In the market for a GPS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

So i've decided that I need a GPS- After taking a 5 mile scouting walk and finding tons of great places to hunt with trees that I can climb with my treestand I realized that there is no chance i could find a lot of them in the dark, even with a compass

so i'm shopping for a GPS- I know most of you aren't hunters, but i figured lots of people have a GPS at this point so I'm wondering which ones you guys have and what you think of them or which ones you've heard good things about

I'm not looking to spend more than ~$150 so that puts the 350 full color magellan GPS's out of the picture

I just need a basic unit, that is fairly easy to use, and has the ability to: back track routes (incase I get lost), mark a LOT of waypoints, has the internal memory to handle uploading topographic maps and is generally a tough unit as I tend to be pretty rough of things that i'm carrying into the woods

Originally posted by Havok@Oct 25 2004, 09:20 PM
Nextel has GPS built in their phones. :)
[post=407397]Quoted post[/post]​

got it..my company i work for gives discounts on nextels :woot:

get a map and compass

i have goen through a couple of the cheapos they just dont last in a wheeling truck. Walmart has some decent cheap ones from 90 bucks candain. try them for the money they work ok

so, cancel your shit. get an i730 and get the gps for 10 bucks a month extra. in the long run, its cheaper than a 300 unit + service charge.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 26 2004, 12:05 PM
so, cancel your shit. get an i730 and get the gps for 10 bucks a month extra. in the long run, its cheaper than a 300 unit + service charge.
[post=407597]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:..i thought nextels GPS was going to be a joke...alot better then a i thought

lol, wtf are you paying 10 bucks a month for B? GPS is free.

Originally posted by Havok@Oct 26 2004, 03:58 PM
lol, wtf are you paying 10 bucks a month for B? GPS is free.
[post=407675]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont pay for it, and i don't have it either... but its an option on my phone. i dunno.

you shoudl enable it for me.

:)

GPS comes free on all of the new phones from nextel. It is enabled....You have an older version of the i730...If it dosen't work, take it to a wireless place, they will update the software...Motorola rushed that phone out, it had issues prior to 6/04...If you get shitty service, or drop a lot of calls, same thing. We told Motorola to get their shit right, they released a new version of the phone, along with a mass update of software for it in July. I'd do it over the phone if I could, but we don't have access to updates. You can call in have try TeleNav free for a month tho--let's you plan out maps from your phone using Java, and reroutes you if you miss your turn, it rocks.

i bought the 730 less than a month ago i'd say...
my service is fine. i don't think i have an old phone.

i dunno- i go in, it says last position: 0,0
i click refresh, which goes to scanning for satelites...

and it just sits there for 10 min and goes "unable to find a satelite"

meanwhile, i have above 3/4 service signal. i dunno

Yeah, that's a pre-July one...if you want GPS, just go into the store and get a software update--free and takes 5 min.

I know you said 150, but..... for me that prized buck/bull is worth not cheaping out.we have the magellan meridian platinum. it's not the color one, but is actually much better. it has the built in compass that automatically changes. (on other models you have to walk 10 feet before it knows which direction is north)

Back