i'm thinking about buying a gun

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
I've been looking at getting a gun that i can use for target shooting, use as a sidearm for camping/ hunting, and possibly personal protection.

the gun i have decided on is the springfield armory XD-40. just looking for any opinions or comments.

Last edited:
i don't know a damn thing about guns.... but from what I know, a hunting gun is probably not going to serve dual purpose with a personal protection gun...

no not for hunting, just in case. i'm not a hunter but a bunch of my friends are and they always want me to come along.

i just want something that i could shoot if a cougar is charging at me. so i would only use it in times of emergency.

and yes there are cougars in the north cascades and yes i have seen them.

springfield is a good gun, but can be high priced. i like the ruger myself or the sig

my friend said he can get me the hookup for $400

sig's are sweet, but i don't really like the ruger.

i'd love to get a para, or a USP but those are very pricey.

i cant remeber what modle springfield it was but the one ive always liked the metal parts of the gun was dark green

What do some of the laws look like up in that area ?

idk what you mean?

as far as i know you have to have a concealed weapons permit to have the gun in your car and you can't keep it loaded.

what else are you asking?

1911? HK USP? That's my personal favorite. I know a few people with the Smith SW40VE's too. If you're looking for something bigger, 480 Ruger or .50AE Desert Eagle, and the .45-70 revolvers or .460 (like Magnum Research's) are good choices.

The Springfield is an awesome gun. Have you shot a .40 caliber pistol? They do have a surprisingly snap for a recoil, however, if you're experienced it's nothing to worry about. I have shot the Springfield XD-45 and it's a very solid smooth operating pistol. Overall, the Springfield is a good choice, however, you may want to take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P (stands for Military and Police). This gun is also a great choice and comes with 3 optional grips for the handle. You may want to know that any Springfield (besides the .45 caliber) that was made prior (I believe) March 2005 is not coated in the melonite (rust protection) coating. ALL of the M&P's are, however, the Springfield offers rust protection in their warranty and the gun also has features I like over the M&P, such as the trigger safety and rear grip safety. It also has a notch on the slide that indicates when a round is chambered. This website will tell you anything you ever need to know about the XD:
XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source! - Powered by vBulletin

Anyway, good luck on the purchase!

idk what you mean?

as far as i know you have to have a concealed weapons permit to have the gun in your car and you can't keep it loaded.

what else are you asking?

I think you're beginning your journey into handgun ownership on the wrong foot. Talk to the gun trainers, find out what's best for you. Concealment, retention, etc.

Never carry a gun "in your car". Don't be stupid. Not saying that you said you would, but no state allows you to "Carry a gun in your car" when it's a licenced handgun.

I'm talking about something. Do you even know the process of getting a pistol permit in your area ?

Never carry a gun "in your car". Don't be stupid. Not saying that you said you would, but no state allows you to "Carry a gun in your car" when it's a licenced handgun.

Alaska Does. You're not required to register them, although dealers are required to register new sales. If you get pulled over you just tell the officer "There's a loaded weapon in the vehicle" and he usually replies with something like "OK, don't touch it or I'll shoot you"

Gun Laws
Washington Laws for fire arms and concealed weapons permits

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

if you read further into the laws for washington you don't have to have a license to purchase a pistol you just have to be 21.

Also you don't need a permit for concealed carry in Alaska. The only people who aren't allowed to carry weapons are enlisted military :lmao:

Back