Im pretty much up the creek without a paddle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
Until July i have never got a speeding ticket. July 17th i get one for doing 83 in a 55. I only hit 78 but the cop was screwing me badly and it was at 1 a.m. I think he got the guy next to me and pulled me over. Then August i get a 58 in a 35. There was a 55 mph sign a half mile up the road and i sped up. Well the speed limit was 35 until i hit the sign and i got caught and i didnt know it. So there is my first 2 tickets in 4.9 years of driving. Then in September i got a 57 in a 35 rushing to the hospital to get to my mother who was rushed to the emergency room for her diabeaties. Now i go to court, october 17th, and 19th in 2 different counties for the 2 tickets in the 35 mph speed zones. The first ticket (97 in a 55) i go to court for in december. All 2 points and 140 dollar fines each :cry:

Now here is my questions,
1. What do you think my odds are of getting off of all points?
2. When i go to court can i request to settle out of court?
3. When i go to court can i request driver improvement?
4. Should i await the outcome of my first 2 trails and try to postpone my last trial if i get pbj till it is over?
5. If i get points will they erase when i turn 21 on november 14th?
6. What was your insurance increase for a point if you have had one?

and i dont wanna hear all the flaming... " well you shouldnt have been speeding in the first place. " :blah: because i have a stock civic hatch with no intentions on racing anyone, driving with a lead foot or speeding for no apparent reason. What is done is done and i will owe up to it but i am just trying to predict the outcome. I know a police officer in the family and he said i shouldnt worry. The cop probably will not show for the last ticket due to it was a state trooper. Also that i should get probation twice for my first 2 trials because the trail dates are next to each other basically, or i might be lucky and end up with a point tops if the trooper does show. I will be pleading guilty with an explanation if the officer does show and innocent if he doesnt. :ph34r:

For the first two, I highly doubt you'll get off - although due to your clean driving record prior to the offenses, you could ask for a road safety class instead of points to your insurence. As for the hosptial story, I think you might get off on that one - just give them a sob story. I'm sure the magistrate isn't heartless.

Oh, and buy a radar detector. :mrgreen:

Good luck dude.

yeah it does suck that i have all this against me. But the first 2 offenses have been 2 hour+ drives. So i was on the road for a little bit of time so i may have gotten a little more comfortable and started to speed up. But they are drives that i do all the time.

if you go to court and plead guilty, whats the point of going to court?

ALWAYS plead innocent.

the worst that can happen, is they make you pay the damn fine anyway.

werd...sometimes the state drops the case because of circumstance... or get a lawyer

DEFERRED ADJUDICATION

learn it, live it, love it.

It generally costs twice as much, but no "points" are assessed and it never shows on your record. Unlike defensive driving.. the ticket shows on the record, but it also shows that you took DD to take care of it.

You will pay more at the get-go but you will save in the long run on your insurance.

They will generally put you on a "probation" period, each county is different. Usually around 30 days probation, although I've gone up to 90 days before.. DO NOT speed in that county during the 30 days, or you are totally fucked, because they will charge you with the old ticket plus the new one.

Just ask the judge/secretary "Can I get deferred adjudication?" 90% of the courts will do it.

I've had 40+ speeding tickets. Only 2 currently showing on my record.

always plead not guilty, they usually bargain with you, or just drop it...
they just want the court fees, and the ticket justifies their payroll

it won't get dropped completely, but to failure to obey a traffic controlling device
or a lower excessive speed violation

and BRING something from the hospital to the court room
trust me on this one

they hear so many fucking sob stories every damn day, bring the hospital discharge papers, or receipt and show the judge that your mother was indeed in the hospital so you had a REAL reason, not just a sob story...

IMO pleading not guilty is the wrong thing to do. ive been to court for tickets like 4 times and plead guilty everytime. im my experience you pleading not guilty, to them means you say you werent speeding. you obviously were, and they will get pissed that you are lying to them. I say plead guilty and hope for the best. but it depends on the judge, how he is that day, etc. you will notice, pretty much everyone in there will be pleading guilty unless its some special case or something. the judges dont want to be there, they will want to get through everyone as fast as possible, in most cases they are willing to drop speeds, and give you less or no points and less fines. but like i said its all dependent on the judge. you dont want to waste his time with a not guilty plea, he will just be pissed. in some cases you can offer a "guilty with explaination" plea where you explain the cercumstances. its these instances where you have the best chance of getting the speed/charge reduced.

me personally ive had both ends of the spectrum:

1. ticket for 41 in 25. my speedo was legitimately broken, cable snapped. i told this to the cop, he wrote me up a repair order and still gave me a ticket. i go to court with documentation proving my speedo was broken (recipt from mechanic) i offered this to the judge to try and get off and frankly he didnt care and didnt even look at it. he still gave me one point and the fine of like 75 bucks. this was in Baltimore.

