In the name of religion...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Your entire argument rests on the "Muslim" world all agreeing that Osama and his crew are actually Muslim, but I think that if you actually asked anyone that practices Sunni or Shi'a islam, they would tell you that at best they are Wahabi which most do not consider Muslim, or at worst they have hijacked a faith to use for polical gain.

SSL0207 said:
my statement was that the percentage of Christians who act (act = the present tense, as in, i'm not talking about power hungry pope's 1250 years ago) as terrorists (ie doctor sniping, clinic bombing) and the number of people they have killed or harmed is significantly smaller than the percentage of Muslims who act as extremeists and the number of people who have been killed and harmed by them...
How many Muslim Extremists do you think are out there? Which then leads into, how do you define an extremist? I think that you'll find that if you use the same definition, that the percentage of total followers of a faith that are considered "extremists" are very close, not matter what general faith you choose.

The problem with you statement about dropping what happened 1200 years ago is that they set the stage for the relationship that Europe and later the US would have with the Middle East.

SSL0207 said:
i support this with the fact that most freedom loving countries are chasing muslim terrorists... not evangelical bible thumpers or snake handlers..
I have to argue semantics here, freedom loving as in whom? The US, not likely. We have abandoned most of the freedoms garaunteed to us by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in the name of "saftey" from terrorism. So does this nation fit in that category? We certainly don't love freedom for everyone else, the US has a history of backing dictators that were friendly to its interests over democratically elected governments. That doesn't sound like freedom loving.

SSL0207 said:
my second point is that the Muslim culture (as in, what is inherent in a Muslim society) is much worse for the rest of us than is Christian culture (as in, the way most christians live)...
You keep referring to this Muslim Culture and you don't seem to want to listen when I tell you that there isn't such a thing. So, why don't you explain to me what Muslim culture is?

SSL0207 said:
women free to be equal humans > women without freedom, in absolute submission
This is very common thinking here in the US, but I have a couple of questions for you? First, are you 100% sure that this is the way it is in every Muslim household in the world? Second, are you sure that it is legislated and enforced by each Nation that has a Muslim Majority?

The Iranian families I know give their daughters all of the same opportunities as their sons. Each husband has a relationship with his wife that falls somewhere in the range of relationships that you would find here or in Europe. In Iran, the student bodies of the top 4 universities are 70% female. The split is closer to 50% for professors. Women in Lebanon, Iran, Iraq(now), and Pakistan are given exactly the same freedom and protection under the law that is afforded a man. That is not to say that there are not gains to be made, but we have our problems with gender inequality here as well.

These conclusions you are drawing are not supported by anything but prejudice. Before you act on assumptions like these, you really should talk to people from the area.

SSL0207 said:
kids with a good education > kids with less education (which is the general pattern in countires in which the law is based on Muslim religous law)
It is true that educated children are better, but your description is lacking. Before the war in Lebanon, their school system ran much like ours does. In Iran, when someone graduates from High School, they have completed the equivalent of a Associates Degree here. Their last year of school, they have to take a test that determines which, is any University they get into. Their college works like it does in Norway, as long as your grades stay up, you get a free education all the way through PhD if you want it.

SSL0207 said:
economy powerful with large middle class > a society in which all the money is in the hands of ultra rich oil barons...
The countries where this is true are the countries where the US made it true by making those in charge of the oil dictators and the US continues to support them. In Iran, the oil profits fund education (the reason they can pay for anyone that qualifies to get a PhD) and to fund the poor (the reason that they do not have a homeless problem).

Back