in need of brakeage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PLA5151

okay, I got my setup listed below in the sig, recently converted to rear GSR disc brakes...and was looking to upgrade the rotors and calipers all the way around. I'm looking for rotors that:

1) can tolerate high heat and resist brake fade
2) have little dust
3) low noise

in order of importance. Just wondering what other people may have and how it works for them, suggestions on which brand is good and why.
Also was wondering what exactly the pros and cons between cross-drilled and slotted rotors are. Much thanks

Yes go with blanks. They may hold heat longer but ultimately will have better braking.

You don't have much of a choice on calipers unless you're willing to spend a bunch of money, then you might as well get a wilwood kit or something like it.

because you stated low dust and low noise i recommend the Hawk HPS pads
they have very good stopping power and are resistant to fade
they dont dust as much as the HP+ and are not as noisy
they are a very good agressive street pad

for rotors i recommend brembo blanks

for further resistance to heat fade i HIGHLY recommend upgrading to a high performance brake fluid
i use ATE super blue
others have had good luck with motul

So, heres a question: What is different about brembo blanks vs every other aftermarket rotor out there?

And I've heard that the best track/street pad is EBC Green stuff. Any opinions/experiences? Not a thread jack, I'm after the exact same info he is.

well back in the day the pads were made with other shit that accumulated a gas between disk and pad....not any more....by cutting/slicing the rotor you loose contact area....

I realize that. But you could argue that the holes and slots add surface area to the disk which improve cooling. But that is blank vs. drilled/slotted

What I'm asking is, what is so great about a brembo blanks vs. other's blanks..

quality mostly
ive run the cheapo no name rotors before and they warped quickly... ive been on these brembos for a few years now and they are still standing up to everything i throw at them
some people use the $20 auto zone "lifetime" waranty rotors... but around here lifetime means one time... and for as fast as i fucked them up its not worth it to me
ill stick with the brembos for $40

and the cooling is mostly done by the vents not the cross drilling... cross drilling saves weight, thats it.... so if you are running 14 inch rotors this might be a concern... if not then all you are doing is reducing your braking surface, efectivly reducing your stopping power
slotting is to remove any glaze from the surface of the pad... not needed when you run a GOOD pad.... a lot of racers still use slotted rotors for the added insurance... but it isnt needed

now i know i am going to hear from 5000 asshats that switched out their worn out stock shit with some cross drilled crap and think their braking is incredible.... yeah compared to worn out stock shit anything is incredible

and as for the EBC greens... they are garbage... they are an OEM replacement street pad for stunnas... they dont dust as much and the dust they do make is whitish in color so it doesnt show up like the dark shit of normal pads... their heat resistance is garbage, and they offer about as much stopping power as any generic ceramic pad.... not worth the time or money IMO... and yes i have driven on them... i have also driven on the EBC reds (their "street/track" pad) and they too were not impressive... i have driven the EBC blues (their track only pads) and they blow nuts... they need to be warmed up before they work (like any track only pad) and they still didnt hold up as well as my Hawk HP+
IMO stay the hell away from EBC

so what size blanks would be sufficient for my setup? and where can i look to get the hawk pads from?

you get the ones that are for the brakes that you have
you said you have a GSR brake setup on the car right???
in that case you would get your brakes for a GSR

and http://www.tirerack.com
has everything you need

ive ordered SHIT LOADS of stuff from them
never any problems
infact they even contacted me to verify and fix an order when a set of springs didnt match with a set of shocks i was ordering for my mazda
their service is second to none

Back