Immortality

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Just saw this article on yahoo, kinda interesting. Scientists are proposing the idea of living to 140 years or so and contimplating the ratifications on society, the workplace and supporting people that live that long. What do you guys think?

Link

Then we'd have to work until we're 100.
I would shoot myself in the face before I work 1 day after I turn 60.

I had a hella-smart physics teacher in high school. Like 3 Dr. degrees, who said that a human body can live to about 140 without any real stresses or health problems. So I can see this being possible. I don't know how many people would have money and time to try it.

If we reproduced like civil beings it wouldn't be an issue. None of this would be an issue. Instead we have these fertility assholes out there getting knocked up with 9 or more test tube babies and then refusing to abort because of something they think God owes them. It's all these 3, 4, 6, 12 kid familes that fuck things up.

On the other hand, I would work until I was 100. I may have to anyway... thanks babyboomer assholes and career welfare families.

In today’s world, for example, a couple in their 60s who are stuck in a loveless but tolerable marriage might decide to stay together for the remaining 15 to 20 years of their lives out of inertia or familiarity. But if that same couple knew they might have to suffer each other's company for another 60 or 80 years, their choice might be different.
exactly why i won't ever get married.

Advocates of anti-aging research say that working longer might not be such a bad thing. With skilled workers remaining in the workforce longer, economic productivity would go up. And if people got bored with their jobs, they could switch careers.
no, old people will still be undercut by those who are younger and twice as productive. wages will be decreased because there will be more people in the job market. this would be a social disaster.

Hackler points out that the same problem could apply to politics. Many elected officials have term limits that prevent them from amassing too much power. But what about federal judges, who are appointed for life?
our government is already like this. we have only been a united country since 1864 when the civil war was over. we are infants compared to powers like china and the other eastern countries. we have supreme court justices that are in position for 30 years. that's 1/5 of the existance of our country.

I don't see any benefits of living past 80. they would have to alter the aging process so drastically that 100 would be the new 60. the new retiring point. i think this is so far fetched right now because people think of the average 100 year old person and how active they are. we will have to get a whole new concept of aging in society.

Yes it would be nice. but i really dont' want to live past 80 right now, unless 80 is the new 50 and i would still be able to function and LOOK like i was 50. but otherwise, i don't want to be 140 years old all wrinkly and impotent with a pouch on my hip for a bladder. no thank you.

Quoted post[/post]]
On the other hand, I would work until I was 100. I may have to anyway... thanks babyboomer assholes and career welfare families.

exactly, if your not making $50K+ (AT LEAST) right now and madly investing in your retirment get comfortable, your not leaving the workforce anytime soon

I believe that Space will give us the answers to work, life and retirement. Work is not something to be afraid of anymore - your goal shouldn't be "I want tons of money and to stay home all day". That attitude won't get us off this fucking rock.

Sooner, I hope, the work-day will be a 25 hour thing that integrates well with your life. If it's not, then Space will be something that will be military (Speaking of working all day long). Even now, in our world, the boss always works - from the bathroom on the Blackberry to taking faxes on the beach. It happens, work doens't slow. And the achievers are the ones that stop bitching and instead find a way to integrate it into their lives.

I would love to see you do my job for 25 hours straight...hell, I bet you couldn't do it for 8 hours straight. and let alone, do it 7 days a week.

I say this, because I only work 6.5 hours, and some nights...there is too much work and I can't even have a break.....and when I get home on those nights....my ass passes out on the couch. Hell, I'd die if I had to do it 8 hours....every day for 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

as for being immortal...I am.

I've been thru too many car wrecks, been thru countless huricanes and typhoons, earthquakes, tornados, living near Bridgeport, and how many close calls I've had while working on cars and planes...Somebody up there likes me :wink: I'm still amazed that I made it to 34 years old. :ph34r:

Yeah, I mean basically, you would have a room setup off to the side of the hangar. That room would have all of the amenities, and you would work on your project until you decide it's time to quit (With responsibility given to the following: The job is done in such a way you don't lose your job (and have to move on both in job and home) and that you can stand by it enough to return business).

Imagine staying at college. Dorms would be a little better, but not substantially. Car, yard, space, blah blah - Look around you, it's all going away anyway.

There is a company here in Spokane, Itron is its name. They base there programmers around the idea Cel is talkin about. The programmers make there own hours, they come in when they want and leave when they want. Most of them have a cot or sleeping bag in there cube. When big projects get to crunch time they live at work. They are still held to a very high standared but there work is alittle more integrated with there every day life.

Quoted post[/post]]
There is a company here in Spokane, Itron is its name. They base there programmers around the idea Cel is talkin about. The programmers make there own hours, they come in when they want and leave when they want. Most of them have a cot or sleeping bag in there cube. When big projects get to crunch time they live at work. They are still held to a very high standared but there work is alittle more integrated with there every day life.
sounds like architecture or most design schools

most people over the age of 90 our worthless leeches on society as it is, why the fuck would i want people to live to 140?

there would have to be some amazing advances in medicine and the way we age other wise some people will spend half of that 140 years in a vegetative state. most people start losing functions in the 60's much less the 80's and up.

Quoted post[/post]]
most people over the age of 90 our worthless leeches on society as it is, why the fuck would i want people to live to 140?

there would have to be some amazing advances in medicine and the way we age other wise some people will spend half of that 140 years in a vegetative state. most people start losing functions in the 60's much less the 80's and up.

The article was saying that it would slow down the aging process, we would stay younger longer, which is fine by me. I would work two jobs with as many hours as possible, invest it all until the age of 80 or 90, and then spend the good life until 140 or so, if I didn't shoot myself because of all the work or get married.

Quoted post[/post]]

sounds like my job, minus the own hours, the cot, the sleeping bag, and the cube.

Back