importing a car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

biglee414

OK, here's the deal, im trying to tell my little brother that it is not econamical to import a car from japan, he found a skyline and im trying to tellhim that between shipping and getting it licensed over here, it would cost 4x the purchase price of the car.

motorex has a monoply on it for skylines. forget about it any other way, unless its for race car purposes only.

I thought motorex's website was www.motorex.com what is that address? not that I want to import anymore, just wanna look around. kinda like when you get marryed, you still like to look.

Why is that? It doesnt make any sense that you cant bring a car you bought home with you.

skylinegtr.com is their website.

it makes perfect sense- its not US legal. the DOT has strict rules here int he US of what deems a car road worthy. Japans doesnt.

all glass, lights, bumpers, brake lines, hoses and all sorts of shit needs to be changed, and then, a vehicle needs to be crashed tested. motorex fronted the cash on crashing 10 skylines. now, they own it.

B, I don't know about that. There's a Nissan dealership in Dallas that is importing and certifying Skylines. I don't see how Motorex could have a "patent" (someone else said this in another thread) on certifying a particular car for legal use in the States- they're just meeting a standard. Just because they did the crash tests doesn't mean that they're the only ones who can sell the car... unless they have specific mods they have to perform to meet the crash test standards that nobody else can do...

I don't remember which dealership in Dallas does the importing, but they estimate about $25k to bring in an R32 GT-R, then another $8000-10000 to make it legal.

what are all the websites you guys know about importing? or that import for you. I was kinda wanting a ae86 then convert it to RHD from a corolla GTS parts, maybe a vinswap, just because I want the body. but let me know, because my buddy has me on these little things again and also he is trying to sell me his he picked up for $500, for $800 and he has done nothing to it just marked up the price a bit. So hook me up if you can.

Just buy an old Corolla GT-S here in the States. It will be cheaper and easier than shipping and certifying a JDM model to drive on US streets.

I bet the only thing they have a patent on is their research and any modifications they made to make them strret legal. Aslong as other people do it differently and don't infringe on that patent they its legal.

yeah but I don't want to make the JDM for road use here. I just want the shell, and the motor, and the rear end, and the seats, and the trim.....and ummm....the glass...oh yeah don't forget the tires, acutaly I basicaly just want the whole car, but plan on not driving it on the roads, I was just wondering if I could get a JDM one for a few grand shipped, but I don't want to meet some guy off the internet I wanted to see a place that has been doing this for a while. let me know what you got.

http://www.google.com

I don't know... but really- why do you want the JDM model over the USDM model if you're just going to tear it apart? Shipping a car overseas isn't really cheap.

Jeff- you're probably right... but I know a lot of people out there believe that Motorex is the only place that's allowed to sell Skylines Stateside, and that's just total BS.

motorex is a cool site if you loaded. try to get a loan and insurance for a skyline. skylines are cool but are they really worth it? you could do a lot with 50 g's.

in order to have it be legal, there needs to be a VIN. Motorex has legal right to create vin #'s for the car now in the US.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...MVSS/index.html
all those need to be met as well.

This does not include shipping, bonds, tarriffs, custom brokerage fee, and associated shipping fees. The additional cost varies as the bond cost (450% of the value of the vehicle) , and tarriff cost(2.5% of the value of the vehicle) varies with the value of the vehicle , also shipping can be roll on/roll off or container.

There are mandatory requirements for the DOT and EPA . Including crash testing , air bag testing , and OBD II to meet the Code of Federal Regulation requirements. Since Nissan did not perform any of these requirements , motorex has independently completed the research and development. you are paying for that as well, as you would with any product.

US emissions, speedometer , crash structure , lighting ,glass, US VIN , warning , and information labels all need to be changed to US spec.

Back