in the middle of tranny swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davets

Ok, so I've pulled all the lines conneting to the engine off, etc. vacuum and fuel and coolant. I disconnected the wire harnesses as well as took out the battery. Now I belive its the speedo line that goes from the fire wall to the tranny that I cant get undone. Not sure if it's clipped on or screwed on or whatever, but I just cannot get it.

So I said fuck it I'll take apart the linkage. Got the torque bar off, and then went to take the shift rod off. Took the little saftey clip off and the god damn pin that holds the shift rod to the tranny is fucking stuck. I tried beating it with a rubber mallet, hammering it out with a screwdriver and hammer, but that thing is stuck good. I put some rust buster on it to see if that makes any bit of difference.

So I guess my questions are, how the hell do I get the speedo cable off and what should I do about that pin?

But other than that its going great, ran into a few bolts that broke when taking them out but nothign to serious, one was on the exhust manifold shroud, and then another one was on something that didn't matter much as well. Found out that I need a new radiator, as mine was fucked beyond belief even after fixing it.

Any who, lunch time and then back to trying to get this shit apart.

im assuming you have a cable transmission? CRX/civic? would have been a tad useful to include that, but i figured it out anyway, just a heads up.

for the speedo cable there should be a clip on the VSS where the cable goes into the trans. remove the clip and the cable should slide right out.

and the linkage pin...better known as the bitch pin. an air hammer will work, or a hammer and a punch. mine was easy but some people have the hardest time with it. if all else fails just remove the linkage and the tranny together and work on it off the car.

you DO NOT want to use screwdrivers and things on the bitch pin

this will cause the pin to mushroom and be even harder to get out...

you want to use a small 1/4 socket with an extension...
the socket should be the same outer diameter as the bitch pin
if you have real long entensions it might help to attack it from the top of the engine bay...

if all else fails you can do as above and remove both, or you can drill the pin out and get a new one...

try using the socket and extensions from the top first though

Quoted post[/post]]
you DO NOT want to use screwdrivers and things on the bitch pin

this will cause the pin to mushroom and be even harder to get out...

too late :mrgreen:

didnt mushroom it, but by no means did i help get that sucker out.

I put a 3/4 inch breaker bar resting ontop of it since it stuck out above the top and tried pounding it out. didnt work. But I got the linkage off the shifter end and now its time to torch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: well first I gotta pull the engine still (had to run some errands) but then torch time

Update:

Got to breaking the hubs and my passanger side lock was uber locked and smashed, so that took some time doing. Then went to unbolt the exhust only to find it completely rusted together to the point where it seemed welded. So my dad and I are in limbo as to continue and risk getting into replacing the exhust system, when I really only need the car for another 3 months. Is it really worth the risk?

Who knows. So I think I've decided against it and living with a grinding tranny and hopefully it won't go out. At least I'm replacing my radiator and fuel filter while my engine bay is semi empty, so it wasnt a total loss of effort.

But if anyone can provide any reason at all to continue and replace the tranny do say so, as I would like to do it, just fearful of the cost I might get into.

Just cut the two bolts that attach to the cat, they're like $3 at honda/Acura.

The bitch pin, I had the correct size punches so it wasn't a terrible ordeal, a lift would have made it easier but I dealt with what I had.

Worse comes to worse, cut the whole cat out, and weld a flex and test pipe in. If you can't weld, you'd need to replace the cat unless you know people because no exhaust shop will remove a cat for you.

Quoted post[/post]]
Just cut the two bolts that attach to the cat, they're like $3 at honda/Acura.

lol no not that part under there, already replaced those with bolts frmo the hardware store, they were like 43 cents a piece?

I'm talking about the transition from the exhust off the front on the engine that goes down to the dp i think

why are you taking that off?

To replace the trans, it doesn't need to come off. If you're pulling the engine as well, just part it at the cat.

Quoted post[/post]]
why are you taking that off?

To replace the trans, it doesn't need to come off. If you're pulling the engine as well, just part it at the cat.

yea pulling the engine, cleaning engine bay etc

my only concern is the cost, as I have no idea

Back