I'm getting my ass kicked by adware.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
I need help. I've run Spyware doctor, have McAfee running, and hijack this. All of which have found and removed adware, but this shit keeps coming back.

This is the second time I typed this post, because my freaking browser was taken over.. I'm getting 6 popups at a time, all high profile companies such as lycos, altoids, coke, Orbitz, etc...

This adware is somehow sliding in under the radar. Anyone know how to zap it? This is the most troublesome bastard I have ever run across.

**edit**

the HTML for the popups seems to be originating from ad.firstadsolution.com Hope that helps

Last edited:
I had to switch to firefox.. IE is totally fucked now, I can't go anywhere.

I wish there was a way to sue this company for lost productivity. But I know thats a pipe dream. I'm boycotting orbitz and altoids for this, fuck them. Coke, well, I like my jack and coke too much.

and thats what they are betting on ;)

AVG rocks. thats what i used on every system that i BUILT for other people. no one has called me back asking for me to fix their computer.

CRX-YEM said:
I'd say switch to linux. and almost 99.9% of your worries are gone.
or get AVG I guess

+1 for switching to Linux. I haven't had to worry about adware or viruses for years. Stuff like this is why I no longer use Windows... it's just too insecure and prone to nasties just waltzing in and nuking your system.

Get Kaspersky AV, it's way > AVG and gets rid of spyware pretty quick.
Does hourly updates too.

hmmm...kasperky AV...ill have to check that out too then...cuz i use AVG right now...but still have problems...is kasperky free?

Ok, three times now while trying to use IE to "authenticate windows" so I can download windows defender, the browser has been hijacked.

FUCK THIS! I've downloaded and run 4 different spyware/adware removal/protection programs. NONE have picked up this bastard. I have two running "protection" at once and these popups still continue.

Wow, whoever designed this shit is genious. But they should be shot to death.. one finger, one toe at a time.

Kaspersky and Firefox
Get firefox with FTP and then get Kaspersky 6 from your favorite st0l3deds0ftw4r3omg.com site.
Mr 97accordex, and it's not normally free.

It depends on what kind of adware you're getting. Is it random pop ups? Did you try googling for those specific type of pop-ups? Like lyco pop up or something like that. That helps me sometimes because there are programs specifically designed to get rid of that certain kind like if you're browser is getting hacked, try running CWShredder from TrendMicro. It helped me get rid of it. It was resetting my homepage and leading me to about:blank.

Also, I like running Spybot Search and Destory and Lavasoft Ada-ware. That cleans the majority of the crap I have. HiJackThis! should be ran and logged. Then post it at Castlecops so they can advise which are okay to remove. Theyre really helpful, but may take a couple of days because they're usually pretty busy.

It was horrible.. Hijack this didn't pick it up at all. Nor did several spy/adware programs. It was a slick bastard. It would open windows and popups at any random time, three-six at a time. If you were in IE, it would jack that window as well.

What finally slayed the beast was a "windows malicious software remover" program from microsoft, then I ran a sweep with Windows Defender that picked up two more programs that everything else missed. That bastard is dead, thank god.

We're back in the clear. That was the most troublesome one I've ever run into. I always run hijack this and clean it up that way, or hit regedit and dig through manually, but there is way too much crap on this comp to even think about doing that. This bastard has been running for 6 years with no fdisks or wipe/reloads.. Has survived numerous hijackings, two viruses, and two totally fucked up worms. I tell you, this computer is a survivor.

Still running Windows 2k Pro btw.

man...i did a scan on my computer last night...and i found 3 different keyloggers on the damn thing...had to go into the registry manually to delete them...grrrrrrr...

If you guys really want to get rid of spyware, First get rid of spyware doctor it's not worth 2cents. I'm a computer techinician and I use 4 different progy's to get rid of spyware.

1. Download and Ewido Security Suit, update and run it, but say good bye to Morphues, Kazaa, Imesh if your using them, because rip them out of the system and delete all musick along with it. Works great though.

2. Download Spysweeper, update and run that, have it delete everything it finds, same with ewido.

3. Download and run Adawae,

4 finally download and run spybot, 1 after the other, in the oder I have stated here for best results.

This and then get back with, if you still have other problems and I see what I can do

Scorp

P.S. Windows Defender isn't worth 2 cents either. Trust me I know from 10yrs experience and a friend that works for MS.

Last edited:
I use Adaware, and Spybot search and destroy. I have to run them about once a week, but they seem to work quite well. I run them along with the Norton Corporate edition for my Anti-Virus, and I strictly use firefox. It really seems to calm all the shit down.

welcome to the board scorpin, the reason why you see a lot of computers questions on this board is because most of the heavy posters are in the computer field whether its tech support, db admin, network admins, etc.

we can always use more geeks. :)

Well, windows malicious software remover + Windows defender did the trick when 5 others failed. So I wouldn't call it worthless.. I'm sure no program can get every single virus/adware/spyware program, you just have to find what works.

P.S. Win Defender has some pretty cool tools built into it, too.

Back