im in the half way into my b18c1 swap....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

does anyone know how to register a car with a new motor in it..? i was just thinking that it would be cool to be able to not having to swap back to my stock motor when it came time to smog. is it possible? i have a 1995 b18c1 motor going into my 88 crx si. any help we be great thanks.....

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Sep 8 2004, 09:45 AM
dude it depends on what state
[post=387450]Quoted post[/post]​

Even in CA, where I believe we have some of the strictest smog laws, it can be done. As long as the engine came from the same year or newer vehicle and all the emission control systems came with it.

Originally posted by sleeper_crx88@Sep 8 2004, 11:41 AM
does anyone know how to register a car with a new motor in it..? i was just thinking that it would be cool to be able to not having to swap back to my stock motor when it came time to smog. is it possible? i have a 1995 b18c1 motor going into my 88 crx si. any help we be great thanks.....
[post=387444]Quoted post[/post]​

i live in california...

yeah as long as you retain ALL the factory smog control devices you shouldn't have a problem at all- but make sure everything is there, and that every vacuum line has a purpose, etc-

when you think about it, you're doing them a favor, but replacing an aging powertrain with an updated, more emissions friendly unit :nod:

Are you trying to register the car or pass smog?

If you're just worried about registering it, then the engine does not matter. It is all based upon the VIN. The VIN will identify the manufacturer, year of production, make, model, etc and that is how the DMV tracks vehicles. They couldn't care less about the engine.

That being said, you may or may not need a valid smog cert to register the car. I have an 89 CRX Si and it has to be smogged every 2 years. If your registration shows up requiring the smog cert, then you have to have it. If not, then they'll probably get you next year.

There are some very good links about passing CA smog on this site in the references section.

The quick answer is "Yes". I have an 89 Civic hatchback and have gotten the B18C installation through all the Referee requirements. (ya, I live in California) Here is what you will be facing;

When you go to register the car they will require you to show a smog certificate unless the prior owner had recently done such (this is only valid for a short amount of time, like a month or two).

When you go to a smog check station, they will notice the swapped engine and tell you that you have to go to a State Referee station to get the installation "certified".

You have to call the state and set up an appointment to take your car in for review.

At the Referee station, they will verify that the engine is the same year as the car, or newer. All smog equipment for the newer engine must be installed and working. It must be USDM specification smog stuff.

If you have an item like an aftermarket exhaust manifold (I've got a DC sport header), it has to have a California CARB certification for it and it has to be for the year of the engine. (the Referee checked on his computer the number that is on my header to be sure)

Once the visual check is done, they do a smog check (on the rollers).

If you pass, they apply on your car a sticker stating that the car is legal and future smog checks should be run as if the car is a GSR. In other words, you never have to go back to the Referee again.

If you were pulled over by the police and they questioned the engine, all you have to do is show them the sticker.

It's not hard to do and feels REAL good once done.

Here is a tip; Act professionally and don't try to "sneak" anything past them! They do this for a living and I'd bet that they have seen just about every trick ever thought of.

Another thing to do is have a "pre-check" done at a standard smog check station. Make it clear with them that you do NOT want it hooked up to the DMV system. By doing this, you will have a feeling that the emissions are within a reasonable range.

Wes Vann

I will say prayers for all of you peeps that have to go through this stuff every year or whatever time frame. I live in Arkansas where there are no emission laws. (thank you Jesus thank you Lord, thank you Jesus thank you Lord!)

Originally posted by Wes V@Sep 14 2004, 05:39 PM
The quick answer is "Yes". I have an 89 Civic hatchback and have gotten the B18C installation through all the Referee requirements. (ya, I live in California) Here is what you will be facing;

When you go to register the car they will require you to show a smog certificate unless the prior owner had recently done such (this is only valid for a short amount of time, like a month or two).

When you go to a smog check station, they will notice the swapped engine and tell you that you have to go to a State Referee station to get the installation "certified".

You have to call the state and set up an appointment to take your car in for review.

At the Referee station, they will verify that the engine is the same year as the car, or newer. All smog equipment for the newer engine must be installed and working. It must be USDM specification smog stuff.

If you have an item like an aftermarket exhaust manifold (I've got a DC sport header), it has to have a California CARB certification for it and it has to be for the year of the engine. (the Referee checked on his computer the number that is on my header to be sure)

Once the visual check is done, they do a smog check (on the rollers).

If you pass, they apply on your car a sticker stating that the car is legal and future smog checks should be run as if the car is a GSR. In other words, you never have to go back to the Referee again.

If you were pulled over by the police and they questioned the engine, all you have to do is show them the sticker.

It's not hard to do and feels REAL good once done.

Here is a tip; Act professionally and don't try to "sneak" anything past them! They do this for a living and I'd bet that they have seen just about every trick ever thought of.

Another thing to do is have a "pre-check" done at a standard smog check station. Make it clear with them that you do NOT want it hooked up to the DMV system. By doing this, you will have a feeling that the emissions are within a reasonable range.

Wes Vann
[post=390276]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for all the help...sounds fairly easy.

Back