IM new to the honda world EG D16z6 need help!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brettfessler

Soo as the title says im new to the honda world. heres where i am, i found this car (1992 EG SI) picked it up with 70k on it no rust no scratches for 4000. i feel like i got a steal... but down to buisness where do i start, it has a Ractive 4-2 header, autozone intake, engine ground kit, cheap ass short throw, oem cat back, i think i want to make it dohc. i have some money but not alot. i want it to be NA and lay down about 240 to the wheels i know this doesnt happen over night but i want to get this thing going( ran a 15.2 at import wars tonight) pathetic but not bad for stock. i have a junk yard by me that has plenty of hondas and acuras so if i can get it from the junk yard let me know what to look for and also have acess to a machine shop so JUST PLZ SOME ONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THIS THING DOHC!!!

with only 70K miles on the motor, a decent Turbo setup will land you an easy 220hp, which IMO is plenty for a car of that weight and size.

True as well, but he said he wanted to make it a dual cam..

I think im going to go with a home made turbo kit for now, on the z6 and then build up a b16c that my buddy is letting me have, build it thru the winter, im going to get a 14g turbo, turbo header, ebay intercooler and some other shit, just going to push 8 lbs of boost, i think that will get it going, do i need to do any special tuning or anything when i turbo it? and should i worry about rings or pistons at 8lbs?

Definitely get some kind of tuning.. but first things first do a compression and leakdown test on the engine that's in there before you turbo it. If that checks out ok then you're probably safe to run some boost as long as you have it tuned. There are a lot of tuning options out there for OBD1, so go read up on that for awhile so you understand how important it is..

i have read a whole bunch on tuning like handata, spoon and a shit load of P?? , cant i just buy a handheld tuner or should i take it to the local speed shop and have them do it for $400? im sooo lost i was a mazda guy, i go from cant finding the parts to having an option i guess its overwelming... tell me a good option without spending a ton of money. thanks.

240 is a lot at the wheels, to keep it on a fairly low budget I would go with a B16 and see how you like it, and if you still need more you can just boost it. Depending on what kind of turbo you go with it will pull some pretty good numbers, this is what im gonna be doing in the next month or so. But like everyone else said tuning is very important...

I like Hondata personally, but ultimately you want to get what the tuners in your area are used to using because that is the most important.. no sense in buying something that nobody near you is capable of tuning.

Best option if you just want to get started safely would be an engine swap, then you don't have to worry about tuning anything or blowing up your motor.. you can just swap in the engine and go have fun until you need more power. You can always add a turbo later..

edit: crome is also a good one I forgot about that and it's cheaper..

Honestly, with only 70K miles, again, I wouldn't bother swapping, if the engine checks out I'd just boost it and stop there. despite that you were given that B16, It will require alot of labor and parts, and some pretty serious tools to do the swap *Axels, Transmission if you don't already have it, Wiring, as well as all the money you'll be investing in rebuilding the Twin Cam.

ok sooo after a long time of reading into this.. i got a 14g turbo with no play, got the turbo manifold from a friend and going to buy a ebay intercooler, i got a turbo oil pan. going to do this next weekend but need a cheap way to get this thing tuned......what is the easiest and fastest way to do this???? just go to the local speed shop and have them dyno tune it or buy a handheld tuner????? im sooo confused when it comes to electrical... i know how to wire an uncut ecu but i cant figure out this tuning issue.

Pherable.net Send your ECU to him, Tell him what your mods are going to be, he will socket it, chip it and give it a basemap so you can drive safely untill you get tuned.

Back