I'm a Whore

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
the consultant thing doesn't work for me. i don't like the feeling of unknowingness. Sure, i may make less money-- but i know that each and every day, i'm going to get paid today. VS steve, who works for 4 months, then is off for 6 looking for the next contract.... i couldn't do that.

I'm not paid a lot because i don't have a college degree. I gotta finish that at some point. And i don't have much expr. either... i'm on my 3rd year. In another year or so, i'll be considered "mid-career" and i'll be looked at higher than an entry-level guy with 1-3 yrs. I can out-do 95% of the people out of school, and a lot who have 10-15 years...
and a lot of it comes from teaching yourself new things.
i'm active on several high-volume web-dev and application lists.

I learnded AJAX today :p so, now i can add that to the arsenal.

It's not every day that you can find a person who can build computers/servers, understands point-to-point vs frame relay, phone systems/smart cards/T's/etc, can build a highly-popular standards-based website, program in asp, php, c++, javascript, perl, python, can read java enough to follow it, knows both linux and pc,

bah, i just bored myself... but you get the point. i'm worth way more than 45k a year...

You may want to check out Ruby on Rails. That's some wacked out shit there.

I hated working for other now working for myself, I have never been happier. Why work at a job you hate for 20 years when you could wake up everyday with a smile and head off to do somthing you love?

Well i love doing what i do, but i hate going to work. I dont mind the people on the phone, i mind the people at work. All they do is bitch, and when they arent bitching the team leaders are yelling at us for having fun instead of working. Damnit if i could do my job in a dark room and not talk to anyone...everything would be fine.

I used to do the IT thing...until we hired a "consultant"....notice i said hired...hes perm. Stole the fun part of my days, but oh well...better him than me.

explain what. I was making prospective calls (for car dealerships) and maintaining the network, building computers blah blah blah. Then the boss descided we needed a piece of software to import our calls for us and manage our customers. The Access database i setup was getting kinda bogged down, so i understand that. So he setup that software and after he was done he stayed on as a software consultant and network/hardware repair guy.

I am going to school for IT shit right now. I have taken several contracted jobs latly, hell I have one lined up for next week. But even at 19 I know what you mean by being treated like a whore. They hire my partner and me to do some pretty advanced stuff for way cheap and get pissed when we want to do somthing they dont understand. I am really looking forward to getting a full time job in the next year or so as a help desk bitch and hopefully work my way up.

IT is strange though. I dont think alot of people outside of the "community" understand what its all about. One of my instructors has a "resume" that is about 12 pages long. But the dude has written 20 somthing odd books. Here is a list of books he has written listed on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...5005289-5212143

He made a point that some companies are assholes and dump longer resume's. Hopefully you find a company that understands and appreciates you for the quaility work you have done not look at you as being a whore.

Quoted post[/post]]
You may want to check out Ruby on Rails. That's some wacked out shit there.

i've played with ruby a little bit..... i need to do more reading on it. i suck at xml and xlst too... its too ".net-ish" for me to like it i think... <param:something> crap... :shiver:

neat concept though

request_cycle.png

GIMMIE VB PLZ!!!

Or HTML...Action Script....Java Script....NOT XML PLEASE GOD.

vb sucks. worst language ever. trust me, i know. i use it daily.

action script is worthless... flash is worthless....

javascript- great, but its practically phased out with ECMAScript being the standard. sure, its close, but its not the same..

html is SGML markup. it is NOT a programming language.

XML is also markup, not a programing language.

tis true...html is a lil bit too easy to be a languange, but its still shit you gotta know. But VB+Access can do some great things....sql scripts are pretty hawt too.

probably not...everything ive learned has been through work experience or reading. ive never had a class on anything, but i can get by on what i have. Access has some great features, but i think i would be better off if i got into LAMP.

The entire credit card communications infrastructure is held together with Access databases.

Think about that.

Quoted post[/post]]
CREDIT CARDS SUCK...

There are highs and lows to HR... without us you wouldnt get paid...

Hardly. Come on now. You have got to be kidding.

You mean no one got paid before Human Resources ? Small companies don't pay their people ? Firedepartments and Police departments don't get paid ?

Wow. Thank god for 4 j00.

Human Resources never did ANYTHING good for anyone. They were added and now a part of law for certain sized private companies. Human Resources (I'm a resource?) was only there to serve as a confidential office to support employees in disputes.

They got paid, but now you got to bitch at someone who actually would do something about you not being paid properly, would entitle you to a raise when u deserved it, and helped you regarding ur benefits, and who else would manage your crap while you go on vacation...? Get over it... HR isnt bad, not unless u dont do ur job properly... (and recruiters/acencies are not HR to me, they are wage robbers who claim to be HR, but they are just placement snobs) HR people I admit get paid too much to do so little, but hey... thats what I do best.. like today, I have nothing to do.. payroll is due only once every week, and the rest of the time i just sit here and look pretty.. :mrgreen:

we have a seperate accounting department that pays employees.

HR at Access TCA just hires people.

Well that is true, most HR Dept. are different........
Im a good HR Person.. And I will be a good director..

How about this, will you guys accept me if and when I become a Director of HR, I only give the HR people a hard time (what I was planning on doing anyways.. lol)... and leave the good employees to do their jobs hassle free?

Back