Im a NOOB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97CIVSI

Please help! I have a 97 civic with a D16Z6 its supposed to be vtec but I don't feel the vtec at all... I was told it was set to all time... how the hell do you change it to normal. And on such a small engine would I even feel a significant difference?

there is not a significant difference or noticeable engagement with the D16Z6
the D16Z6 is also the wrong engine for that car, it should be using a D16Y8 at least
VTEC cross over point is set by either the ECU, or a piggyback controller

Could you please get a little deeper into that? I have been building mustangs my whole life this is my very first Honda so I have absolutley no idea what your talking about... explain in idiot terms please...

the z6 was in obd1 cars, single cam vtecs dont have a huge boost in power when vtec in engages. also engagement is usually controlled by the ecu. so there is a possibility that it isnt wired up

How would I know if its wired up..? Where to look? What to look for? Is this engine worth building up? I don't have alot of money but I would like to use it wisely...

Also would changing my evi be a good idea someone at work offered to give me a p28 I think... would tha help my cause any...

ECU sorry for the typo. Damn predictive text on my phone screwed me up...

the p28 is the ecu for that motor. but the car is obd2 while the motor and ecu are obd1. it depends on the wiring changes they made to put the motor in.

Sooo what's that mean? Im sorry for all the retard questions but I have no damn idea about these engines if it were an american motor it would be a totally different story but this is a whole.different animal...

check what ecu is in the car now. that motor needs a p28 but the wiring might need modified for it to work

That's a very good question... im going by the numbers on the block... I know this is a dumb ass. Question but I know nothig at all about this car. Where the hell is the ECU? And how do know what the hell kind it is? Im ssorry for the dumb questions guys im just trying to grasp the basics. Thanks for your patience.

And just out of curiosity is there a DOHC VTEC D series engine?

The ECU is on the passenger side behind the trim; under the dash. There's a sticker on the ECU that'll tell you what it is.

No, but there is a non-VTEC one called a DOHC ZC.

ECU is the computer.

VTEC solenoid is right next to the distributor (on the firewall side). It is based on manipulating the rocker assembly shaft and will engage another lobe on the camshaft for VTEC (when ECU tells it to kick in at a specific rpm)

I had the D16Z6 in my EH3 (came stock) and VTEC engagement is not noticeable to the ear or the "butt dyno" I did not enjoy it with basic bolt ons and my car is lighter than yours.......I say ditch it for a B18B1 swap.....more torque and hP.....plus running an OBD1 engine in an OBD2 car is not a good situation (although it will work) and is most likely illegal in your state. Swap should be the same year as the car or newer.

If you have it wired correctly......and with a jumper harness (to convert your OBD2 wiring to OBD1 at the ECU), with the P28 ECU (stock for D16Z6)......and have no Check Engine Light (CEL) then VTEC should be working.

Glad to hear you went from Muffstanks to Hondas :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good starter tip.

D series= single cam SOHC

B series= dual cam DOHC

Props to k2e2vin . Damn good with research and knowledge . :welcomeani:

Thanks guys I appreciate the help... I can see how you can get so much satisfation from watching a 4 cylinder engine you built kick the shit outta one of the big boys... I have had a prelude stomp my ass in a mustang cobra and since then I've wanted a Honda...;)

Back