I'm buying a sport bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Here is my opinion, there is allot of good advise on here from the members. BUT before you think of getting the bike, GET YOUR GEAR RIGHT!! Name brand DOES matter as far as gear. I been riding since 98 and been down 3 times. I owned a Vanson for the first 2 spills(long story on why i did not have it for the third), but decided to buy a cheap jacket because I wanted to ride. Well....for my third spill, i rolled across the highway like a tumble weed. The "cheap" jacket not only ripped to shreds, but rode up because it was not fitting snug(like it suppose to) So now i have the scars on my arms, lower back and abdomen to prove that name brand does matter. I strongly believe in "Buy it right the first time", but i let my love for riding go against my better judgment. When I ride I’m geared up: Arai Helmet, Vanson Cobra 2 Jacket, AlpineStar gloves and SIDI Super Crosa boots. I also wear knee pads under my jeans. Most of my friends ride and took spills too and i have seen the difference that the correct gear makes.

As far as the bike, get what YOU are comfortable with. Go into the shops, sit on the bikes. Tuck down like you where really riding and see if you like how it feels (keep both feet on the ground tho, u dont wanna drop it!). You will quickly notice that some bikes are more "leaned" over than others. If it’s a 250,500 or 600 bottomline, get what you want. The 600’s are a good bikes to learn on, just don't go over a 6. If you do get a fairly new bike, get some frame sliders put on. That would save it from those small "tear off's" (tear off is what we call crashes around here). The reality of it is, you are gonna drop it and you can hurt yourself on a 250 as much as on a 1000, so just be smart when riding and use good judgment. Don’t ride with a guy that’s more experienced. Rookie riders get out there and try to keep up with the more experienced riders and end up tearing off. I always tell newbies to ride by themselves for a couple months. You will build your confidence and get to know what your bike can do in certain situations. Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
the 250 is a good beater/learner bike because you might not want to dump (and i agree that you will) a new 600. After you are confident (not overly so) you can sell it to get yourself something bigger. However, if you can keep your wrist from the twist... you'll be alright.

it's nice being a girl... if i can't pick up the bike after laying it over... *take off helmet, unzip leathers, shake hair* someone will help me ;)

take a look at the suzuki sv650, it is a great bike , cheaper and more well mannered than most 600's and it is faster than you need

Yes, the new SV's are nice. Not a fan of them, but that's prolly just because I've have had better. Nice looking bikes nevertheless, and a comfortable upright riding position. I sat on one, it felt good.

Back