2. ticket for 83 in a 65. cop was a nice guy, dropped my speed to 74. go to court, plead guilty, judge asks me if i had any tickets within the last 3 years, i say yes 2 years ago. he says he wont give me probation, because of prior tickets, but will drop my speed and fine. he offeres to drop my speed to 64, then realizes that would mean i wasnt speeding. he didnt realize the cop had already reduced my speed (i guess the cop usually makes a note of this) judge then gives me 1 day probation and 35 dollar fine. this was in garret county (middle of no where western MD)

really all you can do is go, plead guilty, offer your explaination and hope for the best.

Quoted post[/post]]
IMO pleading not guilty is the wrong thing to do. ive been to court for tickets like 4 times and plead guilty everytime.
hmm so guilty with an explanation +1
i know since ian and I both loved in maryand this may work, but saying it is my fault is like... give me the 2 points and take my 140 dollars.

Quoted post[/post]]
DEFERRED ADJUDICATION
explain this alittle more... and when do i ask? When i sign in at court with the state processecutor (sp) or when i say i am guily or not guily... " I plead not guilty with deferred adjudication" ???

Quoted post[/post]]
always plead not guilty, they usually bargain with you, or just drop it...
not guity +1, well then the cop just shows his radar print out and proves me wrong....? I dont wanna look like an ass out there. But it seems logical.

Quoted post[/post]]
if you go to court and plead guilty, whats the point of going to court?
ALWAYS plead innocent.
the worst that can happen, is they make you pay the damn fine anyway.
exactly what i stated above... so not guilty +2... do you have expeirence with this brian?

The deffered adjuction basically drops the moving violation charges with points down to a violation that will not go on your record, but will cost you twice the cost of the ticket and court fees, or if you're in a state like New Jersey that has a surcharge on all cases that involve reducing points you get hit with the surcharge (New Jersey is $250), cost of the ticket, and cost of court fees.

For the one ticket I had, I wound up paying $413. It was a 4 point speeding ticket (65mph in 50mph) that was reduced down to a 2 point careless driving ticket originally. Took my lawyer with me, plead the ticket down, and walked out of there with my butt hurting. The lawyer even though it was only a $15 fee provided through work, wasn't worth the money or the time, he didn't do anything for me that I wouldn't have already done myself, infact it probably pissed the judge off more that I had a lawyer with me.

The name of the infraction itself escapes me now, but for $413 I should remember the name of the violation vividly.

$413 > $1300 on insurance over 3 years.

Lawyer told me, "don't plead not guilty, they'll get really nasty and provide documentation and may give you the original ticket before it was reduced."

^
awesome.. good info. I am hoping the cop will not show for one of them. My good friend went to court 7 times and the police officer didnt show 3 out of 7 times. So i hope my chances are like that. The score is not guilty = 2 , guilty with an explanation = 2 ... I am clueless in this matter. But i have one more question that has arised... if i get PBJ in one county, is that only for that county or the whole state? So is there a possibility i could get 3 PBJs in 3 different counties?

A fellow marylander here.

Go to court and if the cop doesnt show. NOT GUILTY! you wil walk with paying ZERO court fees and get zero points

however, if the cop shows you will say I'm guilty. If he ask you why just tell him you had no reason you were just driving faster then you should have. in other words tell him the truth.

he will pull up your driving record and ask if you've had any moving violations in the last 2 years and if so what for. for the first ticket tell him No sir I have not. he will say pay the court fee here's PBJ.

The 2nd time you go, do the same thing. if the officer doesnt show tell them you're not guilty. however if he's there once again just tell them you were driving faster then you should have been and you have no excuse for it. he will ask you if you've had any moving violations in the last 2 years. at this point DO NOT LIE tell him yes I have. he will have your record in front of him. he will say welp you got a ticket X many days ago so I Can't do jack for you. pay the fine and points or he might drop the fine some or maybe even the points.

