I'm getting screwed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
So I got a new car back in august. I needed good rates for full coverage. I went on my dad's insurance policy. I was on my own.

My insurance lady is a close family friend. She's my step mom's good friend from catholic school in the philipines so we get "better than average" rates supposedly. Well I started out paying 291 a month. I have an accident and ticket on my record on the same date. I was told that in december, when my accident/ticket come off my record I'd get lower rates, and when I got my grades for that quarter(full time college student) I'd be able to get good student discount.

Come this month, my rates never went down. I never got the grades for it, I got a 2.9 and not a 3.0 that is needed for the discount, so it'd have to wait for another quarter, but my accident/ticket came off my record. I call to adjust my rate, and make sure it comes off.

First thing she says, is where are your grades? I need your grade report, otherwise you're going to have to back pay for the past quarter. I'm like WTF? YOu said I'd get the discount afterwards. Sure enough, she applied the discount without my grades in august, and never even ran my record so my accident/ticket never were on my record, or atleast it never pinged my rates even though it was an at fault accident.

Now she said that the only thing I have to look forward to now is my rates going down on my 20th birthday in February, and I have a readjustment for feb 11, after my first 6 months with the company have been accrued. Then she said, she hopes that corporate never looks for the student discount, because she wasn't going to take it off there because she thought I'd be able to do it this quarter. This lady has known me for a solid 8 years I guess, so yeah...she's like an aunt, and I can't talk back much. The only thing she said I could do to lower then more, is get a multi line discount, like open up some other kind of policy with her company.

She owns the building, and her brokerage, but I just think I'm getting fucked on this one. I don't know. 291, is a buck more than my car payment, and I'm in college, and all my buddies have rates at half mine with accidents for full coverage.

holy fuck.

291 is rediculous.

i pay less than half that for full coverage on an m3 and full coverage on a 2.5RS

Yeah I have a perfect record now and they think I'm getting good grades, multi car discount, dad has perfect credit, I have very good credit, fuck I don't know. I feel like I'm getting taken for a ride on this one.

<-- i'm with progressive and they've served me well, even through the whole sti incident... within 2 days (during a snow storm) the adjuster had visited the shop and approved the work.

esurance.com has bargain insurance to. you are getting hosed big time. i had 3 tickets on my record and full coverage for a new civic coupe was way less than that.

<-- i'm with progressive and they've served me well, even through the whole sti incident... within 2 days (during a snow storm) the adjuster had visited the shop and approved the work.

Ditto... I have Progressive and pay $180/mo for my CRV & my Grand Caravan w/ full coverage. I haven't had any major claims, but my glass claims have been ZERO issue, and although I could get even cheaper, Progressive is just steady and reliable so I stick with it.

<---- pays $100 a year. I believe 4 aces beats a royal flush.

Statefarm does me well.

esureance. com seems to be one of the cheaper insurance cos out there.

all you guys are over 25 though. hes a guy under 20. of course he'll get raped.
that's not necessarily true. full coverage for my civic with 3 tickets when i was 20 years old was only $160/mo. it was with usaa. small town insurance companies suck. stick with the big dogs.

Holy shit 291 is outrages.

I pay 176 for my 89 HF and my 05 yukon together. And rates are supposed to be high for the SUV's.

Geico FTW

It's Statefarm guys. That's the shitty thing. I'm on my old man's policy. I don't know. I think it has to do with my history. Tomorrow I'm going to shop around. I'm just frustrated. It's more than my car payment.

I have like 4 speeding tickets, 1 no seat belt, 2 accidents (1 my fault), wreckless driving and exhibition of racing ticket. And my payment is still 176.

Good luck!!!

dude, 291/mo when you are ON your parents policy is outrageous. My friend paid something like 300-330 when he had his gt4 (before ji bought it) and thats when he was on his moms policy. YOu have a tC right? thats stupid high, shit when i get quotes from progressive online for a 350z its not even that much... (22, no accidents, no tickets)

I pay 125 on the Integra on AllState but it's under as my mom's primary. But it has 15 tickets and 2 written warnings on it without the rates going up. Of course 8 are parking tickets and I also know people and get all the points dropped too, haha.

Last edited:
20 years old or not, $291 while on your parents policy is fucking ridiculous.

When I was with Farmers in 2003, I was 20, I had 2 tickets, both for speeding and I had my girlfriend on my policy as another driver, she was 18 and had a speeding ticket as well. I was paying $232 on a 98 Explorer. Full coverage and it was a 4WD Eddie Bauer Edition. You are getting hosed.

Right now i'm with a company called Deerbrooke, they are a branch off All State. They are really good. For full coverage on my 06 Mazda 5 and liability on my CRX I pay $158 and that is with my girlfriend on my policy and we each have 1 ticket on our records. Mine gets off my record in march so my premium will drop and my girlfriend's ticket will be off in april so my premium will change again. When both ticlets are gone, I will be paying $91 :) woot....

that's not necessarily true. full coverage for my civic with 3 tickets when i was 20 years old was only $160/mo. it was with usaa. small town insurance companies suck. stick with the big dogs.
Ya'll gotta remember it all depends on location to as well as age. at 18 when I first got stationed in New Mexico Usaa wanted $400 a month, Geico $500, finally settled with Phoenix Indemnity for $280 a month, now at 23 moved back to the same state, Geico wanted 180, Usaa $80 and should be dropping next month and then again when I hit 24

Back