info on good cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delsolr

i have a 93 del sol si with the JDM ITR B18c

i was looking for a good cam set up to go with my type r i know i have the best OEM cam out there so i was looking for a good aftermarket cam. i did research on toda vtec killers. and i'm looking for a god streetable cam with hard hitting vtec.

let me know thanks

hey did you do the b18 swap or did you buy it like that? if you did do the swap what all did you have to buy to set it up. I'm trying to get the b18c1 in my del sol.

Well if you want to make really good power on an all motor B series engine, you will want toup your compression ratio (CR). The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to get a thinner (2 layer) head gasket.

There are many different companies which make them, but the best are made by people like:

*Cometic
*HKS
*Spoon
*Mugen

... I also think Hondata makes them as well, but I don't remember. If they do, those are good to go as well. In any case, Cometic is probably best as far as quality VS cost is concerned.

Basically, this is what you want:

Lightning Motorsports - Cometic Head Gasket for B16, B17, B18C1, B18C5 - CXXXX-XXX

You would obviously pick the "higher compression" option when picking which HG to buy.

If you have a JDM B18C (ITR) engine, then your stock CR should be ~11.0:1 and with the Cometic HG you would up that to around 11.2:1. Now, which this still isnt ideal for an all motor set up, you can get away with it. If you really want to go all out though, you will also want to have the head professionally milled just a bit. This wil allow you to get the CR to ~ 11.5:1 to 11.6:1. That is around the magic point where the more agressive cams start to really shine.

With these compression ratios, I would suggest you go with cams such as the Skunk 2 Stage-2, Blox Type-B, Jun Stage 2, or Toda Spec-B.

With those cams, and the proper bolt on parts you should be able to hit the 200FWHP mark with ease.

Edit: *Some* people will tell you that you can just peel a layer off the stock head gasket, making it s "2 layer" unit. YES, you CAN do this, but the likely-hood of it blowing out on you, especially at higher compression ratios and with aggressive cam profiles is pretty high. I suggest that you DO NOT DO THIS. Also, if you decide to have the head milled, make sure you take it to a place which knows WTF they are doing and which has experience doing this on B Seires Honda engines. Too much milling can and will royally f-up your entire engine. Its not too hard to do, but dont let your friend hack at it with his new Dremel.

Last edited:
wingnuts:
i swapped it myself. i bought it out of an eg hatch , mine is the SI so it was SOHC Vtec (d16z6) i used my stock harness and parts of a gsr harness for Knock and secondary 02 but if you get tuned you wont need those sensors, the thing that kicked my ass is i got the gold shift linkage and in order to complete the swap you'll need to but the del sol Vtec coupe (b16A3) shift linkage in order to work

the bolt ons i have is the
password jdm powerchamber ( i recommend it, my VTEC hits so god damn hard it almost breaks traction :)
and the buddy club spec 2 exhaust, and of course no power steering, or A/C their over rated my del sol weighs 2150 LBS with a full tank of gas
i also have a 4-1 header on the way (ceramic DC)

wingnuts:

password jdm powerchamber ( i recommend it, my VTEC hits so god damn hard it almost breaks traction

rolleyes008.gif

Back