i'm gettin a gti.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zcrex

yea i'm gettin a 02 vw gti 1.8t here in a lil bit. i just wanted to know if any of ya'll know what to expect from it. i rode in my freinds with a chip/exaust/cai, and his was pretty damn quick. but i hear they have tranny issues and i was wondering if anyone has ran into/ known anyone who has ran into these problems.

all i know is that a stock gsr with a turbo will smoke it.

Originally posted by get_nick@Nov 3 2003, 04:00 AM
all i know is that a stock gsr with a turbo will smoke it.

:owned:

I know nothing about it. sorry mang

I work at a VW dealership and I can tell you that the 1.8T GTI is sweet. Turn off the traction control and have some fun!
We had a few come in with chips and exhaust and they haul ass. Good powerplant and easy to extract hp out of it.
Good car.

heheh we'll find out soon enought about the turbo. and i know my friend has a 1.8t with up and down pipe, exaust, fmic, chip, and he beats the hell outta by other friends gsr hatch. so i think that a turbo gsr will have a good run at me. at least if he fucks up his car i can offer to fix it. heheh

sorry, i forgot to answer your question. the intercoolers suck on those. they are horribly inefficient. the vr6 is a lot better platform from VW and will be faster, i would try to find a gti with the vr6 motor.

the 1.8T is quick. it has MAD torque because of the 3 valve per cylinder setup along with the turbo.

my friend has one and he smokes hondas on the regular:
when he was bone stock: he smokes SI's, GSR's, and type r's on everyday basis.
when he got chipped, 19"ed, with an intake: he beats 350z's s2k's, 3.2 tl-s's, etc.

gsr turbo beats him, yep

it handles great, interior's nice, but you cannot disable the traction control just like that, he can't launch correctly and in 1st and 2nd gear he loses traction, rpm just drops down.

yea i'm gettin a fmic so that's no big deal. and i don't wanna get a vr6, from what i hear from the vdubbers the 1.8t is a lot easier to get hp out of, also if i get a cai then i won't have to worry about hydrolock as much. but i prolly wouldn't worry anyways.

forgot to answer you question also:

vr6's are faster stock but when both are chipped the 1.8T is faster.

problems: the diverter is a plastic peice and its known to break. it should be the first thing you change to a metal unit. the only weak point is its gear ratio isn't so great, there's practically not much pull in 4th and 5th gear.

i haven't heard of any "tranny" issues you speak of. from my driving impressions the VW's are nice, quick cars.

Originally posted by word@Nov 2 2003, 11:09 PM
the 1.8T is quick. it has MAD torque because of the 3 valve per cylinder setup along with the turbo.

my friend has one and he smokes hondas on the regular:
when he was bone stock: he smokes SI's, GSR's, and type r's on everyday basis.
when he got chipped, 19"ed, with an intake: he beats 350z's s2k's, 3.2 tl-s's, etc.

gsr turbo beats him, yep

it handles great, interior's nice, but you cannot disable the traction control just like that, he can't launch correctly and in 1st and 2nd gear he loses traction, rpm just drops down.

in my friends jetta all he has to do is press a button and the traction control is off.

Originally posted by word@Nov 2 2003, 11:09 PM

The VW 5 valve per cylinder engine has plenty of inlet valve area from its 3 inlet valves per cylinder but space constraints mean the lifters are only 24mm diameter. This limits the design of the cam profile so badly that the power potential of the engine is reduced below that of the much simpler 4 valve per cylinder design. In effect, this engine ended up as nothing more than a very complex and expensive marketing exercise.

Yep the stock intercooler sucks. Had to change mine out. Also up and down pipe, sway bars, bigger intake manifold ( I have a 50mm intake manifold on my 1.8T ), big bore intakes for the intercooler, and a must is chip it. I also run with Projektzwo P2 Wheels 18 x 8.5 wheels, and a Shrick cam.

friend of mine has a stock golf 1.8t. i beat him every time...

its nice and all, but his clutch died after 6000 miles. and no, he was not driving overly aggressive, AT ALL. hardly even floored it, never did burn outs// races//etc.

we were driving down the freeway doing the speed limit*65*, i was following him in m my accord, and all of a sudden i smell clutch burning, and i see him slow down and stop. he could put the car in any gear, let out the clutch and it would not move or die.

hey what about that new r32 (or r34?) golf or something like that. I heard those are suppose to be badass.

yea my boy with jetta has a forged dv. he told me that the stock ones would melt if i boosted it too much more. :(

diverter valve. it's just a fancy name for a 50/50 blow off valve i think.

I like the look of the GTI's... similar to the 3rd gen Civic hatchbacks... It's what Hondas newer hatches should have looked like. :)

Back