Do yourself a fav and don't bring your mom into this. sure you had to rush her to ER however, you shouldnt have done that you endangered everyones lives who were out driving that day. you should have called an EMT or police officer to help you.... I put money on it he would tell you that.

BTW getting off with zero points and only a court fee if you have no tickets in the last 2 years is an Anne Arundel county thing. always happens that way.

One thing you MIGHT I can't push that (MIGHT) enough. beable to do is say no sir I havnt had any tickets in the last 2 years for both judges. Your ticket isnt on your record till the judge says guilty. so being that they are 2 days apart they MIGHT not show up on your driving record.

Wanna gamble?

This makes sense... damn jeff you are smart :) One is in easton, and the other is in towson. I am hoping this will work out well. If i can get through wednesday i will be fine. I dont mind paying the ticket fee and court costs... anything to not get the full 4 points.

Quoted post[/post]]
Until July i have never got a speeding ticket. July 17th i get one for doing 83 in a 55. I only hit 78 but the cop was screwing me badly and it was at 1 a.m. I think he got the guy next to me and pulled me over. Then August i get a 58 in a 35. There was a 55 mph sign a half mile up the road and i sped up. Well the speed limit was 35 until i hit the sign and i got caught and i didnt know it. So there is my first 2 tickets in 4.9 years of driving. Then in September i got a 57 in a 35 rushing to the hospital to get to my mother who was rushed to the emergency room for her diabeaties. Now i go to court, october 17th, and 19th in 2 different counties for the 2 tickets in the 35 mph speed zones. The first ticket (97 in a 55) i go to court for in december. All 2 points and 140 dollar fines each :cry:

Now here is my questions,
1. What do you think my odds are of getting off of all points?
2. When i go to court can i request to settle out of court?
3. When i go to court can i request driver improvement?
4. Should i await the outcome of my first 2 trails and try to postpone my last trial if i get pbj till it is over?
5. If i get points will they erase when i turn 21 on november 14th?
6. What was your insurance increase for a point if you have had one?

and i dont wanna hear all the flaming... " well you shouldnt have been speeding in the first place. " :blah: because i have a stock civic hatch with no intentions on racing anyone, driving with a lead foot or speeding for no apparent reason. What is done is done and i will owe up to it but i am just trying to predict the outcome. I know a police officer in the family and he said i shouldnt worry. The cop probably will not show for the last ticket due to it was a state trooper. Also that i should get probation twice for my first 2 trials because the trail dates are next to each other basically, or i might be lucky and end up with a point tops if the trooper does show. I will be pleading guilty with an explanation if the officer does show and innocent if he doesnt. :ph34r:
well in cali you can take traffic school twice in like 3yrs in the same county. so you have all your points off your record there if its anything like here. you might be able to get off or reduce the ticket of the one you rushed to the hospital for...depending on how you state your story. you send your ticket in or go to the front office of the court and say you want to plea not guilty if you want to contest the tickets or no plea if you want to just give your explenation in court, basically saying your guilty but i did it because of this...you can also contest the one with the 50 mile hr sign being up ahead if there was no traffic and you didnt endanger anyones life. it all depends on how road conditions are,traffic, visibility and so forth. in cali the basic speed law states that on any highway you can go a max speed of 50mph due to the conditions i stated even if the posted speed limit is lower ...the lower speed limit is called a suggested speed limit. i know all this cuz ive beaten two of them.if you have questions i can help you out my uncle is a captain in sacramento for the highway patrol so i kinda get info from him.

Quoted post[/post]]
^
awesome.. good info. I am hoping the cop will not show for one of them. My good friend went to court 7 times and the police officer didnt show 3 out of 7 times. So i hope my chances are like that. The score is not guilty = 2 , guilty with an explanation = 2 ... I am clueless in this matter. But i have one more question that has arised... if i get PBJ in one county, is that only for that county or the whole state? So is there a possibility i could get 3 PBJs in 3 different counties?

I've heard of police officers missing court appearances but from the mouth of a police officer friend that worked out at my gym, "they only schedule us for one or two court dates a month so we don't ever have to miss them, if something were to happen where I were going to miss the trial, I would call the judge and ask for the trial to be rescheduled."

you got lucky, dont count on it for the next few, lol. but congrats on getting out of a ticket :)

Welp... i got a serving of PBJ :) my favorite. 101 dollars in total fines ( not 165.50 like i planned on. ) but hey... still no points :) but noone seems to care so i will just stop posting.

Back