importance of gapping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
hey im just wondering if you need to gap the denso platinum spark plugs. im not positive and the people at autozone told me i had to gap denso irridiums (which come pre-gapped) so i dunno how much i trust them. they told me to gap them to .050 but i dont know if i have to or not. whats the importance of gapping spark plugs? is it absolutely neccessary?

if it didnt mean anything why would it exist..if your not sure..just make sure the gap is correct anyway..it only takes a few minutes..

yea i know, i just dont wanna mess up the plugs, because i know that if you try to gap the irridiums you will mess them up since the little electrode this is less then half a millimeter in diameter.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Sep 14 2003, 09:21 AM
hey im just wondering if you need to gap the denso platinum spark plugs. im not positive and the people at autozone told me i had to gap denso irridiums (which come pre-gapped) so i dunno how much i trust them. they told me to gap them to .050 but i dont know if i have to or not. whats the importance of gapping spark plugs? is it absolutely neccessary?

Its important to gap spark plus in order to achieve a even spark. For example, if cylinder one plug is at .040 and cylinder 4 is at .060 the spark on 1 will be brighter and more intense than the spark on cylinder 4 because of the larger gap. Sometimes, if the gap is off, the car can run weak or shake. So buy a spark plug gapper and gap them to specs, its real easy.

jus making sure i got it down since i never really gapped them before, i got that little round gapping tool thing, i just put that between the electrode and the ground part and just turn it until its at the right specs right?

ok i got it all taken care of, got the new plugs (gapped this time) and replaced cap and rotor (finally found one) and it runs a lot better now. but when i did the cap and rotor, inside the distributor on the little guard covering the "guts" it said p73. is it a type r distributor? the head is gsr, i know becasue it says p72. just thought it was a little weird, but oh well, whatever works right?, lol. and one more thing, im about to replace the fuel filter and the people at autozone said i should get a pcv valve too, so i did, 3 bucks isnt a big deal, but i dont know if i got the right one. i got it for the car, not the engine. should i have gotten it for the engine? where is the pcv valve located? my car is a 91 CRX si, engine is 94 B18C1. thanks.

:doh: nevermind what i wrote up here regarding the PCV valve - see pissedoffsol's post below...

just my .02 cents :)

a word of advice... dont ever trust what the people at those big chain auto stores tell you. one guy told me the apc racing seat i bought should "bolt right into a civic". now that was a good one!! another guy told me that i should remove my spark plug wires EVERYDAY or i will not be able to remove them when the time comes to change them! now there's some good tech advice!! :lol:

gabe, i think you are confusing the breather line with the pcv system.

the pcv comes out from the back of the block and up into the intake manifold (usually) and through the the pcv valve , and then back into the intake manifold as a vacuum source. it is NOT connected to the intake tube. THIS is where a catch can should be used

the breather line goes from the valve cover to the intake before the throttle body and simply provides vacuum for the top end of the head.

two differen't systems.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 16 2003, 06:04 AM
gabe, i think you are confusing the breather line with the pcv system.

the pcv comes out from the back of the block and up into the intake manifold (usually) and through the the pcv valve , and then back into the intake manifold as a vacuum source. it is NOT connected to the intake tube. THIS is where a catch can should be used

the breather line goes from the valve cover to the intake before the throttle body and simply provides vacuum for the top end of the head.

two differen't systems.

hey thanks b, since you have the same block as me, can you tell me exactly where it is on the gsr block? a picture would be helpful too if you could get one. the thing was only 3 bucks, im not that stressed over it, i just want to know where it is so i can get to it to replace it.

and what about the P73 marking inside the distributor? any ideas on whats goin on there? im jus wondering if it is actually a itr dizzy. doesnt matter much i guess, i was jus curious.

a little help? can someone please tell me where the pcv valve is located on the gsr engine? also can some one help with my distributor question? thanks.

pics are VERY helpful :)

you can actually see it here:
ctrheadbottom.jpg

thanks for the reply, looks like itll be pretty hard to get to on my engine, its really tight in my engine bay, and with the gsr intake mani, it doesnt make things easier. is it in the same spot for the gsr engine? im more looking from answers from B or calesta becasue i know they have the gsr engine, but anyone that has a gsr engine can answer too. i just want to know exactly where it is.

but again, anyone have any idea on the distributor, it says p73 right under the cap on the little plastic guard that covers the guts, any ideas? just want to know if its the itr dizzy and if its any different from the gsr one.

Back