Incorrect Hard DisK Free Space

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Windows XP Pro, SP1
C: 60GB / 41GB free space
D: 120GB /3.93GB free space
E: 120GB /70GB

I was getting some stuff from BT and my hard disk was getting quite full

Well I did some house cleaning and reorganizing and I've moved about 25-30GB of data from D: to E:

well windows is still reporting drive D: as 3.93GB free space which is incorrect

I can't seem to find a fix for this other tna copying my data off D and reformating the drive, any other bright ideas ??

i had that same problem on my maxtor 20gb, but i forgot how i fixed it(i think i used disk defrager or something).

Check your drive for errors using Disk Manager, then defrag and see if that helps some. You could always fire up PartitionMagic and see if there are any FAT errors that can be fixed externally.

Yeah run scan disk and disk cleanup and defrag. That should take care of the problem. Also run though your install/unistall list and remove programs you dont need any more.

as I said, I exhausted any tools I know of including scan disk, defrag,disk clean up etc... and the drive I'm working with has all personal data on it. Uninstalling programs won't help free up space in this instance.

I ended up moving all data off the D: drive and reformating it. and moving al lthe Data back to D:

BT has a tendencay to do this. i've noticed it too.

the big thing is the clustering of a lot of files.

for example, if you right click on the d:\ folder or whatever drive it is from my computer, select properties, it will show both a size and a size on disk. the size on disk is the one that matters. but windows inccorectly displays it as the size.

There shouldn't be that huge of a discrepancy with cluster waste though- having 30GB free on a 120GB drive and only showing 4GB free is a HUGE difference. That points to a FAT error, not cluster waste.

Yeah , it's NTFS
but the reformat fixed the error, I'm assume the MFT got fuxored

Yeah- it happens every now and then. Thankfully I've never had it happen with NTFS, but there's always a first time... especially with the amount of data I'm always moving back and forth.

:(

ive had a maxtor 120gb for nearly 5 years now... no problems ever... :)

Post to fix server database date problem - ignore this post.

HondaSwap Staff

Back