Im torn boys

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaMoCo

I know the topic sounds kinda lame, "gee lets see b16 or b18c5 hard choice", but this is what im meaning by this, im tired of fucken around with these D-series motors, Ive put together all kinds of d-series and there just isnt any power from these, currently i just put a mini me in my 93 civic cx here's the specs:
88-91 sohc ZC bottom end, (basically the same as a d16a6)-
ported usdm d16z6 head 3 angle valve job-
po8 jdm d15b vtec cam-
that sounds like it would be a pretty potent motor and it is for a d series, i mean i had the d15b vtec(130) in there before and i noticed a huge difference, basically to sum this up quick the 1.5 liter jdm sohc vtec puts out 130 and the usdm 1.6 vtec puts out 125 is because of the po8 cam is much stronger so look at it like this I took the 130 hp 1.5 stroked it to a 1.6, port and polished the head, and bumped the compression from 9.2:1 to 10.2:1 so im guessing this motor is putting at least 140 crank to at most 150 crank horsepower. Basically im telling you all this cause i want you guys to have a better understanding of where im coming from. my set up basically consits of AEM CAI, stock d16z6 header, 2 1/4 catback with a stock d16z6 muffler (got a ticket), and i ran against a 88 crx Si with a DOHC ZC with I/H/E and i beat him by about 4 or 5 cars.
Now all that above is fine and dandy exept that i still cant touch a stock b16, so this is why i have made the decision that i have to go B, so here is my dillema, i have about 1700 bucks saved up so i could put a B16 in pretty soon, but do i wanna just have a b16, or i wanna keep saving and go with a b18c5 the reason it is between those two is because if i go with the b16 set up, ill just build whatever B i need to be happy with, so theres no point in going for an inbetween motor, but i have to sacrifice reliability, if i go with a b18c5 id have the best of about everything with the reliability of a stock motor, but thats alot of money and alot of time to save it up so....

If i put the b16 in im just gonna be another dude with a b16 in his car. and to get any power out of it im gonna have to build a mean bottom end with cams, and not have any reliability

If i go with a b18c5, id get mad showmanship props, a 200hp motor with the bone stock reliability, the best b series tranny available, but its gonna take me 4 times as long to save up

give me some of your opinions and maybe personal experinces with the b18c5 if you have some, thanks for taking the time to read my post, all opinions are completly welcome
thanks
Gary

You didn't build the D blocks aggressively enough...

Get the B18C5, but forget about what other people think and "being just another guy with a B16." You can't be original. Just do what makes you happy. If you want the B16, go for it.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 1 2004, 06:57 PM
You didn't build the D blocks aggressively enough...

Get the B18C5, but forget about what other people think and "being just another guy with a B16." You can't be original. Just do what makes you happy. If you want the B16, go for it.

:werd: The best advice anyone can give you!

all i will say is if you think you can swing the c5 and your car runs now i would wait, it will be so much more sweet ;)

i didn't read all of your post but i did read the first reply. i posted this a little while back. The basic idea is that pay less for a b16 w/forged internals than a stock b18c5.

b16, no contest. if your going to make it a drag car you'll probable end up changing all the internals. get sleeves that bore it out to a 1.8 w/forged pistons, rods, and whatnot. here i'll make a list.

B16A2-$1800
Sleeves (Darton 84mm)-$420
Rods (Eagle)-$370
Pistons (JE Pistons 84mm Hi-Comp 12.5:1)- $440
(CP Pistons 84mm Lo-Comp 9.1:1)- $449
Piston Rings- $100
Wrist Pins- $100
Total- $3239 not bad for a bullet proof bottom end

all part from raceeng.com

and all for less than an H22, B18C5, and B16B.

for the rest for head package (Headwork package with dual springs, titanium retainers, (nitride) stainless steel valves) $1450 from HERE, and $1700 custom turbo (20lb).

for a grand total of $6389 easily an 11sec Honda. and yes i know i forgot some stuff like axles, belt, itm, cams, ect... but thats the basic.

thanks for the replies guys...

Calesta- yea i know i didnt build up that much, but basically i just didnt want to put all that much money into the d series, its not really worth it to me, i figure if your gonna spend cash fully build a motor it might as well be a b-series

the "another guy with a B16" comment wasnt about appearance or trying to be original, i just meant speed wise, its just that the b16 are so common now, at least half the civics at the strip have them swapped in i mean its almost to the point where the b16 isnt a special swap anymore, its like the ZC for the EF's were 5 or 6 years ago.

Udt- thats what im totally thinking, i mean the b16 is a fun motor no doubt, but i can only imagine how a B18c5 pulls

Ef9-thanks for the info on the builds, but see this is exactly where im undecided on, im gonna be transfering schools soon and its a 50 mile commute, and im kinda sketchin about building a race motor with aftermarket parts, the b18c5 would be very fast and have the complete reliability of a stock motor and imagine a b18c5 boostin 7-8 safe pounds runnin off a hondata system, that would be a very quick reliable motor in a 2050 pound car.

ahh godd im gonna just keep saving and think,

does anyone have the experience of riding in a civic with a B18c5??

I wouldn't even think about a 12.5 CR bottom end without upgrading the cams. The words Detonate and retard come to mind...

I rode around in my friends ITR the other day, if you can swing it, get the B18C5, it is a very nice motor, and the extra .2L makes a big difference over the B16A in the lower RPMs.

b16a = overrated IMO. i've been in near stock d-series cars that pull like them.

b18c or c5 gets my vote

Why don't you just boost the single cam? Its ridiculous building a D series motor for an All Motor car anyway, if you plan on going fast w/ a D series, you have to boost it.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jan 2 2004, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't even think about a 12.5 CR bottom end without upgrading the cams. The words Detonate and retard come to mind...

Nah, it works just fine. :lol:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 2 2004, 07:09 AM
b16a = overrated IMO. i've been in near stock d-series cars that pull like them.

you're kidding right? i've had 2 cars with B16's and one with D, been in countless other D's... there is a huge difference

lets see here: Bisi ran 12's';11's;10's with his sohc D series.

point is you can run fast with a socher, just takes research, and like Cal said - a more aggressive build.

Go with ANY B18 motor, Non-vtec b18s have loads of potential, at least more than a d series on a budget. I'm not a fan of the b16, I think they are overratted and "undertorqued". the extra 10-20 lbs of torque from a b18 makes a big difference. But if I had to choose between a d series and a b16, i'd go with the b16. Any motor can be reliable if it's built right.

I am in for a type R

CIVIC TYPE R OR ITR DEPENDS ON THE PRICE.

if you can find a CTR FOR under 3G complete go for it thats what I did :D

make sure it has LSD :D

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 4 2004, 03:07 PM-->
Originally posted by B16@Jan 2 2004, 06:18 PM
pissedoffsol
@Jan 2 2004, 07:09 AM
b16a = overrated IMO.  i've been in near stock d-series cars that pull like them.

you're kidding right? i've had 2 cars with B16's and one with D, been in countless other D's... there is a huge difference

Totally agreed.

i dunno man... the b16 just doesn't impress me.

bill's LS-hatch walked all over b16 hatches...
my del sol was just a couple cars behind some dude's sir crx...

personal experince i guess... i wouldn't buy one :) but thats me

Back