I'm retarded...help explain to me what a 'result' is in dice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
OK, so I accidentally fell asleep at like 7pm, and now I'm wide the fuck awake with nothing to do. I'm watching shit on YouTube, and I came across this 'Scam School' show or whatever. I've only watched one or two 'episodes', so I'm not sure if I'm a 'fan' of it or not...but I'm stuck on this one - As in I haven't watched the whole thing yet, because I don't quite understand what's going on.

Here's the video:
The Trick That Stumped Bill Gates?! - Scam School - YouTube

This is what's stumping me: 'Brian can tell you the result of any roll of the dice'. He's rolling the dice, saying the number of dots on the outside of the threes and fives, and then the people are going 'hmmm' and 'oohhhhh' and staring at the dice...what the fuck are they trying to figure out???

What the fuck is a 'result' of the roll of the dice? My first instinct would be the total, but the numbers he's giving isn't the total of the dice...I did some googling and can't figure it out.

I looked up the Wikipedia page for 'Petals Around The Rose', and came up with this:
Petals Around the Rose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if I'm understanding correctly, 'the result of the roll of the dice' is the sum of the dots on the outside of the 3 and the 5? What's the trick there?

I can't for the life of me comprehend where the hard part is...how is adding the dots on the outside of the 3 and 5 a 'trick' to getting 'the result' of the dice if that's the only way to get 'the result'??? What is 'the result' applicable to, and why the fuck does it matter?

Is the 'challenge' supposed to be that he rolls the dice and gives you a number, and you have to figure out how the way that the numbers on the dice correspond to the number he gave you? How is that even a trick? What's the value a number that you only know if you already know how the 'trick' is supposed to work?

Am I completely missing the 'trick' here?? I haven't watched the whole video, I like watching stuff like this and figuring it out before they tell you...but I can't even figure out what I'm supposed to be trying to figure out!

Last edited:
i honestly dont see what your confused about? lol it seems pretty straight forword

edit: ok i didnt read your whole post ha ha...i think its just the fun of playing the game with people who dont know it and getting them to try and figure it out. i dont think its so much as a trick as a drinking game lol

Last edited:
A 5=4 and a 3=2. That's all they are trying to add up. So if there is no 5 or 3 the answer is 0

exactly

there is no "trick" to it... the challenge is: without knowing the rules, trying to figure out what the process/pattern is for determining the final number... with alcohol involved that could be easier or more difficult

once you figure out or find out how the number is determined then there is no longer any challenge at all... it becomes simple counting... so at that point your goal is to get other people involved to see how long it takes them to figure it out or get frustrated and flip the table over
tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg

I caught that the first time they showed it before I looked up the rules or finished the video...but that's it? That's the extent of the trick?

There's no significance of the number other than that??

I was trying to come up with something other than that...

What a stupid fuckin' "trick"

Back