Importing Autos??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably cheaper than buying a new s2k
bwahaha is that your car in the avatar?!?!?

this fools running 2 honda 2000's
went to hector and ordered 2 motec systems exhausts,2 sets of ricey taillights,and 2 naaaaaws tanks!!!

you can only legally import older cars into canada
i think 95 is the cutoff

getting one into the US LEGALLY is next to impossible
crash tests and all that shit make it impossible for your average person, and even the company that did the skylines got caught in the dirty

its toretto Brian, its always been toretto

To the OP if it was so cheap and easy to get cars from Jap dont you think we would all be doing this, I know if it was easy I would have a skyline in the garage.

a buddy of mine got a sir civic about 2 weeks ago, that was street legal in canada we took it to the dmv place they said so this car was registered in canada and he said yes, then they said well as long as all the lights and stuff work then if will be good to go.and he is now legal for us roads

I knew someone that got a skyline sent over here. Cost him 20k I believe... just for the shipping and the registration.

Importing 2 JDM s2k's being less than a USDM s2k? Seriously?

First off, a JDM s2k runs you from 1,599,000 - 3,599,000+ yen, which is $14,500 - $32,500+. That's for the car alone.
Every JDM vehicle has to conform to the FMVSS we have set up here in America. Guess what, JDM vehicles are not crash test rated. You know what that means? If your car isn't on the list of acceptable vehciles, you'll have to buy a 3rd one and crash it. After the crash test you'll have to modify the 2 you want off of the crash test data so they will conform with the FMVSS. And just cause we have LHD s2k's here, it's been shown that RHD cars crash differently. So you can't get away with it conforming cause there's a LHD version here already. Also, an imported vehicle has to conform with all existing FMVSS regulations. That means that if a reg came out in '07 for example, and you want to import a '99, it still has to conform. So you get screwed into paying more for all that shit too. Than you have shipping and customs costs to go through still. Your logic and thought process is way off.

Your best bet is looking in Canada for one that has been made to conform to the CMVSS, which is closely related to our FMVSS. That way your work into getting it to conform, your money and time spent and the pile of paperwork to fill out will be slgihtly less.

Here's a link to the DOT rules, regulations, list of vehicles, list of registered importers and all the forms you'll need for them. Vehicle Importation Regulations

Happy hunting! But when you fail and end up buying a civic or something, let me know. :D

the import is the easy part for me. working with international shipments all day long. im just worried that i'll get the car in the us and then not be able to drive it... that would suck... any1 have a s2k dash?,jk

i also don't have emissions where i live and i know various people with inspection licenses.

SIG thanks for the fmvss lecture hmm...

Last edited:
the import is the easy part for me. working with international shipments all day long. im just worried that i'll get the car in the us and then not be able to drive it... that would suck... any1 have a s2k dash?,jk
yes you're right. you should open up your own import shop.

any god damn mongoloid can find a shipping/freight service..........

didn't you read anything posted here
:nobreed:

im just worried that i'll get the car in the us and then not be able to drive it...

The only way that'd happen is if you can't afford it. Which, unless your wasted fucking rich, you probably can't.

NHTSA Vehicle Importation Guidelines said:
...the importer must contract with a Registered Importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and post a DOT Conformance Bond in an amount equivalent to one and a half times the vehicle’s dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal Customs entry bond. Copies of the DOT Conformance Bond and the contract with an RI must be attached to the HS-7 form. Under the contract, the RI will modify the vehicle and certify that it conforms to all applicable FMVSS. Before an RI can modify a vehicle, NHTSA must have determined that the vehicle is eligible for importation based on its capability of being modified to conform to all applicable FMVSS. If no determination has been made, the RI must petition NHTSA to determine whether the vehicle is eligible for importation.

So that kinda shows the process and the true cost of it all for you.
1.) Buy 1 s2k and crash it to see if it can be modified to conform
2.) Buy your other 2 s2ks
3.) Pay for importing, using an RI
4.) Pay customs costs to get it into the US
5.) Put down a 1.5x value bond on both cars
6.) Pay for the RI to make the vehicle conform
7.) Pay for title, registration, etc.
8.) Don't crash or you just wasted a fucking ridiculous assload of money

i also don't have emissions where i live and i know various people with inspection licenses.

NHTSA Vehicle Importation Guidelines said:
For federal regulations concerning vehicle emissions, contact the Environmental Protection Agency, Certification and Compliance Division – Imports Program

...there are federal EPA rules. I haven't researched what they are and if an s2k would need to be modified, but don't just assume you won't have to do anything cause your state doesn't have emissions.

What would it take to get it licensed under something like a kit car?

You import the shell, or find a wrecked shell in the states, then import a motor and you can register it as a kit car. ( I believe you can do it this way, Im not 100% positive on it though.)

You import the shell, or find a wrecked shell in the states, then import a motor and you can register it as a kit car. ( I believe you can do it this way, Im not 100% positive on it though.)

That's what I mean... buy two 2ks, pull motors, import them separate, install motors and license as kit car.

You might be able to find a loophole too, and be able to import them without a steering wheel or something...

Come to think of it, how would they even know if you imported them complete or not?

a kit car is a car without a vin.
since your cars have vins (even if not of this country) it is not a kit car.

it really doesnt matter,i doubt this fool has the cash to even buy 1,let alone 2 and then import them

I don't know why someone would want two...

My guess was that he was thinking about importing one for himself and then selling the other for profit

If it doesn't have a crash-test. Forget it.

I looked into importing my civic to the US. Not going to happen for less than $10000.

EDIT: it's so low, because I would get it shipped for free, and because everything else in the car is DOT spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back