incar footage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Feb 3 2004, 02:05 PM
Do they really have that where you can auto-x your own personal car??

Uh... that's what autocross usually IS. You take your own car out and race it. Nobody wants you to race THEIR car on a track, beat it up, then give it back to them... unless you're paying them a LOT of money. $20 for a race day doesn't quite cover a car rental.

Just always wanted to do that but never herd of anybody else doing it with their own cars. I never knew that the track people let other than NASCAR/INDY/etc. drive on the track. Tight, I will look into it.

I went to Sears Point Raceway back in the day (1994) and I was walking on the track after the race and some offical dude said its not good to walk on the track and to walk on the grass because we were going to mess up the track. Ever since then I thought they were keeping it only to professional cars and drivers.

Oh- that's not necessarily autocross. Most autocross is done in parking lots with cones... track days are something completely different.

They probably didn't want you to walk on the track because they literally didn't want you to "track" any foreign material out on the race surface. Any oils, weird dirt or other stuff stuck to your shoes can make some spots that behave badly on the track. You don't want a slick spot when you're cornering at 100mph+ right? Clean tires won't do that.

:werd:
those are open track/HPDE events, not auto-x. you should check it out, i love it. my brother in law and i are in process of building a honda challenge car (http://www.hondachallenge.com) for competition. check out http://www.nasaproracing.com to find out about HPDE, thats the organization i do it with. guarantee do it once, you'll be hooked forever.

thanks, i'll have to check out yours when i get home, i know i've seen a few of them though.
yes, it can be dangerous, you need to approach it as if you don't know anything about driving at all. first few times have an instructor with you and they will teach you the basics.

do the instructors do this for free?can I set this up at the event or do I need to set it up before?

the race track here offers a diver school for 350 bux.. its basically the guy tells you how not to get killed then rides a few laps with you... you can use your car or the schools...prolly varies elsewhere..

Originally posted by deth101@Feb 3 2004, 05:24 PM
do the instructors do this for free?can I set this up at the event or do I need to set it up before?

the way it goes in the league that i run in is:

drivers are broken down into groups by skill / experience

novice drivers have to have an instructor in the car with them any time on the track for the day

intermediate 1 drivers have to have an instructor in the car for the first run of the day, then may request one for following runs

intermediate 2 drivers do not have to have an instructor (not sure if they can request one)

advanced drivers just dont need them

instructors ARE instructors and by definition dont really need to have an additional one in the car with them, although they do often go together for whatever reason

price varries by track $175 - $225

generally there are 4 runs of 25-30 min in length

and there is 3 or 4, 20 min class sessions

the way NASA HPDE works is

HPDE group 1: drivers drive with instructors in car or lead - follow at a moterate/slow pace. passing is almost non-existant except for large straights. instructors do not cost any extra, they voulnteer in exchange for free track time. i also suggest riding with your instructor in his or her group (usually group4) to experience the track at speed. you learn why you take certain lines on corners.

HPDE group2: drivers have no instructor, but are at the same pace/rules as group1.

HPDE group3: next level up, passing is limited in the morning and is later opened up to open passing anywhere on the track by last session.

HPDE group4: many race prepped cars, open passing all day. this is also where you can apply for your competition license.

groups 1&2 run together, while 3 and 4 are seperate.

we get 4 20-30 min sessions, sometimes an open track at the end of the day, depending on how many races are going on that day. cost is normally $150 a day, laguna seca is $250 :eek:

no classroom sessions, groups 1&2 just get a quick 20 min lecture on passing, learning what the line is, track ediquette, and flag meanings.

i highly suggest nasa, i put their link in a previous post. membership is $35 a year, and you get a free subscription to grassroots motorsports magazine :thumbsup:

only requirement needed is valid drivers license, MA95 or greater helmet (i have sa2000, highest rating you can get), and a car in good running condition (no leaks, everything is sound.) get out and do it, i attend almost every nasa event. there are also private clubs ie: http://www.unlimitedlaps.com that offer a similar environment to learn driving on the track.

www.speedtrialusa.com is also a great place. i did my first track event with them last year and they did an exellent job of organizing it and getting max track time for everyone. (got like 140+ miles in one day 11-5). unfortunatly they are not as big as NASA so they only have like 4-5 tracks that they operate at.

Back