit, one of the CARB approved kits. You need to let him know the serial numbers of the kit, and what model/ year of the chassis, what model/year of the motor you are swapping in, and what turbo kit. The referee, depending on how strict/laid back he is, will tell you what needs to be done. Here is a quick bit of info. If you are dropping a vtec motor into any pre-92 car, you WILL have to convert your obd level. Vtec was introduced in america with obd1 electronics systems, and so you will need to be at least obd1 depending on which motor you are running. Also, if you are swapping in a USDM motor, you must use whichever obd the motor was originally equipped. A b16a2 motor out of a civic si would require obd2 electronics for instance. The tranny has nothing to do with anything, I am pretty sure of that, since it has absolutely nothing to do with emissions. If your motor swap is legit, then start focusing on the turbo kit. Get it installed correctly, and tuned correctly. Then make an appointment with the CARB referee in your area to get the kit approved. CARB exemption orders don't mean jack to cops, they'll think you are running an illegal kit on there until they see documention stating that it is legal, i.e. a BAR Sticker and CARB certificate. The smog guys however will probably not care about anything as long as you have documentation stating the kit is exempt from emissions testing.

Originally posted by PHOBIA@Jun 28 2004, 12:27 AM
i got family in olympia,wa .but that wether issuper depressing.all dark and shit all the time.

no smog, less traffic, less to do, darker, more laid back people and laws. I've been to Cali, and I wasn't all that impressed either. A place is what you make of it.

40 Minutes to Oly for me.......

werd

I was just goin up the freeway and i passed a cop (he was on the opp side) and he hit a u-turn and pulled me over down the freeway a few miles. this was a state patrol and he walks up and says " Alright, im going to play mr.nice cop today, what did you do to this thing to make it so loud?" in a incocent childs voice "i ... uh... i straight piped it sir." his reply "okay you need to get it fixed, that is your warnin".

I still laugh about it.

Funny thing is that here in wisconsin it is big ass fine to be running without a cat ona newer car. I had 2 1/4" pipe straight back to a shit can. It was extremely loud. Espeically at 4k.

Now I have 2 silencers on there and it is a bit better.

nathan

uh or you could just leave the cat on it... or get a racing cat...

the hp you gain is negligable and isn't worth the ticket...

I have a race cat on a Greddy:pE (70mm). I easily have one of the most quiet modified imports in my area. No silencers. Good gaskets and tight installation will make your ride quiet enough to shake off cops.

i auctually carry paper work from greddy in my car now that shows that it has passed the db test by california.so if i get stopped,its in the same evelope that i keep /reg/insurance. ok .now i am considering boosting my b16 for my next mod.
legal or not i an stopping any form or racing as not to chance getting busted.
is it safe to run say 7-8 psi on stock internals with a b16.this is going into my 91 hb si and i dont really have the money for a whole turbonetics kit or a drag kit so i figured i would try and piece something together.what are the signs of a turbo thats on its last legs.take ebay for example.before i go buying anything what can i look for to enusre that it has some life left in it.i know about small cracking but is there anything else?

Well, you can tell if the turbo has bad seals if it is burning oil. I'd check with the seller to see if the turbo's seals are shot. excessive play, worn fins, housing scoring on the inside, that's all stuff that can happen as a turbo wears out. As for whether to boost 7-8psi on a stock b16a, that shouldn't be a problem provided you have a decent set of rings and good valve seats. That isn't that much boost.

Back